Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 and electric speedo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GS Guy
Anyone worked out a solution for running an Autometer (or similar) electronic speedometer directly from the 914 trans speedometer drive?

I know about the VDO adapter - which I gather attaches to the end of the speedometer cable for a VW and converts to electronic signal for the speedo. I presume this would also attach to the end of a 914 cable similar to the VW? Seen several other adapters/converters as well, mostly for domestic applications.

What I'd like is to do away with the speedometer cable altogether, attach the signal converter either directly to the speedo angle drive - or better yet directly to the output on the transaxle without even using the angle drive. Any ideas on how to do this? Seems like a much cleaner solution just running wires off the trans than all the adapters, drives, cables just to get to an electronic signal.

I may have to end up whipping up a custom installation for this, but no sense re-inventing the wheel if someone has already worked out a solution.

Jeff
VaccaRabite
I bet for similar cost, you could just put in a GPS based speedo and be done with it. No fabbing, always accurate no matter what tire size (unless you do all your driving in a tunnel).

Zach
Phoenix-MN
Here's how I did mine

http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/elec_speedo.html

Paul
effutuo101
http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/0...ud-speed-meter/
neat.
GS Guy
Thanks for the replies guys, but gees - since when is running an electronic programmable speedometer considered "old school"?? Don't want a GPS gizmo, just a plain old speedometer! Appreciate the outside the box thinking though!

Guess I'll wind up growing my own. Probably try to use some combination of the GM converter since it's about 1/2 the price of of the VDO/VW unit.

That's a nice set-up Paul, but seems a little elaborate when all I really need is a little 'ol adapter off the tranny drive.

Think I'll try consulting Doc Evil, see if he's done any angle-drive-ectomy's lately...

Jeff
racunniff
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Dec 18 2007, 03:55 PM) *

Thanks for the replies guys, but gees - since when is running an electronic programmable speedometer considered "old school"?? Don't want a GPS gizmo, just a plain old speedometer! Appreciate the outside the box thinking though!

Guess I'll wind up growing my own. Probably try to use some combination of the GM converter since it's about 1/2 the price of of the VDO/VW unit.

That's a nice set-up Paul, but seems a little elaborate when all I really need is a little 'ol adapter off the tranny drive.

Think I'll try consulting Doc Evil, see if he's done any angle-drive-ectomy's lately...

Jeff

I went the VDO/VW route. I don't seem to have any good pics online - best I have are at http://volt914.blogspot.com/2007/09/cables...edo-hookup.html - but the key things were:
  1. Run a 3-wire cable from the dash thru the speedo tube to the engine bay
  2. Cut the tranny end off a 914 speedo cable
  3. Pull all the wires out of the metal sleeve (a pain in the rear)
  4. Cut the tranny end off one of the VW "adapter" cables
  5. Slip the sleeve over the adapter cable, crimp the snot out of it
  6. Mount the speedo sender and attach the cable

FWIW, I got my gauge & sender & speedo adapter cable at http://www.egauges.com
GrayMatter
Has anyone tried adapting one of the pulse generator kits from dakota digital to work with our cars? seems like it would be fairly cheap.

Dakota Digital
GS Guy
If it's any help, I found a company that said they make an adapter - screws directly onto the 914 angle drive. So just wires come off the trans up to the speedo. This is something I'll be picking up after the holidays, but want to get a little more info first. The company is called Speedometer Solutions:
http://www.speedometersolutions.com/

Apparently they make a number of custom speedometer conversion pieces for a variety of applications.

Jeff

GS Guy
Just a follow up here - in case anyone was holding their breath. blink.gif

Got the adapter from Speedometer Solutions. Connects directly to the 914 angle drive - like it was made to be there! No more speedometer cable.

IPB Image

and attached to the drive:

IPB Image

Makes for a nice clean conversion - and direct bolt on! aktion035.gif
Price is $115 for comparison to the DIY-ers and comparable to the VW adapter drives which attach to the end of the cable.
Jeff
SirAndy
damm, that's nice!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
WANT!
Want.
want want want want.

poor. sad.gif

Zach
BIGKAT_83
I used this for my LS1 V8 conversion for the VSS signal, and also run a electronic speedometer with it. Total cost $25.
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
I wonder if that would work with a late model 911 speedo?....hmmm?
alpha434
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 18 2007, 11:04 AM) *

I bet for similar cost, you could just put in a GPS based speedo and be done with it. No fabbing, always accurate no matter what tire size (unless you do all your driving in a tunnel).

Zach

I'm putting together a MS kit, and I was considering *just using a gps based speedo for the soft traction control system.

Then I realized that if I ever go out of range, I'll be putting that fucher into limp home mode real quick.

chair.gif

There's often a good reason for somebody wants to do something specific, and asks about it. It may be no more than personal preference- but around here, it's never because of a lack of information. Am I the only one who is offended when the very first reply is "do something else" ?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Dec 18 2007, 07:25 AM) *

What I'd like is to do away with the speedometer cable altogether, attach the signal converter either directly to the speedo angle drive - or better yet directly to the output on the transaxle without even using the angle drive. Any ideas on how to do this? Seems like a much cleaner solution just running wires off the trans than all the adapters, drives, cables just to get to an electronic signal.

There's often a good reason for somebody wants to do something specific, and asks about it. It may be no more than personal preference- but around here, it's never because of a lack of information. Am I the only one who is offended when the very first reply is "do something else" ?

Alpha,
No where in the above quote does GS Guy state he is basing his FI off his speedo, as you seem to be trying to do with MS. Infact, he is asking for options not to use the angle drive or the speedo wire. GPS speedo is a tech that I am kinda jazzed about, is not really used much in the automotive world yet, but it popular in other circles. GS Guy does not want to use GPS; hey, its cool.

But to you, I say fuck off.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
Wow Zach... what do you really think biggrin.gif

Leads Gullick has a nice set-up that he has had on his car for at least five years. I will have to go to his place and take some pic of what he has. I have always beren curious myself, but I've never really had a reason to look.
Cap'n Krusty
Well there's the answer to the question nobody's asking ........... Why? The angle drive is the weak link, and it's the one part you're using? What's wrong with the stock head unit and thwe cable. there's a LOT of nearly 40 year old teeners running around with the original cable and speedo head. The weak part of the head is the odo, and they go south in the electric speedos as ofetn as they do in the mechanical ones, and it's at least twice as expensive to repair. The Cap'n
GS Guy
No offense taken from the GPS guys - I thought that was a cool "high tech" solution, but a bit over tech for my application. Just wanted to be able to run an autometer speedo off the 914 trans, simplest way possible.

I did want to avoid using the angle drive, but Speedo Solutions said they tried that but the nut that screws into the aluminum housing in the trans is a real odd-ball thread& size and not readily available from anyone (except cutting up old angle drives just for the nut). Said they could and have done it as a custom build - at a significantly higher cost.....

Also must admit I'm a bit behind the times... I still use maps on paper to get around. biggrin.gif
Jeff
alpha434
What's the thread pattern?

Pics?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.