Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs / Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bribar
I have read many threads looking for tire info and most have to do with different rims etc.

I have a 73 914 2.0 with original "2 liter alloys" or "four spoke fuchs".

Currently the car has circa 1985 Michelin XZX 165 SR 15's that have craxked sidewalls.

What is the tire of choice for a stock car with stock fuchs that will be driven on the street with a desire for a "factory like" ride?

I was thinking 185 60 15 or 195 60 15. I want no rub. Does tires this wide make the steering feel too heavy?

I would like to fill up the fender wells a litlle bit.

Suggestions?
McMark
I run 205 wide tires and don't consider the steering heavy. So the two sizes you mentioned should be fine.
DanT
the 195x60 makes a very good tire for a street car. They should fit on the Fuchs with no rub...
steering feel will be alittle different if you have been running the really skinny rubber from the 70s, but not going to break your arms either.
here is a pic of my car with the street tire/wheel combo.

not Fuchs but the tires are Michelin 195x60s
Porsche Rescue
I recommend 195/65. Same diameter as 165's so your gearing/speedo won't be affected. Higher profile will ride a little smoother than 60's. Also there are many choices/prices in that size (see tirerack.com). You might get a little rub on the inside front at full lock with 195's but you only go there when parking.
SGB
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 17 2007, 03:03 PM) *

Quick, Gint, tell me how to use the stinkin search feature the RIGHT way so I don't get every thread ever posted.
For instance, why did you use "+fuch" ?
What + fuch ? Why the + at all? Am I missing something?
bribar
With all do respect....even the search performed exactly as perscribed yields a bunch of crap I am not interested in.

The question is very specific.

73....narrow body...stock fuchs....what tires?

Don't care about flared fenders...five bolt conversions...backspacing.

Any Pics of your cars with 185 or 195 60 15 with above mentioned specifics would be greatly appreciated.

Dan thanks for the pic.....even thought they are empi's knowing the tire size and seeing the awesome stance is incredibly helpful.

Thanks,

Brian
Gint
Pardon me. Despite the fact that I *did* answer your specific question, I deleted my post so you won't have to go through that crap again.

Scott,
Send me a PM. I've been working on tech articles and I'm burnt out for the day. I can put something together later.
DanT
Brian, here is a pic of my car with Fuchs wheels but wearing 205x50s
Spoke
205x50x15 will fit. Smaller diameter throws off speedo and gives the car slightly lower gearing to make even a tired 1.7L feel a bit more peppy.

johannes
195 X 65 is the right size if you want to keep you speedo accurate and the "fat" tires look. 195X65 is considered as tire replacement for 165X80. They fill the fender.
Gint
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 17 2007, 07:34 PM) *

Quick, Gint, tell me how to use the stinkin search feature the RIGHT way so I don't get every thread ever posted.

This quote from an older post should explain it. By changing the +/- on keywords you can narrow your search. Adding plus in front of words means that you want threads that have *all* of the words that you placed a "+" in front of. Otherwise, threads with only one of the words you entered as search criteria may appear in your results. Make sense? Even the guy who started this thread could have found more specific results by also using some other key search words. Below this listing of the text of the "Advanced Usage Help" link in the search page is a picture of the link so you can find it easily.

QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 13 2007, 07:52 PM) *

Slits must be taking his monthly bath. Hallelujah!

The search here is a little different than most, but it's not hard...

Clicking on the Advanced Usage Help link in the search page immediately under the search text field will give you:

CODE
Use                   Means
apple banana          Find posts that contain at least one of these words
+apple +juice         Find posts with both words
+apple -juice         Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'
apple*                Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'
"Some Words"          Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom',
                     'some        words' but not 'some noise words'

The "Advanced Usage Help" link on the search page can be found here:

Click to view attachment
Richard Casto
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 17 2007, 09:34 PM) *

It's only 8:26 AM and I am already bored at work so I will answer this. biggrin.gif

Adding the "+" changes how it searches from an "OR" to an "AND". This makes the search more narrow.

Using this... "rub fuchs" ...results in this... "Find me posts with 'rub' OR 'fuchs'" which will bring back posts that may have one keyword, but not the other.

But with this... "+rub +fuchs" ...results in this... "Find me posts with 'rub' AND 'fuchs'" which is much more narrow. It brings back posts that have ALL the keywords with the "+" prefix.

Using the "*" brings wildcards into the picture. So if someone can't spell correctly, or you want to find variations of words, you use the "*". So "rub*" will find "rub, rubbing, rubs", etc. and "fuch*" will find "fuch, fuchs, fuches" etc. This will likely find posts you would have missed via the very narrow search.

So Gint's search brings up only 11 threads and by first glance at them, I would say there is probably one that has the answer?
Richard Casto
HAHA Gint beat me to it. biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Dec 18 2007, 06:42 AM) *

HAHA Gint beat me to it. biggrin.gif

I've been doing it for years... laugh.gif with pics and everything!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.