Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuep Pump Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
I am getting ready to hook up a CB Performance fuel pump, in front below the tank location. I have read where most people just connect the pump electrical supply to the std elec source for the old pump location, and jumper the control to power on the back relay board so the pump stays on whenever the switch is on. In the event of a wreck, the pump will continue to run. The pump documentation says to hook it in line with the oil pressure switch so it will not continue to run if the engine is stopped, by using the oil pressure switch and/or starter power to run the pump. I had a TPI Camero that was connected similarly.

I had originally planned to have a new relay and fuse located up front, with power from the battery supplying the relay, and the relay being turned on by power from the switch on. However at second thought, to achieve the non-pump run on when engine is not running, I think I can just use a normally closed set of contacts on the relay to power the pump. The coil of the relay would be in parallel to the the low oil pressure light- so whenever the light came on, the relay would open and stop the pump. I would tie in a wire from the starter switch to activate the pump if needed for starting. I am using carbs for now, so usually there should be enough fuel in the bowls to start anyway. The power to the pump would come from the normally closed contacts on the relay when the engine was running, and I would also have an alternative supply coming from the starter feed wire coming from the switch.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Joe O
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Dec 18 2007, 06:12 PM) *

Any thoughts on this?

turn off the key after you wrecked the car ???
confused24.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 18 2007, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Dec 18 2007, 06:12 PM) *

Any thoughts on this?

turn off the key after you wrecked the car ???
confused24.gif Andy

IIRC, CB makes a oil pressure cut-off switch for the pump.

Motor dies = oil pressure goes to 0 = fuel pump shuts off.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 18 2007, 07:15 PM) *

Motor dies = oil pressure goes to 0 = fuel pump shuts off.

and what if the motor doesn't die? confused24.gif

i'm just not sure this really helps in any way ...
idea.gif Andy
lotus_65
If you look at the route of the (stock) fuel lines, you might agree that they are fairly well protected from impacts. I think it would take a huge event or really poorly secured fuel lines to cause an appreciable risk.

It's really hard to imagine what I'd do in a wreck, whether conscious, unconscious, furious... One thing is for sure, I'd have to trust my plumbing skillz before anything else.
r_towle
Get a modern Ford Inertia switch for the pump.
Its for just this very thing.

Rich
Marv's3.6six
My sixer no longer has fog lights. So I ran the pump electrical off the fog light switch.
anderssj
I'm currently installing a Ford fuel pump inertial switch (FPIS) as a cut-off in case of an accident. It will go into the wire between terminal III on the relay board and the ground point (for more detail, see Sir Andy's post at: http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php)

I'll take some pictures when I'm done.

Another option might be to use a fuel pump relay set-up similar to the old CIS systems (VW, Volvo, Audi), but with a switch to mimic the ECS turning on the pump to pressurize the system for a few seconds--I'll have to look at my old manuals to get a better idea . . . .
swl
good point Steve. If you hook it to the oil pressure switch how do you get it started? Would there be enough oil pressure when the engine is turning over by the starter?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.