Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Does A Bursch Compare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
As for as sound and performance?
Cap'n Krusty
Louder. Actually, they're "noisy". Real life tests showed degraded engine performance with both carbs and MFI back in the early 70s, because there was insufficient backpressure. YMMV
DanT
gut that stock muffler and twin pipe it.

gives that vintage "6" sound.

and looks good too biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 21 2007, 01:19 PM) *

I need something that'll work with a /6 valance.
DanT
you could still gut the muffler and leave it a single stock exit.

are you running a porthole 6 valence or a later sytle.

On the later style you can twin pipe the muffler. You just run the pipes towards the bottom of the muffler instead of in the middle of the bannana.
IronHillRestorations
The Bursch is a little louder and makes a little less power. The stock muffler is hard to beat.
GeorgeRud
Other than being lighter, the Bursch is not any better, only louder. The twin pipe "sport" muffler is neat for a track day, but gets to be too much on a daily basis, IMHO.

Stick with an original style muffler and you'll be happiest.
PeeGreen 914
Two words... Triad. Okay, it was only one, but hey, it's worth two biggrin.gif You will never go back.
rfuerst911sc
M&K mufflers are very nice. They are made of 321SS and give good performance,lightweight and sound terrific. Available as 1 out or 2 out. I'm running one on my 911 and have purchased one that will be going on the 914/6 conversion.
degreeoff
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 21 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Louder. Actually, they're "noisy". Real life tests showed degraded engine performance with both carbs and MFI back in the early 70s, because there was insufficient backpressure. YMMV

On page two or three of my resto thread I have the correct way of gut'ing' the stock muffler and how to reassemble....I don't know how well it works as I still have to assemble the engine etc etc etc...but its the real deal, direction sheet and all !

Josh welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Gint
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Dec 22 2007, 07:24 AM) *
On page two or three of my resto thread I have the correct way of gut'ing' the stock muffler and how to reassemble....I don't know how well it works as I still have to assemble the engine etc etc etc...but its the real deal, direction sheet and all !

Josh welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I was just looking at that. I have a hole in my stock 2.0/4 muff that I need to weld up this weekend. Anybody know if the stock mufflers are as thick a gauge steel as that Dansk unit? In other words, is a stock 4 cylinder muffler thick enough to MIG easily?

Edit - So this isn't a total hijack, my /6 sounded really cool with a stock muffler. That same muffler is going back on most likely. Although I do have a Bursch and a Triad for a /6 so I will try them all. But that will be at least late summer.
degreeoff
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 21 2007, 01:19 PM) *

EDIT I quoted the wrong bit!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 21 2007, 03:52 PM) *

The Bursch is a little louder and makes a little less power. The stock muffler is hard to beat.

agree.gif

Had a few different styles on 914-6's and 911's, the factory mufflers seem to be the best comprimise of noise and performance.
mack914-6
Had a stock 911 muffler and headers Jet Coated for my 6 conversion. They look and sound great.

Mack santa_smiley.gif
DanT
If I proceed with a 6 conversion I will run jethot coated headers and a 3 pipe vintage rallye style muffler, also ceramic coated.
the twin pipe portion will have caps for tracks like Laguna that require 92db or less. At the rest of the tracks it will be 3 wide open exhaust ports. biggrin.gif

This set up will work for street, AX and Track without having to change mufflers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.