Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am a newbie 914 owner and have some questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
James914
Hello I just got a '73 -914 with a 2.0.aktion035.gif I grew up with porsches in the family and I have wanted one since I was a kid. I am 28 now and looking to fully restore pan off and all. anyways....

I am trying to find the center reflective insert between the tailights and having a heck of a time trying to find one . Prefer new but used would do.

also now any honest tech shops in Vancouver washington/Portland oregon area?

And which motor is best for conversion? I would like to stay aircooled and porsche. I don't care for the V8 american conversions.

any suggestions on what I should look out for and what to replace as I go would be gladly welcomed and I am sure I am getting bashed for a newbie.

Have a great christmas!

James aktion035.gif
James914
Hello I just got a '73 -914 with a 2.0.aktion035.gif I grew up with porsches in the family and I have wanted one since I was a kid. I am 28 now and looking to fully restore pan off and all. anyways....

I am trying to find the center reflective insert between the tailights and having a heck of a time trying to find one . Prefer new but used would do.

also now any honest tech shops in Vancouver washington/Portland oregon area?

And which motor is best for conversion? I would like to stay aircooled and porsche. I don't care for the V8 american conversions.

any suggestions on what I should look out for and what to replace as I go would be gladly welcomed and I am sure I am getting bashed for a newbie.

Have a great christmas!

James aktion035.gif
James914
Sorry I didn't mean to double post. Confusing software to me!
type47
don't think the center piece is available new anymore and i rarely see them used. as far as conversion engine is concerned, your wallet is the limit. from Raby engine to porsche 6 cylinder to subaru conversion (i read your want to keep air cooled), i wouldn't say there is a "best" conversion, everyone has their own opinion and you know what they say about opinions biggrin.gif just consider that with an engine upgrade, there should be suspension and brake upgrades to go along. happy motoring and

welcome.png

doh! as soon as i say i rarely see them for sale, there's one for sale here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78923
swl
Hey James! Welcome to the madness.

The reflectors are aftermarket. Never were a factory option. They may still be available at one of the specialty places but they do show up on ebay every now and then.

What motor? How much money and time ya got? If you have money and no time a Raby 4 would be the best bet. Bolt up and go with gobs of torque, HP and drivability. Jake Raby is a bit of a contraversial character but man he is pushing results out of an aircooled 4.

Once you get into the porche 6's you've got a lot of parts hunting and fabricating to do. Search for Michel Richards thread. I think it is called 'restoring an original 6'.

Lots of Subbie guys on the board - I'm sure they'll kick in with their advice.
James914
QUOTE(swl @ Dec 24 2007, 05:45 AM) *

Hey James! Welcome to the madness.

The reflectors are aftermarket. Never were a factory option. They may still be available at one of the specialty places but they do show up on ebay every now and then.

What motor? How much money and time ya got? If you have money and no time a Raby 4 would be the best bet. Bolt up and go with gobs of torque, HP and drivability. Jake Raby is a bit of a contraversial character but man he is pushing results out of an aircooled 4.

Once you get into the porche 6's you've got a lot of parts hunting and fabricating to do. Search for Michel Richards thread. I think it is called 'restoring an original 6'.

Lots of Subbie guys on the board - I'm sure they'll kick in with their advice.

I think I want to stay porsche motor.....Something german built with a jap motor sound like a fast and furious 4 movie or something!!! haha

I thought that was aftermarket piece but i was not sure. I like the way it looks though! I have about $10k to dump into it over the next 6 months and I don't want to cut any corners. I already will be replacing the hell hole metal and longs even tho the longs are in good shape.

also whats a " ballsy" sounding exhaust for the stock 2.0 ?

I have built performance M3 Bmw's previously and this is a whole new world to me , thanks for the welcome and info , I am spending christmas getting knuckles bloody and cussing alot!
Gint
welcome.png

The "which motor is best for conversion" question has been beat to death around here. I have no desire to participate in that debate yet again, but If I ever do a large motor in a 4 cylinder 914, it will likely be a Raby 2270. Oddly enough there never seems to be a shortage of people that want to argue this particular point. Stay tuned...
James914
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 24 2007, 05:56 AM) *

welcome.png

The "which motor is best for conversion" question has been beat to death around here. I have no desire to participate in that debate yet again, but If I ever do a large motor in a 4 cylinder 914, it will likely be a Raby 2270. Oddly enough there never seems to be a shortage of people that want to argue this particular point. Stay tuned...

