Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at a 2.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I am probably going to buy this 2.7 what should I be looking for, the engine is not in the car and so I cant hear it run but I would like to make sure I'm not buying an expensive anchor.

I understand the common problems for this engine are head studs, is there anything else?

How many miles do these things run before needing top end work?

BTW its from a 77 911 and it has CIS

Thanks
J P Stein
If you can't see & hear it run, don't pay more than you can part it out for.

If you can't rebuild it yourself, don't buy it.
thesey914
Take off the rocker covers to look for pulled studs.
Does it have hydraulic tensioners?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jan 3 2004, 10:34 PM)
... the engine is not in the car and so I cant hear it run but I would like to make sure I'm not buying an expensive anchor.

How many miles do these things run before needing top end work?

if it's not a 7R case, keep looking. (in that year, i think it probably is.)

85k-ish on valve guides. pulled studs can happen at any time but are more likely near the end of the service life. with lots of hard use the cases will warp. all these things are fixable, bring money.

CIS cams are really soft but necessary if you'd be keeping the CIS.

going price for a core engine is $500-$750 depending on condition and completeness. (does it have all the tin, does it have the alternator and cooling shroud, does it have ALL the induction, does it have the fuel pump and filter plumbing... does it have heat exchangers....)

ballpark on a 2,7 rebuild is $7500. depending on what it needs, your intended use, and how much work you can do yourself, maybe some less, but there is no upper bound, really (the 2,8 RS rebuild i priced out was at about $15,000 for parts and subcontract services only).
Brad Roberts
I'm liken JP's answer on this one.

Just stay away from it.. it is not worth whatever headache you may find with it. Buy a used worn out 3.0 and start from there. It will run you EXACTLY the same to rebuild a 3.0 as will to rebuild a 2.7 and the 3.0 has some value when you are done. I know the 2.7's can built into some screemers.. but so can the 3.0's.

3.0's are getting cheaper by the day. Most people are choosing the 3.2 and 3.6 for conversions.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 4 2004, 10:00 AM)
Just stay away from it..

you need an extremely compelling reason to build a 2,7. desire to participate in SCCA's F-Prepared class in SOLO-II could be one. trying for a very lightweight power train could be one.

i'm still thinking i'd like to build a 2,8 RS-esque motor for the 911, but the weight distribution is different...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.