Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to remove engine grills? little side ones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I'm refurbing the engine bay and I'm wondering how do you remove the engine grille screen portions on either side of the main grille? I want to remove them and repaint black. Looks like there are 3 studs that hold them in place?
PeeGreen 914
yup. You just need to pop the little gromits off and they come right out.
SGB
They push up along the back edge, then pull the whole thing back to pull away the pins at the front,
jasons
I think theres 4 total. 3 on the horizontal grill part. 1 on one of the vertical tabs.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jasons @ Dec 15 2007, 04:03 PM) *

I think theres 4 total. 3 on the horizontal grill part. 1 on one of the vertical tabs.

no... only 3
rfuerst911sc
So the grommets slide off similiar to the ones that hold the name badges on? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I don't want to break these. Thanks
TINCAN914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 16 2007, 06:04 AM) *

So the grommets slide off similiar to the ones that hold the name badges on? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I don't want to break these. Thanks

Yep.... Just reach under the grill and pull the washers (for lack of a better name) off.
rhodyguy
the retainers have little metal discs, with teeth that grasp the posts, imbedded in them. trying to spin and lever them off just cuts into the post. here's the fast and easy way to be rid of them. crush the retainer with a pair of pliers. it will flatten. then do it again 90* in another direction. this breaks the disc and the retainer will just about fall off. this removal method really works well for not distroying the plastic posts for the grill lettering. new retainers are available from the usual suspects. if your welting is tattered, i think craig/camp914 has new material.

k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.