Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: break in carburetor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfwteenerpr
I know the single carb setup doesn't work well in the car, but I have a set of manifolds I got somewhere, and I was thinking about setting up an intake setup that would be used only for running the engine before installation in the car. Ebay has some weber carbs cheap, or I have an old 2bbl Autolite. Fire it off on ether, then steady state running at 2000 for 20min. Would that be useful?
purple
I remember reading here that it's best to break an engine in on established carbs that you know are tuned properly and are not running too rich. I remember richness on break in will wash the oil off the rings and make issues for you down the road as far as sealing as concerned. I have a single progressive carb on my 914 and it's pretty hard to tune at all. most of the time the engine smells rich.

Oh, and search for my name in regards to cheap ebay webers. Jake Raby replied to those saying that the castings and quality of those webers on ebay is trash, and they're cheap for a reason. He had pics and everything of porous castings that would make the carbs completely un-tuneable
Just my $.02
dfwteenerpr
I was talking about the $20used ebay carbs, not the new ones.

If you can't tune them on your car, sounds like it won't work at all.

QUOTE(purple @ Dec 23 2007, 06:44 AM) *

I remember reading here that it's best to break an engine in on established carbs that you know are tuned properly and are not running too rich. I remember richness on break in will wash the oil off the rings and make issues for you down the road as far as sealing as concerned. I have a single progressive carb on my 914 and it's pretty hard to tune at all. most of the time the engine smells rich.

Oh, and search for my name in regards to cheap ebay webers. Jake Raby replied to those saying that the castings and quality of those webers on ebay is trash, and they're cheap for a reason. He had pics and everything of porous castings that would make the carbs completely un-tuneable
Just my $.02

Jake Raby
Using questionable carbs for engine break in is not smart.

This time of the engine's life is the most critical!

If you have a carb that runs rich there is a good possibility that you'll end up with cylinder walls that are washed of their lubricant, since fuel is a solvent, not a lubricant. This can and will result in rings that will never seat.

Also, if the carbs have issues that interfere with cam break in they can also be harmful to the engine...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

As Jake said, who knows more than him on type 4 engines?????

"As he has said so shall it be written "

Dave slap.gif
purple
see, i was right biggrin.gif

My buddy jake here has my back wink.gif

i'm just a good listener
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.