Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical circuit question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Right now I've got my ignition, water and fuel pumps running through an aftermarket keyed switch.

I didn't notice an Amperage rating on the switch but noticed that it does get a little warm after a little time.

So my question is how do I setup a relayed power source to power the water and fuel pumps to relieve the stress on the ignition switch?

I have never wired a relayed circuit before and I'm a little concerned.... chair.gif

A good link with pictures would be great. KMA.gif aktion035.gif
Tom
You will need to buy a relay, so try the local flaps for a fog light relay. They usually come with a schematic of how to wire it up. Pretty straight forward process.
You would need a power wire from your keyed switch to power the relay and a + from somewhere fused to have the relay switch this to your other loads.
Tom
Dr Evil
A relay is a switch. Your key acts as if it were you throwing the switch. So, you have the power from the battery go directly to the relay (B+), you have the outlet of the relay go directly to what you want to power. Then, you hook up your wire from the switch (switched power) to the relay (it will be obvious most likely) and you are done biggrin.gif When you switch the poser on at the key it energizes the relay causing it to close connecting the circuit to the pump or what ever directly from the battery. Some relays have a separate ground hook up, others have the base as a ground so you need to mount it to the chassis or engine, tranny, etc for continuity.

Clear as mud?
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 21 2007, 11:23 PM) *

A relay is a switch. Your key acts as if it were you throwing the switch. So, you have the power from the battery go directly to the relay (B+), you have the outlet of the relay go directly to what you want to power. Then, you hook up your wire from the switch (switched power) to the relay (it will be obvious most likely) and you are done biggrin.gif When you switch the poser on at the key it energizes the relay causing it to close connecting the circuit to the pump or what ever directly from the battery. Some relays have a separate ground hook up, others have the base as a ground so you need to mount it to the chassis or engine, tranny, etc for continuity.

Clear as mud?

So my next questions are:
How many "Amps can these relays handle? I assume they come in different ratings.
Does one shop for a specific rate relay or can I just go big to play it safe?
Should I get separate relays for separate components or can I get one big relay to switch the pumps together?
Does getting a larger than required relay cause any problems?

I think I remember people putting the relays as close to the components as possible. Is this right?

Thanks. =)
draperjojo
Add up the circuit draws of all of the items you would like relay powered, and look for a 12 volt relay that will handle all of the loads. Check out

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

You should be able to use an SPST (Single Pole Single Throw)12 volt relay. Just make sure it will handle more amperage than what you will be putting through it.
chris914
You could try this,

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...10002_348946_-1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.