Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler dimensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
see pic
TeenerTim
Are there any differences in the inside diameters of the pipes?
Do the SSI heat exchangers really have a larger ID as some have suggested?

Good info BTW.
flippa
Nice work Jim!

I appologize in advance if this is a total newbie question.

I am going to put a 2.0 in my car, but the entire exhaust system is junk. I have a set of SSI heat exchangers and decent monza muffler which is currently on a 1.7 engine. Will the heat exchangers fit on the 2.0? If so, which muffler would have to be used, a 1.7 or a 2.0? Is the difference in width caused by the engine or by a different shape of the heat exchangers? If the system does in fact fit, would I be restricting the exhaust flow too much by using the 1.7 system?

I would like to reuse the exhaust system I have if I can as the money could be better spent on other parts of the restoration.

Thanks

Larry
TeenerTim
QUOTE(flippa @ Dec 20 2007, 11:01 AM) *

Nice work Jim!

I appologize in advance if this is a total newbie question.

I am going to put a 2.0 in my car, but the entire exhaust system is junk. I have a set of SSI heat exchangers and decent monza muffler which is currently on a 1.7 engine. Will the heat exchangers fit on the 2.0? If so, which muffler would have to be used, a 1.7 or a 2.0? Is the difference in width caused by the engine or by a different shape of the heat exchangers? If the system does in fact fit, would I be restricting the exhaust flow too much by using the 1.7 system?

I would like to reuse the exhaust system I have if I can as the money could be better spent on other parts of the restoration.

Thanks

Larry

Based on the above diagram you need to run the 2.0 muffler with the 2.0 pipes and the 1.7 muffler with the 1.7 pipes.
flippa
Tim, you are missing the point of my question. Jim clearly shows on his diagram that the bolt pattern on the 1.7/1.8 muffler is approximately 1.5" wider than the 2.0.

Maybe I should clarify my question. Is the difference in width due to the shape of the heat exchangers or the distance between the exhaust ports on the engine itself? If I hang the 1.7 SSI's on my 2.0 (if they even fit) what would be the distance between the bolt holes on the flanges?

The reason I am asking is because I have never tried to mix & match exhaust systems from different engines before. I'm sure someone out here has attempted to do this, so I figured I would ask before I bother to try it and find out on my own that it does not work.

It wouldn't be too difficult to modify the flanges on the muffler if the bolt pattern is slightly off, but why even try if someone definitively knows that it won't work & I would be wasting my time.

Will the HEs fit, and if so, which muffler would have to be used?
r_towle
The HE's bolt right up.
Gotta use the same system front to back.
Same size pipe internally from 1.7 to 2.0 liter.

Rich
Cevan
Aren't the exhaust systems the same for '75-76 cars? I've seen mufflers for sale that indicate they fit both 2.0 and 1.8 motors.
flippa
Thanks Rich, that was the information I was looking for.

It would have sucked having to purchase a new exhaust system since I have a perfectly good one on the car now.
r_towle
QUOTE(flippa @ Dec 20 2007, 02:04 PM) *

Thanks Rich, that was the information I was looking for.
It would have sucked having to purchase a new exhaust system since I have a perfectly good one on the car now.

I did not realise you are in MA.
Drop on by some day, I have all three systems, 1.7, 2.0, and 1.8

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 20 2007, 01:55 PM) *

Aren't the exhaust systems the same for '75-76 cars? I've seen mufflers for sale that indicate they fit both 2.0 and 1.8 motors.

the 75/6 cars are using a totally different HE system.
I have no idea if you can swap the mufflers.

Rich
jimkelly
yes - the wall is thinner - thus the ID is larger - but I do not have a steel he to measure - I can tell you the ID on sshe is 37.37mm x 31.84mm on the set that i have. jim

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Dec 20 2007, 06:57 AM) *

Are there any differences in the inside diameters of the pipes?
Do the SSI heat exchangers really have a larger ID as some have suggested?

Good info BTW.
flippa
I guess that this is an East Coast only thread (DE, VA & MA). Any comments from you West Coast guys????

I will take a measurement of the ID of the steel HE's when I get around to removing them in the next week or so. The parts car is sitting in the shop, but I won't start disassembly until after Christmas santa_smiley.gif.

Rich, I will give you a yell when I plan on stopping by. Send me a picture of how much of the front fender you need for your project, I will cut it off while I am chopping up the car.
jimkelly
no - the muffler for 1975/76 he's is a three bolt rounded style - jim

see this pic

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1198329115.jpg

--

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 20 2007, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 20 2007, 01:55 PM) *

the 75/6 cars are using a totally different HE system.
I have no idea if you can swap the mufflers.

Rich
Gint

The HE's bolt right up.

Rich

Clarification.

The inside diameter of the SSI 1.7/1.8 and 2.0 units are the same.

But the ID of the stock steel HE's are in fact different. The stock steel 2.0 HE ID is larger than the stock steel 1.7/1.8 units.
jimkelly
the bottom line is - regardless of ID ...

you can use 2.0 or 1.7/1.8 style steel heat exchangers or stainless steel heat exchangers on any year 914 motor as long as you use the muffler for that style heat exchanger and the muffler hanger for that style muffler.

jim
type47
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 20 2007, 10:55 AM) *

yes but different from 73-74 1.8 and 2.0. 75-> have catalytic converter
orange914
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 20 2007, 01:47 PM) *

The HE's bolt right up.

Rich

Clarification.

The inside diameter of the SSI 1.7/1.8 and 2.0 units are the same.

But the ID of the stock steel HE's are in fact different. The stock steel 2.0 HE ID is larger than the stock steel 1.7/1.8 units.

so... my 1.7 s/s h/e's ARE the same i.d. as 2.0 s/s's? but they are curved up at the end and obviously they must be curved out also. (the curves are my way of telling difference befween the 1.7 & .02). that is why the 1.7 measures 1.5" wider??? the 2.0 long block cant be 1.5" wider...???

mike
jimkelly
the exhaust ports on type4 engine are in the same location for 1.7 1.8 and 2.0 --- you need to use 2.0 HEs (steel or stainless) with 2.0 muffler and 2.0 muffler hanger --- or --- you need to use 1.7/1.8 HEs with 1.7/1.8 muffler and 1.7/1.8 muffler hanger --- and you are good to go : )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.