Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of Front-Spoiler should i run?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
Hi guys and gals,
looks like i'm going to be busy doing some bodywork to my car soon. i bought a set of extra wide GT flares (9/11) to accomodate the 9x17 and 11x17 wheels i bought a while back.

while i'm at it, i'd like to replace the hacked up 916 rear bumper with a new 916 bumper and add flared rockers.

i'm also thinking about changing the frontend. i'm kinda torn between redoing the front with another 916 bumper or going for a completely different look.

so what do you think? i attached a few pictures of "options" that are out there ...
idea.gif Andy

1. the current 916 frontend:

Click to view attachment

2. Getty GT bumper and valance

Click to view attachment

3. Sheridan nose

Click to view attachment

4. AIR IMSA front spoiler

Click to view attachment

5. AIR Group 5 front spoiler

Click to view attachment

6. AIR SCCA front spoiler

Click to view attachment
Rusty
I voted other.

I seem to remember that there is some great custom work being done with plywood these days. chairfall.gif
sww914
I like this nose.
Rusty
How about this one?

IPB Image
GWN7
hahahahahahahaha beerchug.gif happy11.gif
Dr. Roger
IMHO...
Sheridan all around!

but don't do it until I do... LOL

IPB Image
piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif smoke.gif pray.gif
swl
Sheridan is by far my fav with big flares. That said your current 916 is really nicely done. I like the one piece look between the body, eyebrow and bumper.
sixnotfour
here is another one ;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=78293&hl=
Scott Carlberg
I like either the AIR SCCA or the Sheridan piece, though those 2 look good with their perspective 'body kits' also.

Not sure what's going to look Great with the 916 Flares.
DanT
I prefer the more stockish look with real bumpers or at least FG, with this type of front spoiler.
has opening for oil cooler and brake cooling ducting
Eric_Ciampa
I agree with Dan, I like the stock (or stockish) bumper and Getty's look pretty good. The only thing is that I have never seen these with the extra wide flares.
J P Stein
Unless you're really bored, I'd leave it alone. Front aero for AX in not critical and unless you're going w2w racing....DE isn't worth buggering up your paint job for any return in lower lap times. It's not a competition then, is it (cept maybe against yourself).

With a 3.6L your biggest challenge is going to be the rear end....keeping it behind the front. biggrin.gif Anything you can do aerowise there is gud.

That said, the best front piece I've seen is the one made by groot........there is a thread here somewhere.......

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...83&hl=groot
sixnotfour
Here is the ordering info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=60885&hl=
smokey
Hey Andy ; Have u thought about a hole cut in the front trunck for fueling ? jerkit.gif popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
My buddy ,914Mike created this one. He owns a Harley now.
lotus_65
is this a street car, or a track car?
PatW
I think you should figure out a way to spike it out.. biggrin.gif

All kidding aside.. I think its fine just the way it looks but, if I had to choose I'd go with #3
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 15 2007, 08:41 PM) *

I prefer the more stockish look with real bumpers or at least FG, with this type of front spoiler.

Can someone confirm this is a GT Racing valance? I'm curious if the oil cooler opening protrudes far enough forward to mount a oil cooler in it and not have to hack up the chassis for clearance? I want to maintain a stock looking front trunk but add a small oil cooler up front for my 3.0 /6 conversion. This is one of the few valances that seem to protrude far enough forward to allow air flow behind the cooler without cutting the chassis. Comments?
J P Stein
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 16 2007, 04:57 AM) *

Can someone confirm this is a GT Racing valance? I'm curious if the oil cooler opening protrudes far enough forward to mount a oil cooler in it and not have to hack up the chassis for clearance? I want to maintain a stock looking front trunk but add a small oil cooler up front for my 3.0 /6 conversion. This is one of the few valances that seem to protrude far enough forward to allow air flow behind the cooler without cutting the chassis. Comments?

I had a 73 9eleben at one time with an RSR front valence....big cooler behind it.
That will make you paranoid...a soccermomSUV giving you a parking lot love tap can
put you outta business & cost you a whole lotta money.

I put my 914 cooler inside the front trunk without a whole lotta hacking. If you want pics, lemmeno.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Rusty @ Dec 15 2007, 09:48 PM) *

I voted other.

