Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: consulting before purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
hey fellas, just consulting the experts before i make a few purchases. can you verify that these are the right parts? i have a '76 /4 2.0L

Fuel Filter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-Porsche...1QQcmdZViewItem

Clutch kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...A:IT&ih=004
good price?

FI kit: not sure which ID tubing i need for mine...
(All 7mm) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...A:IT&ih=004

or

(7mm and 9mm)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...A:IT&ih=021

and a couple more questions. these oil filters on ebay, can they not be purchased at like auto zone or somethin? how about the air filters? anyone got numbers?

also, ill be dropping the engine and tranny for the first time (a learning process in itself) and was wondering what else ya'll think i should fix/replace/upgrade while its out

thanks for the guidance in advance
-Steve
Cevan
"also, ill be dropping the engine and tranny for the first time (a learning process in itself) and was wondering what else ya'll think i should fix/replace/upgrade while its out"

That is a loaded question. Seriously, the list you could come up with is as long as you want to make it. I pulled my engine/tranny after I took the car off the road for the winter. I bought it in August so I want to check/replace things while it's out. Here's my list:

clean fuel injectors, replace rubber seals - done
clean/paint engine tin - done
replace fuel injection hose and non-FI clamps - done
fix thermostat cable - done
install CHT sender - done
back date exhaust to '73 SSI HE - done
replace pushrod tube seals - done
clean oil strainer, replace gasket - done
replace belt - done
replace various rubber boots/grommets - done
replace accel/clutch/speedo cables
check/replace shifter bushings
clean engine bay
replace rear brake lines with OEM lines
replace fuel lines in center tunnel
check/replace engine and tranny mounts
stateofidleness
should i even touch my tranny?

i will be doing most of your list... might take me a while 'cause im learning as i go, but its fun

are those parts i have listed correct?
Hammy
Autozone or most of your FLAPS are not going to have the oil filters you want. They'll have ones that will fit, but they'll be cheap crap. I get mine at a local German parts/VW shop.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Dec 17 2007, 01:42 PM) *

should i even touch my tranny?

ewww icon8.gif

get a few cans of brake cleaner and clean the hell out of your engine, tin and transmission.
then clean the engine bay and underside of the trunk (not with the brake cleaner!).
look for rust and cracked suspension ears.

smash.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Hammy @ Dec 17 2007, 05:21 PM) *

Autozone or most of your FLAPS are not going to have the oil filters you want. They'll have ones that will fit, but they'll be cheap crap. I get mine at a local German parts/VW shop.

I dunno. My local autozone carries bosche filters. I was under the impression that they were good.

get a few cans of brake cleaner and clean the hell out of your engine, tin and transmission.
then clean the engine bay and underside of the trunk (not with the brake cleaner!).
look for rust and cracked suspension ears.

I just used a power washer, and used a scotch brite pad dipped in marine clean to get the really greasy spots.
I would only do this if you have the electrics out of the engine bay, though - which I did.

Zach
type47
recent discussion here led me to buy a Mobil 1 filter at local FLAPS ($10). they also have Bosch at local independent shops and mail order parts places have Mann. i've heard bad things about Framm.
stateofidleness
anyone know the number for the oil filter?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Dec 17 2007, 06:34 PM) *

anyone know the number for the oil filter?

Different brands have different part numbers.
Stay clear of Fram. Bosche or Mobile1 filters are fine. I use M1 filters on my suby for the past 4 years with nary a problem.

You can just buy filters from AA or Pelican, but you will be paying a lot more for them, once you add in shipping.

Zach
CMONNETT
IF I WERE YOU I'D LOOK AT ZIMS AUTOTECHNIK IN DALLAS. YOU'LL HAVE THE PARTS THE NEXT DAY AND YOU'LL KNOW YOU GET THE RIGHT STUFF. I LIVE IN SAN ANTONIO ALSO AND BUY ALOT FROM THEM. YOU CAN ALSO LOOK AT PARAGON PRODUCTS, THEY'RE IN CORPUS CHRISTI. YOU CAN ALSO FIND THE MAJORITY OF WHAT YOU NEED AT BUG-E-WHSE. HERE IN TOWN.
benalishhero
Mann W/917 should cross to a 914. Pretty popular filter.

Bhero
Cap'n Krusty
2.5 feet of fuel hose won't cover the 12-14 feet you need. The filter is for early cars. Bosch (note the spelling) filters don't do well in scientific tests. Mann, Knecht, Mahle, and Hengst filters are all made in Germany, and are of good quality. The Cap'n
tod914
I might be mistaken, but that looks like cloth line. Which is fine for the feed and return under the tank. But for the lines inside the engine bay, you would want the high pressure braided rubber line. Do your oil cooler seals too while it's out. PIA to replace with them in.
stateofidleness
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 17 2007, 07:00 PM) *

2.5 feet of fuel hose won't cover the 12-14 feet you need. The filter is for early cars. Bosch (note the spelling) filters don't do well in scientific tests. Mann, Knecht, Mahle, and Hengst filters are all made in Germany, and are of good quality. The Cap'n

first one to answer the question wink.gif thanks

- i do realize that the entire system is more than 2ft but that kit was gonna be just for the under tank parts. was still unsure as to whether i need 7mm AND 9mm or if its all 7mm?

- guess ill keep looking on the filter.. cant seem to find one

- another San Antonian! awesome. do you have a link to the dallas place?
i still plan on making a trip to bugewhse, downtown SA scares me wink.gif lol

NEW question!
- ive seen pictures on the forum of guys with their cars on 4 stands and a board spanning the jacks on each side. is this a safe way to work on the car and "store" it while its not being worked on? what size board 2x4 4x4?
im not sure of the condition of the rockers or the longs (they seem just fine) but my pans are somewhat brittle and the bodykit somewhat conceals the rocker area so i want to distribute the weight as much as possible. i was planning on placing a jack directly behind the front tire and one directly in front of the rear tire with a board spanning the two. is this balanced and will it be safe?
CMONNETT
THE WEBSITE FOR ZIMS IS WWW.ALLZIM.COM IF YOU CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR JUST GIVE THEM A CALL. THEY STOCK ALOT THAT THEY DON'T LIST ON THEIR WEBSITE.
Gint
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Dec 18 2007, 06:32 AM) *

THE WEBSITE FOR ZIMS IS WWW.ALLZIM.COM IF YOU CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR JUST GIVE THEM A CALL. THEY STOCK ALOT THAT THEY DON'T LIST ON THEIR WEBSITE.
Caps lock key stuck?
CMONNETT
YES IT IS. I WORK AT A CAR DEALERSHIP THAT USES ADP. THEY ARE SET FOR CAPS LOCK.
stateofidleness
hold shift wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.