Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- TVR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
alpha434
I may or may not buy...

A 73 TVR M2500.

But here's the kicker... It's got a V-8, and apparently came from the factory ready for one... Serial 2608 (theoretically indicating 8 cylinder.)

What's the value???

driving.gif
alpha434
Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with TVRs. I would really like to make an informed decision on this one. The going rate in 2005 for a 2500M was 8500, and at the time, it was expected to increase in value 6%/year. But my source doesn't specify for a V8 engine, which would obviously be more desirable, since parts are available for them, plus it makes a crudload more HP.

I would really appreciate any help... sad.gif

boxstr
You might try this TVR forum. I went to the M series forum, woh, not much going on there.
I tried the nonspecific forum, more activity.
Good luck.
CCL
richardmosselman
The TVR 2500M was usually fitted with a Triumph TR6 straight six (2.5L) although there may have been some specials built? Google TVR 2500 M...lots of results, mostly British of course! Cheers, R

(PS always loved TVR's!)

Here's a pic of a TVR Vixen.
richardmosselman
Go to pistonheads.com/tvr/prices
PeeGreen 914
I dunno Chris. The only info I find is the same as what you said. However, I am not finding any thing about a V8. From what I am reading they all came with TR6 engines. They only made 960 some odd of these though, and they are saying that the 2500 is the most desired.
richardmosselman
tvrna.com
alpha434
Well...

There's one on eGay for 16k

The asking price for this one is 14.

As far as the current owner knows, it was sold by TVR as a rolling chassis- which makes sense because they did that with all of their cars. And the Griffith was just that! Only they sold the cars almost exclusively to some guy named Griffith.

The vixen looks nice, but this puppy is in a whole different league. It's yellow and black, with big black sidepipes ala cobra. The bonnet has been reworked to be much more masculine, with newer-style Tasmin headlights.

What's the new buzzword in big-time auction sales...? "Outlaw car."

The torque is a lotta fun. You can burn rubber starting in 4th.
richardmosselman
The Griffith had a V-8...they called it a monster!
alpha434
The only M2500 on pistonhead was posted in 03 and was 8500 USD.

But boy, those Griffiths sure go for a lot.
alpha434
The griffiths all had ford v-8s. Some guy named Griffith had TVR make the chassis and ship them to him here, stateside. Where he outfitted them with ford crate motors. The standard came with 160hp or so, the High performance came with 245.

This car dynos at 400 without altitude compensation. And I was actually there for dyno testing.

This car redefines monster.
PeeGreen 914
Ask him if he'll take 12 and be done with it biggrin.gif .
alpha434
He's a close friend. I would pay 14 if he sells it to me. Except I'd prefer to make payments, so I can allocate some funds to my new bachelor pad.

This way, I can use said car to go out and pick up random chick(s), and THEN have someplace to take them...

Like a spiderweb. A big yellow shiny spiderweb with 400 horsepower. And a house parked behind it.

PeeGreen 914
Sounds like a good plan biggrin.gif I never told any of the women I dated I had a Porsche. They seemed okay with my Mercedes....... Gold diggers sad.gif Not really wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Dec 20 2007, 07:05 PM) *

I may or may not buy...

A 73 TVR M2500.

But here's the kicker... It's got a V-8, and apparently came from the factory ready for one... Serial 2608 (theoretically indicating 8 cylinder.)

What's the value???

driving.gif

I have driven both. The 2500M is an incredible autocross machine. Like a scalpel. Very precise. The Griffith whiich is what the V8 model was called had a Ford 289 and was a loud uncivilized oaf. After about 20 minutes driving the Griffith I noticed that my right leg felt hot like it was burned. After I got out I found out that the reason my right leg felt burned was because it was freakin' burned!!! Bright red skin which peeled a couple days later.
The 2500M is the one to have. TVR which in those days was owned by the founder Trevor Wilkenson sold bodies without engines to Griffith here in the US. Griffith put in the V8...
TeenerTim
Back around 1979 or 1980 I worked outside of Washington DC next to a warehouse owned by the US Customs Department. They had confiscated a number of brand new TVRs that came into the country without US emmissions or safety equipment. Their plan was to destroy them. One day they were gone. I suspect maybe a politician ended up with one.
Katmanken
A very cool car. I found one on the base in Florida about 1969. Came walking around the corner, saw this little car sitting under the trees with the whole front tipped open and nobody around. Went over to look and there was this huge V-8 crammed in place of the normal 4-banger.

I wondered why the hood was open but being Florida, he might have been trying to dry out the engine to cure an electrical glitch. 90% humidity and constant rain can cause fun electrical problems.....

Those military pilots tended to collect odd hot cars so I thought having a Daimler SP 250 v-8 across the street was just how it was, having 2 -Shelby GT-350's and a GT-500 parked at the O-club was nice, and riding around in a Facel Vega with the big V-8 was what you did when you went out with your friends. I was even tempted to buy the Bently down the street.

Ken
Eric_Shea
OT- TVR, I may buy....

Although I've grown accustom to your outrageous claims... purchasing the Tennessee Valley Railroad would be the coup de grâce.
roadster fan
av-943.gif clap23.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2007, 12:50 PM) *

OT- TVR, I may buy....

Although I've grown accustom to your outrageous claims... purchasing the Tennessee Valley Railroad would be the coup de grâce.

