Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creature Comfort, bought a new daily driver today ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
being the spontaneous person i am, i woke up this morning and decided that i needed a more comfortable daily driver.

you know, stuff like AC/Heat, no road noise, a music-machine, automatic transmission, cupholders, Cruise Control, Air Bags, Power Steering, ABS etc.

so i went online looking for cars for sale. saw one i liked and called and went for a testdrive, paid the money and drove it home!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

2002 Volkswagen Jetta VR6, 2.8L

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lou W
Congratulations on the new ride. beerchug.gif
McMark
Nice! thumb3d.gif
Beamer13
Very nice car!!!
Dr. Roger
cup holders!!!

piratenanner.gif

beer3.gif cheer.gif
sixnotfour
Bad Ass mofo , colored mohawk, army boots , camo , ripped shirt.....
gets out of a Jetta ?

great new VW TV commercial stirthepot.gif aktion035.gif

Enjoy the comforts. beerchug.gif
johannes
They sell very few Jetta's VS Golf in Europe. We prefer 5 doors here.
BTW I think they are badged "Bora" here.
and due to gas price most are sold with diesel engines.
VR6 ... This might be pretty powerfull !!! How much bhp on this one ?
smokey
THANK U . Keep the 3.6 off the wett roads . VERY smart . beerchug.gif smoke.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 10 2007, 01:34 PM) *

Now, about that black Jetta.... headbang.gif

pete

This adds a whole new dimension to the black Jetta story. driving.gif
McMark
av-943.gif Nice one Marty! lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 21 2007, 12:41 AM) *

not sure what engine i got. i need to look up the code. there were two 2.8L engines available that year. one with 175 HP and one with 200 HP ...
idea.gif Andy
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 20 2007, 10:39 PM) *

being the spontaneous person i am, i woke up this morning and decided that i needed a more comfortable daily driver.

you know, stuff like AC/Heat, no road noise, a music-machine, automatic transmission, cupholders, Cruise Control, Air Bags, Power Steering, ABS etc.

Wimp! biggrin.gif

Over in SF, from 1997-2005, that was *the* Marina chick ride, but the VR6 (and your mohawk!!!) offset that. A lot. After all, if I didn't know you, I don't think I'd point across the lot at the Babeway and say, "Hey! Check out that big Marina chick getting out of the black Jetta!"

A good way to get a serious whoopin.

In all seriousness, congratulations, and welcome to the world of modern (daily) motoring. When a 914 was all I had, I thought "who could *need* more?" Then I started working a shipping dock year round at 5 am....

Later on, I bought a Merkur xerati with power windows, A/C and all that. No turning back, since, and I tried with an old non-A/C 911 SC.

Hey, does that thing have heated seats, too? If so, you're REALLY on your way to being a grandpa.... biggrin.gif

pete

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2007, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 21 2007, 12:41 AM) *

not sure what engine i got. i need to look up the code. there were two 2.8L engines available that year. one with 175 HP and one with 200 HP ...
idea.gif Andy

Andy,

I hope you have better (and lessexpensive) luck with your VR6 than I have had. It's like it must have been made by Ferrari - love it when it's right - hate it too many times.

The thing actually has chain tensioners! One for the motor, one for the tranny. I've replaced (in less than 60K miles) both, as well as the 1200 buck spark box, and the complete a/c system, as well as numerous & sundry other parts.

Three years - $8800 in repairs to the motor & a/c system.

Eight VW's, and never one again. Good luck to you - you deserve it.

Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 21 2007, 05:33 PM) *

well, it came with a 1 year warranty. so stuff better starts breaking now!
biggrin.gif Andy
Racer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2007, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 21 2007, 05:33 PM) *

well, it came with a 1 year warranty. so stuff better starts breaking now!
biggrin.gif Andy

I had a '96 GTI VR6 as a daily driver. Put 130,000 miles on it and outside of regular maintenace, only had a thermostat failure*. Mine only had 172hp, but had great torque and really felt solid from low to high revs.

* at 130K miles, I then needed a clutch, brake pads and rotors (these were the original components).. and had an ignition meltdown - needed new coilpacks.. ($1200)

Enjoy!

I would guess that yours is the 200hp variety

atomix8
Excuse me sir, your car appears to be broken...the roof doesn't come off...

But seriously, congrats on the daily driver! I know even people in CA need A/C and heat every now and again (and working windshield wipers in my case). I have a second car for the winter months, when the prospect of getting a carb'd 914 to run is laughable at best.

I would recommend an extended warranty though...just...trust me. Too many friends with too many VW's. One of whom should be getting his R32 back after 3 months in the shop. This was for a warped head from adding boost ;-) and lots of track time, but there was plenty of money spent for failed fan electronics and fans themselves. How VW-Audi spent $1k+ in parts making a fan system is beyond me... Let alone the electrical gremlins.