I seem to remember that there is some great custom work being done with plywood these days. chairfall.gif

Ha Ha Lawrence. The plywood is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got a real chrome rear bumper on the car now, the front is at the chrome shop. The plywood rear actually saved my ass end when a guy rear ended me at a stop light. Destroyed the plywood, but no damage to the body!!! beerchug.gif

At least my car hasn't been painted purple with a short nap roller. KMA.gif
DanT
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 16 2007, 04:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 15 2007, 08:41 PM) *

yes there is enough clearance. I had a 19 row Mocal cooler mounted in mine with stainless lines and aircraft aluminum fittings front to rear. 911 thermostat mounted in the rear near the engine....it was very slick and very expensive.
JP is correct about always worrying about the safety of the cooler though.
I never had any problems but always thought about it. You just have to be aware. Plus my car was very low so every driveway had to be negotiated at a pretty large angle of attack to keep from scraping.
I had that car for ~5 years, with that setup and never had any problems. Kept the motor very cool. It was a very strong 2.7L RS motor.
sww914
But seriously, I really like the Sheridan nose. He doesn't make a separate hood that works with hinges, however, and his widebody kit only works on a tube framed car. His parts are super light. I painted the back of his car after he got hit at Willow Springs earlier this year and it was so light that I didn't have any trouble moving it around by myself.
SirAndy
the problem i'm having with the 916 bumper is that it has a very noticeable "dimple" along the front edge. the contour does not follow the line of the hood, the front edge is narrower in the center of the bumper.
that part i really don't like ...

the sheridan front spoiler looks *ok* but i'm not sure even his "narrow" body front would work with the GT flares.

the AIR scca nose looks like a stockish fiberglass top with a big plow/splitter attached to it.
i do like the lines of that setup.

this is my daily driver btw. i do AX and plan on running DEs next year, but it's really driven on public roads daily.
it's not so much about downforce but rather trying to minimize the air going under the car. i also need some fresh air to the brakes and of course plenty of air to the oilcooler ...

idea.gif Andy
David_S
I had to vote for keeping the 916 front end. No real reason other than .....ummm.....just because I like the looks of the 916 front !!
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 16 2007, 10:11 AM) *
the contour does not follow the line of the hood, the front edge is narrower in the center of the bumper.

An hour and a few cheap supplies and you can make it look anyway you want. Fixing that particular issue would be E-A-S-Y! wink.gif
Demick
I've never been a fan of the 916 bumpers (especially the front). I'd definitely go with the Getty 914-6 bumper and valence.
GWN7
You know if you change it, it will no longer be stock............... poke.gif rolleyes.gif

I like the pigs nose best biggrin.gif
Rand
My favorite style is the stockish early style front bumper, with an air dam below.

John / VegasRacer's car is a good example.

Click to view attachment

Or Groot's is a good example of taking it a little farther.... Still stockish-shaped bumper, but making the lower air dam a little more extreme. (Like JeffH posted.)
Rand
Groot 2...
Porcharu
I goofed, I intended to click the Sheriden I think it looks the best with the wide flairs.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Well Andy, since you asked.......I'd go with the "period" look befitting the 914 during its initial competition debut. Go Getty for the /6 GT "look"
jd74914
Groot bumper/spoiler combo biggrin.gif
TeenerTim
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 17 2007, 01:42 AM) *

Groot bumper/spoiler combo biggrin.gif

Me too! I'm seriously considering this for mine.
Eric_Shea
I'm with Paul.
nsr-jamie
I would either keep the 916 bumpers or better go with the GT look with the Getty kit, the rest of the kits are just too wild for a vintage 914 in my own thoughts, but thats just me. Its your car. I would do what your heart says and have no regrets. Cheers
woobn8r
Just like the one on BLOOD RED 914...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=8&st=2880

or getty GT
horizontally-opposed
If you got the extra wide GT flares you've been looking for, my vote is in for the GT front bumper and valance, but only if I can talk you into doing the GT rear bumper.

Just think your car would look great as a replica of the cool 914-6s that raced in Germany back in the day. Simple, purposeful, bad-ass. And now you've got the 3.6 to back that up.

I see black bumpers and valances plus deep Fuchs with RSR finishes (painted black and silver, so they're cheap and easy to take care of).

Mmmmn....tasty.

Then again, do what you will, I like the fact that your car is very much YOUR car.

beerchug.gif

pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 17 2007, 09:33 AM) *

I see black bumpers and valances plus deep Fuchs with RSR finishes (painted black and silver, so they're cheap and easy to take care of).

i already got the wheels and they ain't "period correct" ... biggrin.gif
i'm not sure they would look ok on a GT clone? idea.gif

Fikse FM10's, 9x17 with 245-45 and 11x17 with 315-35 (Hoosier Dot R's)

IPB Image

IPB Image
jhadler
I prefer the "stockish" look. So I voted for the GT. The rest are pretty much 80's vintage appearance except for Groot's work of art. If budget were no object, I'd get Groot's.

