Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door jam repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
southernmost914
What is the latest way to repair the door jam to quarter panel seam? I think I remeber it being a lead seam. Should I spot weld, seam weld,brass braize or melt some sinkers?

Click to view attachment
McMark
Originally it is spot welded and leaded to look right. The lead isn't structural. I would try to repeat the original repair and use body filler instead of lead.
southernmost914
Thanks for the info.
tdgray
Look into a product called "All Metal" made by US Chemical. Get it at your local autobody supply store.

Much better than filler... impervious to water.
r_towle
Dont use brass whatever you do. I was told by a guy (I did not listen) that the paint will never stick.
It did for 6 years, but eventually it became bubbly.
I know there is brass on our cars, specifically around the tail lights, but I would never use it again.

For the proper German way....spot weld and lead.
For todays methods, faux spot welds with premium bondo.
Faux spot welds can be done with a mig if you drill holes in the top panel and practice on the bench with scrap.
Make the weld bigger and grind down with various tools of power..

The bondo...hmmm
On the 356 the door gaps were made perfect using lead on the edge that is perpendicular to the fender.
I have yet to do it, but I will soon be replacing a section the same as yours, but on a 356. I am told by many that bondo is fine for this.
I have my doubts.
It does not seem that in an area that gets alot of vibration and impact that it wont crack, but I hope I am wrong.

If you have never done lead work, well...it sucks.
Its a long long process that creates alot of heat on the panel, can warp, can also not stick if you dont tin it right...it just sucks.

Rich
sww914
If you keep the body filler thin, apply it on a clean substrate, and it's 1/8" thick or less, it won't crack. It is porous, so it must be protected from water on all sides. If it's as much as 1/4" thick, it may crack. If it's more than 1/4" thick, it will crack eventually. It's well worth the extra $20.00 for the premium filler- Rage Gold or comparable, it'll pay or it's self in sandpaper alone, not to mention ease of application or ease of sanding or durability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.