Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glass beading? Fuch Alloys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
What would a set of fuch alloys look like if you glass bead 100% of them? Pros/Cons?

I know this is an odd question, but I'm looking at 4 fuch alloys and two of them are fully polished and two have the original anodizing on the inserts with polished pedals and lips.

The goal to get the four wheels to look a matched set. I may or may not decide to accent the recesses black satin.

Looking for options...
Thanx
Gint
BTDT. It's a little tedious to get a consistent finish across the entire wheel.
boxstr
Same here. I would just send them in for a polish.
CCL
rhodyguy
for personal use or to sell them? for sale, seems like a lot of work for what will result in a non stock appearance that may be hard to undo. if fs let the new owner figure it out.
Gint
I only did it as a precursor to polishing.

BTW - It would be a royal bitch to keep them clean.
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 22 2007, 09:07 AM) *

for personal use or to sell them?

They would be for personal use...then of course, everything is for sale eventually.

I was looking for a darn near perfect set of 2ltr alloys for my project car and I came across these wheels that looked perfect on first look. The wheels had the inserts painted to match the owner's car and he stripped the paint off and discovered that two of the wheels were polished under the paint and two had the stock anodize. The owner and I are deciding where to go from here...the deal hasn't been made yet.

The owner is seeking options, but no matter which direction you go it sounds costly to the owner other than the glass beading.

That's why I (we) need some advice...
popcorn[1].gif
McMark
I'd say, either cancel the deal and move on, or adjust th price accordingly and you can get the finish work done. I wouldn't run bare beadblasted wheels because of the dirt issue. Now bead blast then paint with clear coat.... idea.gif that might work.
boxstr
Soda blast will leave a cleaner smoother finish. I tried it on a Fuchs 5 lug wheel.
The media blasting leaves a much more porous finish, and it definetly will be hard to keep clean, left that way.
CCL
Eric_Shea
Do not glass bead blast Fuchs. They will pit.

I did that exact thing with a fairly ugly one that I used for a spare. It polished up but, the bead blasting was too agressive for a decent finish. It left visable pits all over the wheel.

I've restored a tremendous amount of Fuchs wheels on my own. Best bet is either plastic media or walnut. Another option is acid dipping. If you know someone at a chrome or anodizing shop who is competent this can be done easily (dip until yellow bubbles start to appear then pull and rinse.)

Once they are cleaned they can be polished. Have them polished to a very high shine. Then have them reanodized to protect the finish another 30 years.

We have to remember; the Fuchs we are looking at today are over 30 years old. That's tremendous. No chromed wheel would ever stand up that long.

Here's a dipping tank:
Click to view attachment

Out of the tank:
Click to view attachment

Here's all the wheels I did in that batch:
Click to view attachment

Here's some various finishes that came from this batch. 16x7" High Polish:
Click to view attachment

Here's a step through of a classic polished paddle on a set of 14" comforts:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here's the one's I did for my RS clone:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
I was going to trade my fuches with mark, but i found (after stripping the paint off the inset part) that I have 2 that are anodized, and 2 that are fully polished. there's clear on all.

The object is to get them all uniform without a great deal of expense.

They're currently with a buddy and i was going to get the plastic-media-blasted. i don't know if that'll remove the anodization, but the next step would be to chemically, or if possible glass-bead-blast them to pull the anodized finish.

That's the backstory, any advice, recommendations welcome.
Eric_Shea
Any anodizing shop can de-anodize them. Again, I would not bead blast. Plastic and/or walnut "can" get the anodizing layer off. It should be obvious to the person doig the blasting as the patina changes as you go through that layer.
lotus_65
yea eric, that's what my guy thought.

if that fails, could they be de-anodized with the rubber still on? i'm thinking no way.
Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2007, 11:15 AM) *
Do not glass bead blast Fuchs. They will pit.

I did that exact thing with a fairly ugly one that I used for a spare. It polished up but, the bead blasting was too agressive for a decent finish. It left visable pits all over the wheel.

Basically that's true, but I can't completely agree. If you work your ass off polishing them afterwards you can "de-pit" them successfully. But I don't recommend it. It's a *lot* of work.

Hey Eric, what black paint did you use?

