Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tragic 914-6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Sad but true. This WAS a perfectly rust free 1974 914 1.8 that we converted into a 914-6 years ago using a destroyed 1971 model. EVERY piece is genuine 914-6 including the rear calipers, stub axles, weber carbs, engine, converted with bellcrank late 914 transmission, oil tank, oil cooler, engine sheetmetal, heat exchangers, factory mount, front suspension, Fuchs alloys, etc. EVERYTHING except for the steering column and wiper motor. Needs to be repaired or used to make another conversion or rebuild a burned or vandalized 914-6!
championgt1
Sorry to hear that. That picture makes me ill. icon8.gif
lotus_65
bad luck!

any survivors?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Dec 21 2007, 01:13 PM) *

bad luck!

any survivors?

The lady was in the hospital for six months
jonferns
ouch
SirAndy
icon8.gif
Eric_Shea
The lady was in the hospital for six months

wow... passengers compartment looks suprisingly intact. Hope she's OK.
EdwardBlume
Her name must be LUCKY, after a head on like that. Its too bad.... glad she's alive though. I hope it goes to a good 914 home.

R
Allan
YIKES!!! sad.gif
Jeffs9146
Been there done that!!! I survived!!
Pat Garvey
No problem - that'll buff out real nice!
VaccaRabite
Looks like the result of a modern crumple zone. Were they even doing that in the 70s?

Wonder how much of a gas leak a crash like that causes? Seems the impact would puncture the tank in several different places.

Zach
Jeffs9146
No leak in mine! I even started it before selling the motor!

The guy that hit me was going 55 mph and I was going 30 mph. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 years recovering from back surgery.
Katmanken
It's amazing what a spare tire in a horizontal positon in front of the front wheels can do for a frontal impact. The tire acts as a huge air filled bladder and absorbs a lot of energy. What it can't absorb is transmitted rearward to start dimpling the sheet metal around the front steering rack.

I saw a ye;llow 1973 Superbeetle moving at 45 mph get nailed head on with another car moving at an unknown speed. The Superbeetle has the same horizontal tire configuration as a 914 and the driver climbed out and was looking at the damage. I was very interested in the crash as my wife was driving our yellow 1973 Superbeetle and the accident occurred at the end of our street.

After seeing that, I felt pretty good about her coming home safe.

Ken
sww914
From your title, I thought you were gonna say something like Buick V-6 in a 914. That's tragic too.
jimtab
Looked like too much giddayup and not enough whoa....as far as frontal crashes....I crashed a superbeatle into the side of a large ponitac at about 75 mph...drunk decided to make a left turn across our side of hwy 17... she saw the bar at the Cats...we hit her in the door...all three of us lived with injuries...she had no injuries and a blood alcohol level of .26 she recieved a suspended sentence for drunk driving (her 6th dui, 3 with injuries) and had her licence (which was revoked at the time for her last DUI) "re-revoked.....the car had nothing left forward of the wiper motors.....
hydroliftin
It's a good thing they closed that bar down. Both cars going in and going out were risking their lives.
dgw
They didn't close it down, the person who owned it got tired of being in business. i believe its for sale.
Brett W
That Targa seal looks good, is it original or a repro.
LarryR
ouch! glad she made it out ok.
autohausdolby
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 21 2007, 05:52 PM) *

From your title, I thought you were gonna say something like Buick V-6 in a 914. That's tragic too.

biggrin.gif That's what I thought too biggrin.gif
spare time toys
This is an old crash. He said she spent 6 months in the hospital. Is it a car you got in from the insurance auction and you are going to sell or part out? Whats the story shades.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.