Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition box question- 914/6 conversion related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a 75 chassis that I will be installing a 911 3.0. I haven't looked at the wiring harness yet and I'm not familiar with 914s like I am with 911s so bear with the stupid questions biggrin.gif Did the 75 come with a Bosch CD box as standard equipment? And was it a 3 pin or 6 pin? And of the main players in aftermarket ( MSD , Mallory , Crane ) which is preferred? And why? Thanks guys beerchug.gif
echocanyons
No the 75's had standard coil ingnition with no CDI
can't answer the second part though
J P Stein
If you're going with carbs, I highly recommend one of the multi-spark jobbies & a high voltage coil. Run .045-.050 gap on the plugs and they will not foul.
I use the MSD 6AL & high vibration coil and have had no problems....but I figure they are about all the same. Summit Racing has the best prices I've found.....with great service to boot.
BKLA
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 18 2007, 05:43 PM) *

If you're going with carbs, I highly recommend one of the multi-spark jobbies & a high voltage coil. Run .045-.050 gap on the plugs and they will not foul.
I use the MSD 6AL & high vibration coil and have had no problems....but I figure they are about all the same. Summit Racing has the best prices I've found.....with great service to boot.

JP -

where do you have your ignition mounted in your car? Reasoning behind location selection? Pics?
Mike D.
I am also using the MSD 6AL and MSD coil. The nice thing about the 3.0 dist. is that it has a magnetic pick up and, with a slight mod, you can plug it into the MSD box.
effutuo101
can you break down the wiring for me?

from the 914/4 wire harness
black/purple tach? ( where did you connect it at)
black ( key power on +)
white (what is this for)
green ( oil pressure stupid light plugged in)

on my 6AL I have to sort out what goes where:

red/orange to + on coil
black in same sleve to - on coil

Large black Batt. Ground
Large Red Batt. +

white wire to distributor ( should I splice in the black and purple?
I found this pic from Aaron, but wanted to be sure before plugging everything in.
sixnotfour

white (what is this for)

auxilliary air valve, (not needed)

white wire to distributor ( should I splice in the black and purple?

No:
MSD white wire goes to your Distributors spade terminal.
BLK/purple goes to tach output on MSD like Aarons dwg.

The wires you labeled from the alternator go like this picture;
sixnotfour
Sorry for the slight highjack.

And was it a 3 pin or 6 pin? And of the main players in aftermarket ( MSD , Mallory , Crane ) which is preferred? And why? Thanks guys

wiring diagrams;
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
DonTraver
Couple of things about the tach. A stock 914-6 or 911 tach will not work with a MSD control module. Using the "adapters" won't work either. The tachs need to be modified to run with a MSD. There's a tach place in LA, think it's Hollywood speedo or something like that that can do the mods. A stock 914-4 tach will work with the MSD, but it won't read right, it's set up for 4 cylinders and you can't modify it to work with a 6. I bought a aftermarket tach that fit the hole for about $120, works with the MSD.

Good Luck
DonTraver
Looked up the tach I bought. It's a Autometer 233903, 5 inch with shift light. Got it at AJUSA. Still carry it, on sale too. Maybe this address will work. Works on 4,6,8 cylinder engines
http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/stores/detail...p;source=lookup

Good Luck
J P Stein
QUOTE(BKLA @ Dec 18 2007, 05:45 PM) *

JP -

where do you have your ignition mounted in your car? Reasoning behind location selection? Pics?

A convenient place where the battery usta' be.... happens to be in a fairly cool spot to boot. Old pic, but it's still there.... or will be when I reinstall it. 5/16" rubber mounts.
effutuo101
Sorry for the hijack. Thank you Jeff! I should have spark soon. JP. That picture of your motor is great! When are we going to see it in person?
J P Stein
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 19 2007, 02:47 PM) *

Sorry for the hijack. Thank you Jeff! I should have spark soon. JP. That picture of your motor is great! When are we going to see it in person?

That's an old pic.....from when the date goodie on my camera worked.

I dunno. Our first ORPCA AX on 2 March. I'd like to have it running again by then but early March weather is reeeel iffy....we could have rain, snow, ice, or all of the above.....2% chance of sun. I bitched long and hard about the change from 30 March but to no avail.

I'd like to do a couple PNWR's Bremerton events and certainly everything at Packwood come summer.

The site seems to be jacked up,eh?
GeorgeRud
Depending how for into the project you are, I would also consider Clewitt Engineering's Electromotive crank fired ignition kit. It gives a great spark, and the timing is much more accurate and consistant than the distributor/points combination.

Depending which unit you choose, EFI is also a possibility down the road. Otherwise you can just control the ignition with it.
Van914
When I installed the 3.0 this summer I used the Crane Hy-Fire and mounted it in the trunk. I ran the wires through the plastic cups that hold the top clips. I also had the distributor recurved to work better with the PMO's. One tip I was given is do not cut the green wire that is comming from the distributor. Mine runs great and a very easy conversion.

Van914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.