Never-the-less, very fun cars, great after market. Great owners and always a good turnout on a track day! smile.gif
Gint
Gettin old man! av-943.gif
cooltimes
Like having a new girl friend. Nice find.
Already has the steel flares and a 6 so what you gonna do in your spare time?
SirAndy
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Dec 22 2007, 03:24 PM) *

Like having a new girl friend. Nice find.
Already has the steel flares and a 6 so what you gonna do in your spare time?

actually, the main reason i bought the car was so i have a ride when i take down the 914 for a month to do some "upgrades" ... biggrin.gif

plus, the GF refuses to drive the 914, so getting another car was the only way to make her get me coffee in the morning ...
shades.gif Andy
GWN7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2007, 03:34 PM) *

plus, the GF refuses to drive the 914, so getting another car was the only way to make her get me coffee in the morning ...
shades.gif Andy

You know....... you can make coffee at home too..... smile.gif
draperjojo
Me too!! 1991 C2 Sunroof Tip (yeah, I know...but with our traffic jams) 65K. The heat and A/C work, Alpine tunage w/Ipod and Bluetooth. Yes Eric, I know...a girly car biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Nice. I have always liked the VR6 powerplant.

EdwardBlume
FarFromPoopin

Nice ride! biggrin.gif
Scott Carlberg
HP = that looks like the 24v version of the VR6, which means 200hp

Nice motor, several friends have had them and they all Love them!

purple
Good luck with that.

I've test driven Jettas of that body style ('99s) brand new TDI and the radio failed on the first one, the turn signals failed on the second one...on the FIRST test drive!!!

My mom had a '93 cabriolet rabbit and the list was:

right off the bat: engine control computer: FAIL
top liner: fail
passenger door liner: FAIL
cylinder head gasket: almost FAIL (leaks down the front of the block)
and the coup-de-grace: oil pump FAIL!

had a buddy with a 06 passat 2.0L turbo DSG had the ignition system fail in 8 months.

had a friend who is a girl get some gunk in the washer pump system and clog in the squirter lines and explode spraying washer water all over the engine

Beware this car dude, yeah it's german, but Gute Deutsche Arbeit isnt what it used to be... sadly
Eric_Shea
(yeah, I know...but with our traffic jams)

(we don't have traffic jams) aaron.gif dancing.gif
grantsfo
Forgot to mention here is my new daily driver. Never saw myself as a Z car owner, but the 2007 Z is a real nice car. ..and 306 HP makes it entertaining.
SGB
OMG-
there's water in there!

jaminM3
QUOTE(draperjojo @ Dec 22 2007, 08:08 PM) *

Me too!! 1991 C2 Sunroof Tip (yeah, I know...but with our traffic jams) 65K. The heat and A/C work, Alpine tunage w/Ipod and Bluetooth. Yes Eric, I know...a girly car biggrin.gif

BEAUTIFUL CAR! But I am going to agree with Eric, There aren't really traffic jams in SLC. Traffic may slow, but only stops if there is a wreck. headbang.gif
Eddie914
Maybe I'm too hardcore ...

... but this is my daily driver (the black M5).

IPB Image

Eddie
Sparky
Andy you need to get a Phatbox for it!! I put one in my '05 Jetta and love it!!

Cap'n Krusty

"The thing actually has chain tensioners! One for the motor, one for the tranny. I've replaced (in less than 60K miles) both, as well as the 1200 buck spark box, and the complete a/c system, as well as numerous & sundry other parts."

Pat

WHAT? There are 2 timing chains, alright, but there's NOT one for the tranny. Think about it, why would there be a timing chain for the tranny?

There's a lower timing chain, just like in a lot of other cars, and an upper one. There are gears, a tensioner, and guides. They wear out. Unfortunately, they do so around a hundred thousand miles. You have to pull the tranny and flywheel to get to them, as they're on the back end of the motor. Book time for a clutch job is around 9 hours, and you add another 4-5 hours for the timing chains (more for the twin cam engines). Add a few hundred bucks for the timing parts and a clutch (while you're in there) and you have a fat bill. If "spark box" means the ignition coil, it's $530 retail. The Cap'n
Danny_Ocean
Hmm...is this "Get a New Daily Driver" week?

Here's mine (Thurs.):

IPB Image
BIGKAT_83
Must have been new car week last week. Got a 89 turbo S on Wednesday. Plan is to make it a track car.

Bob
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Dec 20 2007, 11:09 PM) *

cup holders!!!

piratenanner.gif

beer3.gif cheer.gif

Big deal, my 914 has 2 of them. smile.gif

Nice score, you can get some great deals on VW's right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.