I like the one Dan has pictured... As a matter of fact, I HAVE one! And if you want it, I'd be more than happy to sell it to ya. I don't plan on using it. I acquired it a while ago, in the hopes of using it, but was a bit too tricky to make it work within my rules set in the SCCA. There is nothing at all wrong with it. The brake duct openings are well placed, and the opening for the oil cooler was made to look like the 911 RSR front I believe. It's been hanging on a hook in my garage for a couple years now. It's not overly deep, but my guess is that it would provide more air for the oil cooler than the GT setup. The GT looks like it would allow more air under the car.

-Josh2
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2007, 10:33 AM) *

Ah... well that changes things a bit.

Not sure how they would look, either, but I'd swap em for 16x7 & 8 Fuchs and tires or, better yet, 16xwhatever you want & whatever you want wheels by having Lindsey make up a set of their RSR 17-inch Fuchs based on four 16x6s you send them. My mechanic is doing this, and they're $500~ a wheel, finished. If you do the 17s, then you keep your tires, too.

I just see your car in red, with GT bumpers front and rear, and RSR-finish Fuchs (15s, 16s, 17s, I don't care) and I say hummina, hummina....

If you're fixed on the Fikses (nice wheels, BTW!!!!!!!), then I'd still go GT bumpers in black, or maybe that wicked CF spoiler/bumper Groot entered in the runnings....

pete
Eric_Shea
Lindsey make up a set of their RSR 17-inch Fuchs

That would be way cool...

I just see your car in red, with GT bumpers front and rear, and RSR-finish Fuchs

agree.gif
kart54
Groot, Groot, Groot. or the Sherian narrow kit. First choice would be the groot with a spolier.
Randy
orange914
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 16 2007, 06:42 PM) *

My favorite style is the stockish early style front bumper, with an air dam below.

John / VegasRacer's car is a good example.

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif my vote is for flexable over non-flexable on the lower part. i've had both types on different vehicles and the flexable ones are the only ones that lasted on the street. you do alot of street driving dont you? my older son "understands" that now as his is M.I.A. on his tricked and freshly painted civic. headbang.gif (honda andy not 914 kenny)

minus lower spoiler now!
Click to view attachment

mike
ajracer
Tuff call !

But since you asked, I think the Groot - Carbon Fiber style would be the
best and even considering this myself for my street / track use.

Since I already have a front fiberglass GT bumper and GT valance for the
smaller GT flares. However my reason for changing is the desire to have
a functional front air dam, with a splitter. But seems nothing is available
that would mate to the GT flares/GT bumper without some "work". The GT
valance doesn't in my mind really do anything other than direct the air flow
under the front of the car, and counteracts my plan for more down force.

Challenges will be to get what you want that mates well to the GT flares.
But what ever you do it will have the look "you want", so go for it and be
proud of the result. Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !

Allan
effutuo101
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2007, 10:33 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif those rims. Trade ya for a set of Boxter rims? I will have the scuffs fixed and have them painted which ever color you want.... stirthepot.gif
Chris Pincetich
Has anybody installed a groot carbon fiber front end on a 914 with normal ride height?
I just wonder how low it would be for street driving. I want one because it would look cool next to my other carbon fiber parts. beerchug.gif
Sir Andy - stick with the "916" beerchug.gif
andys
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 17 2007, 11:02 PM) *

Has anybody installed a groot carbon fiber front end on a 914 with normal ride height?
I just wonder how low it would be for street driving. I want one because it would look cool next to my other carbon fiber parts. beerchug.gif
Sir Andy - stick with the "916" beerchug.gif

I seriously considered the Groot air dam. It is a nice looking piece! After exchanging e-mails and photos with Kevin, I think it will be too close to the ground for a street driven car (for me). I think it was pretty much intended for a track application AFAIK. Too bad, as I really like the look.

Andys
r_towle
agree.gif With McMark
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 16 2007, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 16 2007, 10:11 AM) *
the contour does not follow the line of the hood, the front edge is narrower in the center of the bumper.

An hour and a few cheap supplies and you can make it look anyway you want. Fixing that particular issue would be E-A-S-Y! wink.gif
BKLA
17" fakeyfuchs with gt flat finish (from "subiedude" - see pelican parts thread) with getty GT bumpers and valence. GT look with current tech tires!
Click to view attachment
resto- mod!

But I think the car will look very cool with the wheels you have and the GT bumpers!!!
drooley.gif
horizontally-opposed
Gotta say I like the looks (and forged aspect) of the Lindsey 17s better....

pete

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.