Someone hold this, I don't want to spill it. beer3.gif

av-943.gif
smg914
These guys always have TVR's for sale and most other British sports cars too.

http://www.wirewheel.com/

East coast of Florida.
tod914
The 3000, very few were imported to the US. They have the ford V6 (same one as the Capri). Cool cars, I think you need to look at the tubular chasis, thats what tends to rot on them after speaking with a few owners. Check Hemmings too, seems to be a few on there at times.
yarin
Did someone say TVR Griffith??

This car/driver is a consitent FTD contender. VERY fast car, very little ground clearance, VERY wide rubber. Absolutely amazing to watch..

Ford 302 I believe

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
brant
I ran against one of these on the track 2 weeks ago in texas
blew by me on the straights.. (had a bit of motor work)

luckily he broke down 6 sessions in a row (3 days straight)

this car is currently for sale:

smg914
asdf
smg914
asdf
drewvw

my uncle had a 74 2500M for years. Great car...esp if you can get one with the vinyl sunroof...
Sleepin
I would have another British car if it werent for Lucas.....I wonder if them Brits will ever figure out electricity......

Had a 71 Midget for a while.
IPB Image
alpha434
Yeah. It's got a vinyl sunroof.

It's a '73. With the Ford v-8.

Details on the car are as follows.. it was purchased as a roller from factory. Drivetrain was installed after getting to our coast. This was originally a small Ford v-8 and now is a much more modified ford v-8. The gearbox is the cobra toploader gearbox and is original since installation. The rear end has been somewhat modified and revised. It now has a tr6 rear end. The current owner plans on swapping to a jag rear end. The problem isn't with strength, it's with final gearing. It's incovenient to go throught the gearbox, and too expensive with it being cobra parts and all.
alpha434
Here it is...

IPB Image
Sleepin
Thats would be a monster with a tuned 302 in it!
alpha434
Much bigger than 302. But I don't know the displacement without the owner handy.

Lucky for me, I'm very good friends with the owner. Right now it has 400 hp. If I buy it, he'll be handy to maintain it, and he'll install a couple of really nice heads that should bring power up to 500 at this altitude.

Meanwhile, he says that he's had a 900 hp motor in it at one point. This guy's name is Dino Holland, he builds top fuel motors professionally. So I do not doubt the validity of that statement. Also, he like me, doesn't believe in "altitude compensation" for dyno results. When he says that it makes 400 hp, that's at a mile high. When he said 900 hp, that was in Arizona-which is where he lived at that time.
rick 918-S
That's not the stock front shroud. Looks like someone got creative. I like the stock front way better. Those cars are cool! Always wanted one.
alpha434
I think I mentioned that the bonnet was not stock.

The current owner was the one who got creative with it. I kinda prefer his modification. It gives the car a much more masculine profile. He said that the stock lines didn't go well with the sidepipes.

Plus, it has a functional ram intake on the hood. . . And that really helps at this altitude.
Sleepin
I know altitude is a massive killer of power, I lost a full second or so off of my ET's moving to Junction!
Do you know if it is a small block? If so right around 400CI is the biggest you can get a Ford? I dunno Fords....... I is Chevy guy with big hammer!
SirAndy
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Dec 20 2007, 07:31 PM) *

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with TVRs.

i have a buddy who imports (almost) new ones to the US ...

let me know if you want to get his contact info.
driving.gif Andy
Lou W
Yellow TVR's are faster. driving.gif
TVRLOTUSTR3
I would have to see the back, but that looks like it could be a vixen not a M. I have owned several of these cars and still have two. Unless this is a tuscan it is not factory 8 cly. I believe that there are only about 11 tuscans made. The 8 in the serial number has nothing to do with engine type. M would have a square tube frame Vixens have round.
TVRLOTUSTR3
Click to view attachment

Here is one of mine and white ones are faster.
alpha434
It's got M badging.

*missing pic of TVR tail and of frame.

admins: for some reason, the site isn't letting me upload any files. I go through the normal file attachment process, and it takes a month to load. Then when it finally does load, nothing has been attached.
TVRLOTUSTR3
Do you know if it has late Cortina tail lights or TR6? If it is a 73 it is a M but it may have either lights. I like the Cortina better.
M frames are stronger, but you can make a Vixen handle better.
alpha434
Well...

If I could upload any photos, I could show you and you could tell me which ones I have.

But I can't. Because the site feels like discriminating against me because I'm czech.

UGGGHHHH!!!

Frustrating!

sheeplove.gif
alpha434
Well...

If I could upload any photos, I could show you and you could tell me which ones I have.

But I can't. Because the site feels like discriminating against me because I'm czech.

UGGGHHHH!!!

Frustrating!

sheeplove.gif
Gint
I'm sure it's not an issue with the operator...

Read the FAQ thread about posting pics.
jim912928
Most likely your pics are too large...next time you try to upload them see if you get a size error message. It isn't blatantly obvious when your pictures are too large and you go through the "upload" process.
Gint
All of that is in the FAQ forum thread. If the kid would RTFM.
alpha434
Boy, Gint.

You're a little belligerent. And it's not appreciated.

IPB Image
alpha434
IPB Image
IPB Image
richardmosselman
Those are def. the TR6 tailights. The Cortina's were circular with three pie-shaped separations. But it has a V-8? Later conversion? R
Gint
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Dec 26 2007, 09:12 PM) *

Boy, Gint.

You're a little belligerent. And it's not appreciated.

You would know all about being belligerent. And you did start after all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.