Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has experience using a Stud Welder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73Phoenix20
Need to do some (very) minor bodywork, consisting of pulling out the metal on a couple of silver dollar size dents where I cant get to the back side of them...

A Stud Welder and the appropriate slide hammer look to be the solution...

So... who has been there, done this???

And is an "El Cheapo" Harbor Freight Stud Welder going to be sufficient to weld up maybe 6 to 10 studs, or do I really need to spend $200 for a heavier duty unit?

I don't plan on using this beyond this project, and will probably dump it on eBay for a quick sale, so if anyone wants to buy one, follow this thread, and I will let you know when I am finished with the project!

Of course, all advice on the use of the gun is greatly appreciated!

Have a great Holiday Season!
andys
I have an HF stud welder kit (comes w/ slide hammer). Works fine, and you can buy additional studs from them as well.

Andys
sww914
Buy a cheap one, the main difference is the pullers, not the welders.
Don't hold the button down for too long. usually less than 1/2 a second, the you can just twist the stud off when you're done rather than grinding them off.
Also, start in the shallow parts and work your way towards the deep part.
73Phoenix20
Okay, sounds like good advice! I will be on the trail of a Cheapo Gun tomorrow!

And when I am done I will put it up for sale here! Might as well let someone else have a go at it!

Thanks in advance!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.