Proof:

IPB Image
Eric_Shea

Beats me. Troy squirted them for me. With the "ferrywinkles" I believe it was a Silkens. For the black, Wurth Semi-Gloss is best.
sixgt
You can remove the anodization with over cleaner. The lye in it will break down the hard anodization on the wheel. You need to be careful though not to leave it on too long as it can pit the wheel. You can repolish it afterwards.
robby750
Just put the two matching wheels on the same side of the car. Nobody will know they are different if they can't see them all at the same time. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Dec 22 2007, 10:25 AM) *

I was going to trade my fuches with mark, but i found (after stripping the paint off the inset part) that I have 2 that are anodized, and 2 that are fully polished. there's clear on all.

The object is to get them all uniform without a great deal of expense.

They're currently with a buddy and i was going to get the plastic-media-blasted. i don't know if that'll remove the anodization, but the next step would be to chemically, or if possible glass-bead-blast them to pull the anodized finish.

That's the backstory, any advice, recommendations welcome.

Remove the anodizing with Eazy Off oven cleaner. Old trick, been around for years. Then have them soda blasted. Not a Fuch but I glass beaded my C2's this is what glass bead comes out like.Powder coated when I got them, stripped that with aircraft remover ( ha ha ) than beaded.

Also note the pitting IS NOT from the glass bead but is the original casting. I regularly glass bead aluminum ans steel parts at werk and have NEVER had glass bead "pit" anything. Aluminum oxide YES that will pit.
Eric_Shea
Mine pitted big time and... I'm not lying.
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2007, 02:41 PM) *

Mine pitted big time and... I'm not lying.

Perhaps our versions of pitting are different. I certainly didn't think you were lying, but to me the finish left by glass bead is not a pitting as much as a texturing. Yes it leaves a "textured" surface. In my opinion "pitting" is morte along the lines of rust pitting on an inner rocker. Deep inclusions etc.
914werke
You mean like this?

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2007, 10:15 AM) *

Out of the tank:
Click to view attachment

Wouldn't dipping remove the black paint between the beads?

Here is a long, but related thread from Pelican.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ght=blast+fuchs

Discuss...
orthobiz
jamagro@juno.com
sales@magrowheels.com
Magro is a member of this site. Really easy to talk to, great reputation. He's done many of the Fuchs 914 wheels. I believe he polishes the spokes and paints the background a color similar to the patina of the original.

I've spoken to him once; I believe other members can chime in. But if it involves paint, I'll bet he can get the four wheels looking close to one another. I just know he'd be good to talk to...

Paul
lotus_65
thanks for the tip, Paul.

The Magro site has one of the clearest tire charts i've seen, btw.
yarin
I'm planning on sandblasting my Panasports soon, then powder coating with a gloss powder. Any tips? I'd prefer to polish the lip as well. Then apply a clear powder coat on everything. Is this doable?

Presently the wheels have some sort of factory coating on the inner spokes that is chipped in places. My goal is to strip all of the old coating off and powdercoat.

Also - should I avoid powder coating the seating surface? what about the valve stem seat? I would imagine i don't want to touch the seating surface to the hub. right?

Is there any possible damage to a wheel like this by baking at 375F for 20 mins?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Here are specs on panasports:

*New, virgin aluminum alloy materials used throughout.
*Hub centric machining for every application, no universal sleeves
*Steel, tapered-face inserted lug holes for secure fixing and self-centering attachment
*Heat treated for high strength and durability
*The proper balance of designed material location providing a light weight wheel with intense strength

Would the steel/aluminium combo cause an issue when curing the powdercoat? I really don't want to compromise the integrity of these wheels, safety first smile.gif
Mikey914
The best way to clean the Fuchs (short of dipping) is to soda blast them. Soda blasting removes only the finish not the metal.
http://www.sodablasting.com/what_is_soda_blasting.html

I have used a company here in Portland to remove Flouropolymer paint for an some of my railings. I was amazed that the finish could be removed without pitting the metal.
jaminM3
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2007, 12:02 PM) *

Beats me. Troy squirted them for me. With the "ferrywinkles" I believe it was a Silkens. For the black, Wurth Semi-Gloss is best.

Hey Eric, is this one of the services you offer? When I do my 5 lug conversion I plan on going with Fuchs and I want them polished with the black like you did.
How much ?? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
When I do my 5 lug conversion I plan on going with Fuchs and I want them polished with the black like you did.
How much ??

I can turn you on to all the sources here in the valley and then I can help you tape them out:

Crown Plating - Joe. 911 owner and can dip the wheels.

Metal Masters - Scott. Has done many Fuchs. Polished paddle look was around $65-75 per wheel.

If you don't plan on anodizing them again, the rest is simply taping them off and painting them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.