Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what it cheapest way to ship engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
what it cheapest way to ship engine ??
lotus_65
i shipped an engine case and 4 wheels (different times) via forward air a couple years ago.

it was cheaper than anything i could find including greyhound. but that was a couple years ago...

paul
Gary
If you need door-to-door instead of terminal-to-terminal, freightquote.com is what I used to ship a -6 motor last month. They appear to be a shipping broker - ended up picking fedex-freight for mine. I put up the extra $250 for insurance (newly rebuilt 3.2L). If I recall, cost was $500 door to door from Tennessee to Washington before insurance for a 450lb pallet.
dfwteenerpr
from where to where? Makes a difference if it's airport to airport or boondocks to boondocks. Shipping is nuts these days.

daveyboybadion
Jim, I have posted this before somewhere, I've had the best luck with Yellow Freight. You have to have a business license and create an account, but the agents are very helpful and can walk you through the process. The cheapest rates are terminal to terminal, so if you can get the seller to palletize the parts and drop at the nearest terminal you can pick up at your nearest terminal and they will forklift it onto your pickup. You will have to have a freight class and the weight, and Yellow will tell you if it's less money expedited or standard shipping. A complete 928 drivetrain and a 1.8 914 engine later, I am quite satisfied with their service...daveyboy
rhodyguy
i had great success with freightquote. i did do the deal speaking directly with the agent. terminal to terminal. DO NOT go with the standardized loss valuation. it's based on the weight of the item shipped. it's little more than pennies per pound.
jimkelly
thanks guys - i am just wondering i case a good deal arises - jim
scotty b
Jim the 951 engine I got came from Texas. It was about 250.00 IIRC. The guy I got it from uses that shipper regularly to ship parts so he may have gotten a better deal than you or I could. confused24.gif I can try to dig up the shippers info if you would like. I know i have it somewhere.Terminal pickup is MUCH cheaper. I always go that route on large pieces.
dfwteenerpr
When I got an account at a shippers it was at 60% discount off the regular rates. Not that hard to get one but was a big time savings.

rhodyguy
i just looked at my bill of lading. from hayward ca to kent wa the bill was $89.64. term to term including the actual item value insurance.

k
okieflyr
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

Can't say if they are the cheapest, but I used ESTES Express recently on a tranny that I bought. Everybody I spoke to through the process was friendly and helpful for this first timer. I scheduled the facility pickup and had it shipped to my commecial address. Since they are very heavy in this region, my tranny came next day frome Shine racing in MA...

Kevin.

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 24 2007, 07:22 AM) *

what it cheapest way to ship engine ??

McMark
I use frieghtquote.com because I can get a pickup < 12 hours from when I place my order. And I can set everything up online at 2am. And they do easy door to door service.
dlo914
Try RoadWay Express, i used them a while back to ship a 2L from Washington to SoCal, from one drop port to another for around $200 IIRC.
mack914-6
Forward air. Great price. Check out their website..t....
santa_smiley.gif santa_smiley.gif
Mack
type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 24 2007, 12:01 PM) *

thanks guys - i am just wondering i case a good deal arises - jim

...says the guy who already has a V8 and a -6 motor biggrin.gif pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.