Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Joe Ricard
Posted this on the "other" site.
But figure this place could use something new.

This past Saturday I bought a retired race car no motor or transaxle.

Full roll cage, some gauges, Koni's, Kirkey seat, fiberglass front and rear bumpers.
Near perfect stock late doors. ( don't know why a race car would have such heavy doors but......) I will swap them for the FG skinned early doors from the RNR.

Floors are original and very solid, rear trunk has one tiny hole the size of a dime in drivers rear corner.

front trunk shows evidence of going faster than the guy ahead of him. Nothing major just banged a bit. My Yellow car has nearly the same thing.

Longs are the most solid of any 914 I have ever seen.

Battery tray has been replaced and is rusty. It will get removed for good. I think they are stupid.
Joe Ricard
nuther
Joe Ricard
and the happy owner. I already got to cleaning the roll cage. that surface rust is now just a memory.
watsonrx13
Car looks great Joe....

Can't wait to see and hear that thing running around the neighborhood...

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
Won't be registered for the street. I am going to build a full tilt boogey race car. Only lights will be brake lights.
Deck lids are off, going to replace them both with FG skins and pins.

Wire wheeled the floor pans and they are coming out very nice with hardly any pitting. Still got to pull the parking brake stuff to get under there.
charlesmac
Sweet find Joe... I guess this solves the delimna about putting a cage in the RNR. So what are the plans? flares, engine, etc... you gonna swap anything over?
Joe Ricard
All the go fast stuff from RNR will go in the white car. Not sure about flares but I got some crappy one's if I decide that route.

Howz Derek's old car coming?

charlesmac
Well, the work is going slow. I have the new passenger side fender, corner trunk area/inner fender welded on, still have the other fender, rear valance section, and corner of the trunk floor to do.
The good news is I have off till January 7th after Thursday. The rear clip that I got with the car has some rust and bent issues I'm having to deal with, but it's only metal right, out with the bad in with the good.
Hope to have the body work done before I go back to work, an maybe start on paint prep. We'll see...

You know you're used to them big slicks, how can ya deal without em?
GaroldShaffer
Sweet. looks like fun. I bought a FP 914 old racer last month. I have great plans to be on the road and racing in 2008.
Joe Ricard
Yes I seen Your thread and I am very jealous. Nice car as well.
Been working most of the day, got the dash out, removed the hamburger like wiring harness. right side head light bucket which was pretty bent up. both head lights gone.
Discovered that the front end of the car has been replaced once before I think original car was orange and the front addition is green. them joints look solid. going to cut the bent up pieces off the front apron and graft on the un-bent piece from Boosted's rusted tub.

Going to give him the 916 front fiberglass bumper.

This is so much fun.
Joe Ricard
Made some decent progress in the last few weeks. I cut off the bent up front Apron head lights and support rails. cleaned up the pockets under the head lights. probably lost 10 pounds in sand mud and leaves.
Welded on the better front apron section from Boosted's rusted white car. looks great.
Also have most of the floor pans cleaned up and ospho coated.
Rebuilt the pedal assembly with the weltmiester bushings.
Fixed the 150 MPH speedo as the Odoneter was not working. ( I don't think I have ever bought a car that that damn thing worked).
Stripped the wiring harness out which was pretty hacked.
Welded up one side of the rear shock tower to long junction and put a plate over it to put a brace tube to the cage.(haven't cut the tube yet).
drew365
What engine will be in it? I'll bet you, once you get a taste of a good track, your AX days will be numbered.
Joe Ricard
The plan is 2098 as soon as some very keys parts arrive. (LE200 heads).
I have been dreaming about it a lot. Already have the wheels and tires figured out to put on it.
Shopping for some early stock front calipers.
Joe Ricard
Nearly done with putting new front end on the car just need to attach the two braces.
Joe Ricard
In the pic above the trunk floor is cut out and won't be replaced. I plan on a splitter to go under the whole thing anyway.

Here is the joining plate for the rear shock tower and long
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jan 1 2008, 06:37 AM) *

Shopping for some early stock front calipers.

I have extras - core quality leftovers. Very cheap or trade, but you may find some closer sooner.
I'm sooo jealous of your $500 914 beerchug.gif
I need to clear more garage space before I take on a project like that.
Joe Ricard
How about trade some stock rear calipers

What else you need I might got it.
SirAndy
did 'ya add the VIN to the database?

idea.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
No not yet
Guess I better do that before I grind it off.
DerekKim
Hey Joe! Lookin good. Couldn't do with just one eh? Sounds like it'll be a blast to race.

I've been getting the itch to start autocrossing again. It'll be a while though. I have that Chevy Colorado right now.

Charles- I'm glad that you've been able to do some work on ol' Bernadette.
Heeltoe914
Any pixs to date or updates on plans for motor??/
Joe Ricard
Yea there is some movement a foote.
Has to do with selling the RNR buying a street-able Miata and sticking a big motor in the white car.
I'll be accepting donations all this week.
atomix8
I hope that was early April fools...how will you own 'just' one 914 ;-)?

Will the RNR be sold with or without engine?
Joe Ricard
Depends. looks like the RNR 2098cc motor likes race gas.

Going to go out and play with the car this afternoon. Got a new set of plug wires and 5 gallons of 105 octane.

If the 2098cc requires race gas then it will go in the white car and I will rebuild the original 1971cc hopped up 2.0L that was iiin the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.