Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This ain't....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
Got the engine rebuild done today & I thought we'd go over a few things.
The main thing is expense. Including a set of NOS Mahle 10.4 :1PCs, the total cost was under 4K.....the PCS were 2800. My original cylinders (Nikasil) were scored but could have been replated for 900 bucks. The 9.5:1 pistons were fine as frog hair.

On to the pics:
J P Stein
But wait, there's more......
J P Stein
OK,OK, I'm about done.
Rand
Mmm, I love wide hips when everything else is lean....

IPB Image

Nice work JP. Looking forward to hearing that thing run.
DanT
Nice JP....looks like that should be a nice piece of propulsion

where have you been? confused24.gif smile.gif
McMark
MMmmmm, beautiful. I love looking at motors. drooley.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 16 2007, 06:34 PM) *

Lurk mode mostly. I've burnt out on certain aspects of the 914 internet experience. huh.gif
drew365
Very impressive. You get a lot done in a day.
DanT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 16 2007, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 16 2007, 06:34 PM) *

Lurk mode mostly. I've burnt out on certain aspects of the 914 internet experience. huh.gif

sorry to hear that JP....I always enjoy your pithy replies...don't be a stranger. I know you have a pretty think hide. bye1.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(drew365 @ Dec 16 2007, 08:02 PM) *

The pics represent about 5 weekends. The date on the camera is all hosed up & I've given up resetting it. I wasted a weekend by leaving out some parts in the case.....nothing important, just half of the lay shaft bearings..... and had to crack it open again. headbang.gif
Other than that progress was steady but not speedy.

Now I need to get going on the engine room redo including some reinforcement of the inner ears. I am surprised they have held up with no cracks but don't wanna push my luck. The Mueller rear needle bearings will get a close look having been in there untouched for 3 or so years.
DNHunt
Great work JP. That really is pretty. I'm looking forward to watching it run.

Dave
VaccaRabite
NICE.

It always looks so easy in the pictures....

Zach
ConeDodger
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 16 2007, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Dec 16 2007, 08:02 PM) *

The pics represent about 5 weekends. The date on the camera is all hosed up & I've given up resetting it. I wasted a weekend by leaving out some parts in the case.....nothing important, just half of the lay shaft bearings..... and had to crack it open again. headbang.gif
Other than that progress was steady but not speedy.

Now I need to get going on the engine room redo including some reinforcement of the inner ears. I am surprised they have held up with no cracks but don't wanna push my luck. The Mueller rear needle bearings will get a close look having been in there untouched for 3 or so years.

Ha! I did that. Put the case halves together, looked down in the tray and said "why do I still have cam bearings sitting there?" LOL!!!
Chris Pincetich
JP - you da man! That is a thing of beauty. I really hope you can make it down to CA, or me to OR, for a AX race in 2008! I'll be in Portland all next week with family.....VERY INTERESTED in the service life of the needle bearings, please report back. Zerks seem like overkill but might be a good idea if you see rain or wet surfaces that could affect the grease.

Keep up the good work beerchug.gif

thesey914
Great to see you post again JP and great to see your pics of the six. Why did it need rebuilding to start with -didn't fancy putting a 4 back in then? wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
Yeh, I missed that chapter too. What told you it needed a rebuild? And will you need race fuel with the CR generated by those pistons?
All that silver and red sure looks pretty. That alone ought to be worth a second or two! Nice.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 17 2007, 03:59 PM) *

Yeh, I missed that chapter too. What told you it needed a rebuild? And will you need race fuel with the CR generated by those pistons?
All that silver and red sure looks pretty. That alone ought to be worth a second or two! Nice.

It had been down on power for 18 months or so, then it started missing at an AX. The missing was ignition related, but a leak down test said......whooosh....or wurds to that effect.sad.gif

Tearing it apart showed scored cylinder walls due to too little ring end gap....the guy what built it screwed the pooch. Since I was there......the bottom end looked real good as did everything but the cyls. There's a long sad story about the price of .25 under bearings ( icon8.gif ) these days that I won't go into. Fortunately I had a std/std crank under the bench...off for a Mag & polish.....std/std brgs are cheep.
Anyone need a perfect .25mm under 2.7L crank?

BTW, nuthin' fancy about a 4 pooper....IMO.
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 17 2007, 08:25 AM) *

I'll be in Portland all next week with family.....VERY INTERESTED in the service life of the needle bearings, please report back. Zerks seem like overkill but might be a good idea if you see rain or wet surfaces that could affect the grease.

Keep up the good work beerchug.gif

Yeah, me too. I have the arms off but haven't yet cleaned the bearings & whatnot to get a looksee. No rust..... lots of grease is about all I can see.

You're welcome to stop by while you're in Portland....after the 27th.
PM for a PH# if you're interested.

brp986s
Are those 993 dilivar studs top and bottom? Sunset wanted >$30/ea so I only used them for bottom row.

Do you know anything about ARP "austentic" studs? I wonder if these are the ones Performance Products sells as "domestic" dilivar.
Rick_Eberle
Oh my god, is that a VW engine stand? Holding a SIX?????
effutuo101
Nice Work! Hope to see it in person soon!
J P Stein
QUOTE(brp986s @ Dec 17 2007, 07:21 PM) *

Are those 993 dilivar studs top and bottom? Sunset wanted >$30/ea so I only used them for bottom row.

Do you know anything about ARP "austentic" studs? I wonder if these are the ones Performance Products sells as "domestic" dilivar.

Yes, the studs are the 993 Dilivar. The great head stud debate is too long to go into here but suffice it to say there are many experts on each side of the issue.
The logic of Dilivars made sense to me so I used them and would use them again.
They held the original torque for 7 years, near as I could tell, & no leaks.
The mag case had case savers installed at that time.

The engine yoke is made for the 911 engine. I got it years ago when they were relatively cheep. I found a ..er..domestic Chinese (HF?) stand that fit it.
Porsche Rescue
That is JP's very cool (I have used it) custom creation. The stand is generic (Harbor Freight?). He removed the single support leg and replaced it with two (see the black square tube) spaced wide enough that his ATV jack will roll between. After removing the engine with the jack you simply install the yoke (proper Porsche 6cyl. version) and raise the engine to reach the stand. Real slick and all can be done by one semi-skilled operator.

Edit: he beat me too it, but I got the HF right! He is a csob some of the time!
J P Stein
The Meuller rear bearings look nice except for the washer facing the bearing. Shoulda been made outta harder material, me thinks. That said, the bearing wasn't damaged so we'll call it sacrificial........ idea.gif

I borrowed Andy's camera for the pic, but you get the general idea.
sixnotfour
looks like you need these,
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...sp?Product=3082
Chris Pincetich
Thanks for sharing JP beerchug.gif
Obviously, that photo sucks. Can't see if the washer is grooved or just discolored. Nay-sayers would assume that the washer gets grooved fromt he needle bearings and reduces the effectiveness of the system. That fat 2mm washer from Pegasus looks like the good upgrade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.