Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cleaning the fan housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
ANyone have a good way to get the fan housing clean? I want to paint or powdercoat it but need to get it clean.
Anyone chrome plate it? How about silver powder coat?
McMark
The purple cleaner works well, but don't let it sit on the magnesium. It will eat it. chowtime.gif

Very hot water will help loosen stuff too.
Eric_Shea
As with all magnesium goodies, either hand scrub with a mild/organic cleanser, as Mark suggests (NEVER use Gunk or engine degreasers they will seriously pit mag.)

-or-

Walnut media blast. Walnut gives the ultimate factory fresh finish on mag.

Another trick I've seen along the lines of Mark's hot water comment is to hook the power washer up to the fitting at the bottom of your water heater. That oughta do it. Never tried it myself but I believe Thom Tweed (911 guy) did this to his car.

If you're looking to paint or powdercoat... just handscrub it.
Joe Ricard
Hot soapy water with a parts brush and or a pressure washer to get the gunky oily dirt off.
the walnut blast.
scotty b
It should be thoughouly cleaned before painting or powder coating. If you painter/coater does proper QUALITY werk he will glass bead or sand blast it prior to coating. Powder coater should bake it BEFORE coating, to out gas. DO a search it has been discussed here many times.

Here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ousing&st=0
purple
I did something a little different.

I took the entire housing apart into two pieces and hit it with a coarse wire wheel on a drille to get that oily nasty gunk out of the INSIDE of the housing. I did the same on the outside and then painted it all silver. I know it's not fancy like powdercoat, but some powdercoaters dont work with magnesium because it may outgas and make problems. I'm not 100% on what all that means, but I've read it before on here.
I used dishsoap and brake cleaner with a pot brush on the fan after I took the main pulley off it.

To take the pulley off, use the 12 point tool that you would use for the CV joint bolts.

:cheers:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.