Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: 1972 Corvette's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Strange question on a 914 forum I know but you guy's seem to have your hands in more than just teeners.

Here's the deal.

There is a guy at my wifes office that has a '72 vette he wants to get rid of. I haven't seen the car but from what I've been told it's very clean and in really good shape.

I don't know if it has the mysterious "Matching Numbers", or anything else about it.

I did a little research, and see them selling anywhere from 10k - 30k.

He want's 6k for it.

Any thoughts?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 20 2007, 08:50 AM) *

Strange question on a 914 forum I know but you guy's seem to have your hands in more than just teeners.

Here's the deal.

There is a guy at my wifes office that has a '72 vette he wants to get rid of. I haven't seen the car but from what I've been told it's very clean and in really good shape.

I don't know if it has the mysterious "Matching Numbers", or anything else about it.

I did a little research, and see them selling anywhere from 10k - 30k.

He want's 6k for it.

Any thoughts?

Alan,
I haven't been into Corvettes since the '80s when I was Competition Director for Corvettes of Minnesota but if I recall correctly, the '72 is not really a collectable car. It isn't followed by the organizations that say what it should be and such. All of that may have changed though.
Search National Council of Corvette Clubs and see if they have any valuation information.
VaccaRabite
www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/1972.shtml

My instinct would say that he either does not know the value of the car, or that something is wrong with it. $6000 seems low to me if the car is in good shape. its Pre-74 so it is not an inspection nightmare in most states. If I had the dosh, I'd jump on it. Even if something was broke, I know that I could fix it and resell and still turn a profit.

I love that particular body style.

The 72 in this pic is on sale for $55K to try and move by years end...
IPB Image

This ones $17K. I wonder if it comes with the girl.
IPB Image

Zach
Ferg
72 is the last year for chrome bumpers front and rear, in 73 they went to the plastic nose, and by 74 added the ugly rear.

Big HP drop on most engines from 71 - 72, and like most other cars by continued to drop through the 70s, 72 had a few engine choices I think 3 different small blocks, A LT1 small block and then the big block.

I'd say it's certainly worth a look. Plenty of "buying" books on corvette's that show you how to read the codes and what to look for.

Rust is a very big factor in these, the rear frame rails are a issue, not so much in your area of the country, but if it was a east coast car at some point watch out.

6k is project money. If you could confirm that it's a matching number car, with straight body and frame, it's close to a no brainer.

If you don't buy it give me a call happy11.gif idea.gif

Ferg
jasons
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 20 2007, 10:12 AM) *

Alan,
I haven't been into Corvettes since the '80s when I was Competition Director for Corvettes of Minnesota but if I recall correctly, the '72 is not really a collectable car. It isn't followed by the organizations that say what it should be and such. All of that may have changed though.
Search National Council of Corvette Clubs and see if they have any valuation information.

Thats definitely changed. Since 67 and earlier cars are 6 digits (thanks to Craig Jackson), the C3 cars have become the "affordable" old Vette. Especially Chrome Bumper C3's. 427/4 speed cars are in the $50k range now. Add a drop top, add $$$.

I would jump on it at $6k in any drivable condition. Believe it or not though, Vettes do have rust issues too! Obiviously not in the glass, but in the Sub-Structures. So, do some homework.

We bought this 73 this year because my wife wanted some kind convertible. I wanted a car that wouldn't nosedive in depreciation. We agreed on this. Its a one year car, front poly bumper, rear chrome bumper. Last year for Chrome bumpers. This car is matching numbers. It allegedly a 47k original mile car, but I can't confirm that.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TeenerTim
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 20 2007, 11:50 AM) *

Anybody Know Anything About Them?

Yeah, real men don't drive plastic cars.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Dec 20 2007, 01:08 PM) *

Said the guy with the orange 1.7L NARP.

poke.gif

Zach
jasons
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Dec 20 2007, 11:08 AM) *

Tell it to Michael Schumacher or John Force.
andys
I had a '73 L82 w/ 3.50 Posi. It was like the white one above only in silver; yup, a one year car. As mentioned, the '72 was the last of the chrome bumpers models. $6000 does seem low. Is it a California car? You might post some questions to the Corvette forums for how to determine options/models/problem areas etc.

