Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ducktail spoiler seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
My car came with a ducktail spoiler. I know that it does not do much, but I'm rice-tastic and I like the way it looks. I want to put it back on, but I want to put some sort of rubber gasket under it.

The PO did not have a seal on it, and water seeped under the seal and started rusting out the trunk floor.

It there any sort of flat weatherstripping, black colored that will do the trick? IE, can I just go to HD and get a roll of the stuff and have it pretty much work? Am I trying to over think a simple problem?

Zach
iamchappy
I have used a neoprene type garage door bottom weather stripping for the bottom of the spoiler, it has an edge on it that finishes off the bottom edge of the spoiler nicely.
I think i used contact cement to adhere it.
effutuo101
you could adhere some split vacuum tubing to it. comes out looking pretty nice. I would probably put some neoprene on the bottom of it to keep it from rubbing the fenders
stateofidleness
pics of spoiler smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Keep in mind this is my car before I started working on it. Looks more like my sig file now...
IPB Image
IPB Image

Duck tail is just a little spoiler. Does not add any function under 80 some mph. I just like the way it looks.

Also, when these pics were taken, that was the last time my garage was that clean....

Zach
jimtab
Get a roll, of Vicor, or bituithane (bitch-a-thane) at the building supply store...there won't be any water under there......but it's kinda nasty stuff to work with...
STL914
Another option would be to have the spoiler sit on several rubber or plastic spacers to keep it off of the trunk lid, allowing water to pass under it. This would also keep the ends raised from the fenders and avoid rubbing the paint.

Check out the way the spoilers were mounted to the late 60's Camaros.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.