Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much do you drive your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
Just curious as to how often and how many miles do you drive your 914 per week? I use my 914 for commuting to work on the weekends, about 26 miles both ways. driving.gif
eg914
I also use mine for commuting. I go 20 miles each way, five days a week. Also any errands that I run on my own. Therefore, a minimum of 200 miles a week. I enjoy just about every mile! It is the best commute vehicle, as I usually feel happy and relaxed by the time I get home.
will
My wife tells me not to drive during the week due to heavy traffic and the safety profile of our 914. Parked next to a Ford Excursion and see how small the 914 really is.
familienauto
The 914 gets out for a spirited 5-10 mile drive on most sunny days. Driving one every day in Seattle would require keeping a very close eye on developing rust, I think! I'm sure a Seattle daily driver will correct me and say that it is possible though.

Zach
eg914
I try to drive with a overdose of paranoia, I know that no one sees me, yet they are all out to get me. I think this is the only way to drive a small car.
Hammy
I would estimate 100-200 miles a week. It's interesting.
watsonrx13
I only drive mine on cool/cold weekend days... 20-100 miles per weekend.

BTW, I have driven it on a long weekend to Biloxi, MS, 1400 miles round-trip, no issues...

Here in central Florida, it's the perfect time of the year for these cars....

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
I kinda slacked up a bit on driving mine.

27,000 miles in 4 years. It's been laid up since April 2007 but finally hit the Autocross courses 3 weeks ago. 70 runs in one day, gots lots of catching up to do.
TheCabinetmaker
See my avatar.
Trevorg7
When I was working I drove mine 84 miles a day/4-5 days a week or 336 a week or 16k a year. Add in fun drives and it is about 20k a year.

T
woobn8r
Drive it confused24.gif
Nobody said I was supposed to drive it.... driving.gif

My car is safely on jackstands where it feels loved sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif

S.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif

Driving the thing is just crazy talk!

Zach
Allan
There are times that my car will sit for a week or two at a time then I'll take it out for a few days and use it for trips around town.

Occasionally I'll take it on a fun run that may rack up 200 - 400 miles in a weekend.

Track events are maybe twice a year.
Mr.C
I use to drive mine 108 miles a day five days a week for a little over a year. It made an otherwise boring commute fun. The only problem I ever had was the fuel pump relay losing contact.
blitZ
I drive to work 2 or 3 days a week as long as it's not raining, 25 miles round trip. Definitely the errand car on the weekends. Probably 100+ miles per week.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(eg914 @ Dec 16 2007, 10:18 PM) *

I also use mine for commuting. I go 20 miles each way, five days a week. Also any errands that I run on my own. Therefore, a minimum of 200 miles a week.

Me too.
SirAndy
i work mostly from home these days, so i'm down to about ~200-300 miles per week. just got back from dropping the GF off at work and now i'm heading to the city (san francisco) for a biz meeting ...

driving.gif Andy

PS: last night, coming home from the bar, i played tag with a 911 turbo. gotta love that 3.6L ... biggrin.gif
Gustl
my teener is more or less a garage queen
I bought it in June 1999 with 76,872 miles on the clock
currently we are at 87,137 miles

so, the difference is 10,265 miles in 441 weeks => ~ 23.3 miles / week biggrin.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
Brando
Daily driver for mine... I average maybe 15 miles a day M-F, maybe less on weekends.
Eric_Shea
last night, coming home from the bar, i played tag with a 911 turbo. gotta love that 3.6L

For a minute there I thought it was with the forklift... that would have been fun. biggrin.gif
Coy
I work from home, but I try to find some reason to get out of the house every day. If the weather's good enough (but not too good 'cause then I really should get one of the bikes out and let it run... you know) I love finding a reason to meet clients in downtown Portland (about 130 ml round-trip) 'cause I really love driving in busy downtown traffic (the freeway's a different story altogether).

Long story/short.. I don't drive anything very many miles a week. Maybe 200-400 a month total. I'm lucky to get 2000 miles between oil changes in the summer months. I changed it in November and I'll be lucky to have 600 miles on it by February, but if the sun shines, I'll drive it... I can't stand to go 3 months without running it.
orange914
temparily amongst the jack stand crew mad.gif
Click to view attachment
Tom
About 800 miles in two years. Stays in the garage most of the time. It will last longer up here that way! HA HA
With over $7,000 in this car, it is expensive to drive per mile huh? Better not let my better half figure that out. I keep telling her it is going up in price every year.I can always hope , right?
After I retire, I'll have the time to get a few more miles on on the car. After a drive ,I still come home with a smile on my face.
Tom
toon1
If I added up the distance I've pushed the car back and forth in the garage in the past 6 month's, I would have to do an oil change biggrin.gif

It's really starting to piss me off headbang.gif BUT good things come to those who wait confused24.gif , I hope.

When the car was running, I drove it daily, I miss driving the thing, it made going to work that much more fun biggrin.gif
Slider
I probably avg a 100 miles a month i have a daily driver and my commute is 5 miles. but thats probably a good thing til i get some things done to the car.. unitl then its a fun 100 miles..it will be alot better but it satisfies my craving for now!

i cant keep track of the mileage at this point because the odometer doesnt work..

johannes
Not a daily driver. I only use it on week ends for the fun.
7000 Miles in 110 weeks (lot of fun) that will be ... ehhhrrr ... let me calculate ...

63.6363636363636363636363363636366363636363636363633636 per week of pure fun !!!
Gint
When I'm driving it, it's over 30 miles a day, every day. I use mine for daily driver until the low temps start to get to sub-20 or if there is snow coming out of the sky or on the streets.

idea.gif Maybe I should get a thermostat on it.
Silver Surfer
Was a daily driver (200 miles+ per week) never had any problems except for actually getting to work. There were many summer mornings I would drive right past the office hoping that no one would miss me for a couple more hours of cruising. It didn't help that I worked ten minutes from the views and twists of the old columbia river highway.

That was until I found a much better job last spring that I could actually walk to. Now she waits for me in storage and gets a spirited run (maybe 5-10 miles) once a week depending on the weather. I miss driving driving.gif but I don't miss 5:00 stop-and-go freeway traffic in a small, 33-year old, manual shift sports car with no radio. blink.gif
derekdenman
My 76 is my daily driver and the only car I own. I work full time and go to school full time and commute to both, in the 914. On average I easily do 80 miles a day 6 days a week. The first time I drove it, and first time I saw it in person, I drove it from Oakland to Oregon border and then back to Dallas Tx, over 2000 miles.

Only been towed home 5 times in 3 years... Thank goodness for AAA.
PanelBilly
Lets see, so far this year 0 miles and last year....0 miles hey at this rate I'll have a low milage car by the time I retire.......Then again, maybe I'd drive it if it had an engine or maybe if it was more than just a body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.