I was really disappointed with the handling of my '73. I thought of it as very Caprice like. Fast, yes but that's about it. Huge PITA to work on, and parts were expensive (relative to American cars of the day). Did I mention poor gas mileage? 13MPG on a good day.

Andys
TeenerTim
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 20 2007, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Dec 20 2007, 01:08 PM) *

Said the guy with the orange 1.7L NARP.

poke.gif

Zach

I had to sell my 69' Mach I with the 428 Cobra Jet to pay child support. KMA.gif

Tell it to Michael Schumacher or John Force.

Why do you think they call them FUNNY cars? driving.gif
Gint
IIWM and the car was in running, driving condition and reasonably nice in appearance I'd grab it for $6k. Rust or not in a couple of years you'll get more money for it. C3's are the last remaining "affordable" Vettes. But that won't last forever.

Get us some pics!
Beamer13
Ya beat me to it!!! My uncle has a 73 which only has the chrome rear. He paid pretty big $$ for his, I would totally jump on it!!! If only it were a few months from now sad.gif

QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 20 2007, 12:01 PM) *

72 is the last year for chrome bumpers front and rear, in 73 they went to the plastic nose, and by 74 added the ugly rear.

Big HP drop on most engines from 71 - 72, and like most other cars by continued to drop through the 70s, 72 had a few engine choices I think 3 different small blocks, A LT1 small block and then the big block.

I'd say it's certainly worth a look. Plenty of "buying" books on corvette's that show you how to read the codes and what to look for.

Rust is a very big factor in these, the rear frame rails are a issue, not so much in your area of the country, but if it was a east coast car at some point watch out.

6k is project money. If you could confirm that it's a matching number car, with straight body and frame, it's close to a no brainer.

If you don't buy it give me a call happy11.gif idea.gif

Ferg

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Dec 20 2007, 10:08 AM) *

Sure they do. 904s, 906s, 907s, 908s, 910s, 917s, 936s, 956s, and 962s.

The Cap'n
ws91420
PM zymurgist he has a vette and could answer all your questions
Allan
Just got home. The guy is in Texas until the 7th of January so I won't be able to see it until then.

Never thought of the rust issues. blink.gif
race914
Been There!

I had a white 73 convertible and a 79 L-82 (25 year anniversary colors) and all it took was one ride around Laguna Seca in a 914 and both vettes had 'for sale' signs on them.

Completely different beasts.
rick 918-S
Plastic pigs. yellowsleep[1].gif offer 3000.00 that way you'll loose less money while looking for the next ass for that seat. This coming from a guy with a chevy past.
IronHillRestorations
Some of the 70's Vette's have known issues with the front suspension. They have a problem with the A arm welds stress cracking in the front. I had a friend with a '76 that had this problem. I don't know all the years that had this.

Maybe you could make some money off the car, but you could be looking at someone else's trouble too.
Root_Werks
Doesn't BatMan drive one of those? driving.gif
LS6/914
OK gang, enough of trashing the plastic pig. Inspect the rear wheel bearing carrier and upright for excessive play ( you can grab the top of the tire and shake it ) Look at the rear half shafts and Ujoints, they will most always be worn. Check for rust at the front frame rail where the fuel line bends upward. That would be rust on the line. Inspect the battery box and ground points. Turn to the Vette clubs for more info this is just what I remember from dealership life long ago. Larry
Porcharu
Manual trans??? Please
mack914-6
I just remember driving my brothers '76 and thinking this is what driving a tank must be like. It was always about going straight when driving these cars....1970's corvettes. Great styling, poor handling..

Mack w00t.gif
Allan
QUOTE(mack914-6 @ Dec 21 2007, 07:04 AM) *

1970's corvettes. Great styling, poor handling..

Mack w00t.gif

I'm sure there has to be a ton of bolt-on performance and suspension mods for these.
jasons
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 21 2007, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(mack914-6 @ Dec 21 2007, 07:04 AM) *

1970's corvettes. Great styling, poor handling..

Mack w00t.gif

I'm sure there has to be a ton of bolt-on performance and suspension mods for these.

Theres a sh!tload. And its all relatively cheap. We don't own our Vette for performance, so I don't bother myself with it. Its not that fast, and it doesn't handle great as it sits now. My 540i would probably kill it in both categories, and that car borders on a tuna boat. And, my 914 is probably safer in an accident!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.