Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If anyone is searching for a very original 1973 2.0...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73Phoenix20
Just exchanged X mas greetings wi the owner of "Max", and discovered that, for a number of good reasons, he is seriously considering selling the car...

He works some very odd hours and doesn't have time to do the computer thing, so I told him I would jot a couple of notes here at 914World, both in the classifieds and this page, and let the folks know that really matter in this hobby...

Max is a silver (original factory color; one respray in 1985; still shows very well, but it is 22 years old, so figure on the usual chips and nicks) with black interior in the rare corduroy. Carpeting, door panels and dash are original to the car; as are steering wheel, speakers, etc, etc. even the original and non cracked shift knob!

Max's early years were spent in SC and AL so no serious body damage; the battery tray was replaced when he was repainted in '85. trunks, and hell hole were checked and are sound and refurbed, paint wise.

The engine is the original 2.0 matching numbers per Certificate of Authenticity, and was rebuilt, along with the numbers matching trans, in 1996, IIRC. at 43K original miles. He know has about 55K miles, so the mechanicals should not need any attention. Still the original DJetronic. I replaced a few bits during my ownership; CHT Sensor, and the MPS Sensor... probably some other items I have forgotten.

He comes with two sets of the original Fuchs 2.0 alloys... one polished and one totally original, and both in excellent condition... Tires are so so on the original wheels and new on the polished rims...

Tons of documentation right down to the original Window Sticker...

This 2.0 isn't cheap... with /6's pushing up past $30K, I am sure the owner would like to see $25K for Max, but would listen to reasonable offers...

Email me if you are a serious buyer, and I would be happy to answer anyquestions about the car, and if you are still interested, I will pass you on to the Owner... nothing in it for me, except to see a great 2.0 go on to a deserving owner!
jaminM3
Wow, the highest I have seen a 4 cylinder car go for is $19.5K and it was perfect confused24.gif

Good Luck, I hope he gets it!
73Phoenix20
Ummmm... but was it a 1973 2.0, in the factory silver, with 55k original miles, and documentation all the way beck to the original window sticker????

Probably not...

Actually, for driving and concours fun, the 73 2.0 is IMHO, more fun that the /6's...better tranny, more responsive engines (especially if still using the factory D Jet), less maintenance issues, and so forth...

But hey, make an offer... maybe he will settle for a bit less! I't only money!

Actually, I would rather have Paul's 1974 1.8, and he got a way better deal than $25K, but he probably is approaching that number, what with the basic "refreshements" and transportation costs...
JeffBowlsby
What a great car! I share your sentiments about the 2.0L D-Jet cars...light, responsive...Niether can I afford nor do I want a six...

I track the high value 914/4 sales, here is a link to the recent sales with details, from my website.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/RecentSales.htm

At these levels, quality and price are all about originality and condition.

73Phoenix20
Well, there you have it!

Thanks Jeff! The facts are indisputable...

and yes, someday I would like a Creamsicle, but not today...

I have a "project" in the barn at the moment, and it will be eventually revealed to all... but it unfortuantely is not a Porsche! :>((

Although, all projects are good projects, at my advanced age!
jaminM3
I agree that the '73 2.0 are the best ( I have one), but I don't see them bringing any more money from what I have seen and I think Jeff's list agrees with that. I wasn't knocking it, I was just making an observation and wishing him luck. It would be great if he sold it for $25K thumb3d.gif
Cevan
Here is his Craig's List ad.

Gee, my '75 1.8 with 56k miles, original paint, engine, tranny, FI must be worth $20,000 then.
orthobiz
IIRC, didn't I miss buying Max by only a few months?????

Paul
Mhead
New to this forum...been following threads on the value of older 914's. I have a owned a 1970 (built in 1969 perhaps the oldest in the US in this condition) 1.7, dark green, for many years now with 21k miles on it...everything is original with the exception of the battery...never seen rain, snow or bad weather. It drives like a new one did thirty eight years ago...a tight as drum.

Contemplating selling it...but can't seem to put a value on this one...any ideas?

Thanks
Gint
I'm going to mention this now...

I can appreciate the interest in this car as a garage thread; mostly original, etc...

But it's written like a classified ad. As soon as someone responds to this thread as if it were a classified ad, it will get moved to the classifieds forum.

Nice car BTW.
73Phoenix20
Hi Paul:

Not sure when we first talked about Max, but the current owner set the deal up in late 2004, and then was not able to pick him up until the Spring of 2005...

Gint, the ad is already placed in the classified... this is just to discuss values, and interesting market trends... but if someone needs to move it, so be it... Not my nickle...
Gint
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Dec 22 2007, 07:47 AM) *
Gint, the ad is already placed in the classified... this is just to discuss values, and interesting market trends... but if someone needs to move it, so be it... Not my nickle...

Like I said, as long as it remains an interest issue here in the garage I'm good with it. If it becomes an ad while in the garage, it's not fair to the classified advertisers that follow the rules.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Mhead @ Dec 22 2007, 05:21 AM) *

New to this forum...been following threads on the value of older 914's. I have a owned a 1970 (built in 1969 perhaps the oldest in the US in this condition) 1.7, dark green, for many years now with 21k miles on it...everything is original with the exception of the battery...never seen rain, snow or bad weather. It drives like a new one did thirty eight years ago...a tight as drum.

Contemplating selling it...but can't seem to put a value on this one...any ideas?

Thanks

Post photos, details for input... biggrin.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 21 2007, 12:24 PM) *

What a great car! I share your sentiments about the 2.0L D-Jet cars...light, responsive...Niether can I afford nor do I want a six...

I track the high value 914/4 sales, here is a link to the recent sales with details, from my website.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/RecentSales.htm

At these levels, quality and price are all about originality and condition.

Hi Jeff,

I like your link to 914's sold for $__??
New buyer's need this education on price points$$

Thanks for sharing.

BTW: On another post you asked how many surviving 914's are still out there in 2007? My guess is about 20,000 including parts cars to running beauty's. Of this number I guess-estimate 1/2 of 1% are CW quality beauty's. I believe about 100 CW 914's are in the $20K price range. I should say the 100 cars are 4-cyl cars & 6's are another guess-estimate. It gets more complicated to figure track cars??? So, get one as soon as you can afford one. Buy quality up front because it will cost more in the long term. Parts are getting rare & expensive.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.