Ok i don't know the lingo of what a raby motor....what is it and what does it consist of in general , don't have to break it down.

THANKS! smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(James914 @ Dec 24 2007, 07:01 AM) *
don't have to break it down.

I won't. Somebody else will I'm sure. I merged both of your duplicate threads. Have fun.
swl
Jake Raby has done a ton of research on how to take our stock 4 cylinder motors and squeeze everything possible out of it. Cylinders, pistons, cams, heads ... He'll sell you a kit or a turnkey. Leading edge of his research is turnkey only.

See the 'Rolling Thunder' thread below.
xperu
For the Reflector; call Automobile Atlanta they have them Ref. page 145 of their catalog. When you call; order the catalog it is full of anything you want for your 914. 1-800-792-4944 Mike welcome.png
carr914
Skip the reflector. It requires drilling 6 holes in your back panel, looks like do-do and is not original. Welcome to the World

T.C.
rhodyguy
you gotta drill a bunch of holes in the rear facia to install a center reflector. add the selenoid to operate the trunk latch (you're going to cover the exisitng lock button) and a manual backup release for when the the selenoid doesn't work. if your engine runs well, fix the rust and renew the suspention components first.

k
TJB/914
welcome.png Welcome James

Tom
James914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 24 2007, 07:30 AM) *

welcome.png Welcome James

Tom

Thanks for the advice and info.... I am going to kick back a few cold ones and get greasy!

purple
I have a rear reflector you can have for free, just pay shipping. It's not in perfect shape, but it'll get you the look you want.

The guys above are correct, it requires 6 holes drilled in the back of the car and removal of the trunk lock.

PM me if you're interested
swl
ok - nobody has done it yet so allow me ...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Watcha got?
jonferns
I already will be replacing the hell hole metal and longs even tho the longs are in good shape.

if the longs are in good shape, why would you go through the trouble of replacing them? welcome.png

-JON smile.gif
James914
QUOTE(swl @ Dec 24 2007, 07:43 AM) *

Watcha got?

I will go take some pics right now
James914
QUOTE(James914 @ Dec 24 2007, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Dec 24 2007, 07:43 AM) *

Watcha got?

cant find my camera , so i took a quick pic with my iphone....as good as it gets till i get my camera back.

actually i can't figure out how to put up pics
jonferns
usually, I find it easier to upload them at photobucket.com, and copy the [IMG] link to here, and thats it.
James914
I was wondering if anyone has sanded their targa top and made it smooth? if so do you like it ? I was considering it.

Jeffs9146
The reflectors are aftermarket. Never were a factory option.

A lot of people used to cut the early 911 reflector off on either end. It looked "OK" but as stated before you have to drill 6 holes and add a solanoid & back up opener.

actually i can't figure out how to put up pics

I think you still need to have at least 10 posts to put up photos but if not you browse for the attachment and click "add this attachment". If your problem is getting the photo from your phone you need to e-mail it to yourself and save it on your computer before you can attach it here!

OH and welcome.png
jonferns
I think you still need to have at least 10 posts to put up photos but if not you browse for the attachment and click "add this attachment".

then you select "add into post"

good luck

-JON smile.gif
James914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 24 2007, 10:37 AM) *

I think you still need to have at least 10 posts to put up photos but if not you browse for the attachment and click "add this attachment".

then you select "add into post"

good luck

-JON smile.gif

Ah thanks , I was trying that but it wouldn't let me , thanks EVERYONE for the help,info and such

I don't mind the wiring , I do custom electronics in high end cars , so this car is like the easiest thing in the world to wire. I would assume a 20 lb actuator for the trunk release would work , but i am thinking about a linear actuator and just have a switch to power it up instead. just fuse it in the cabin to failsafe it . I am going to try to run fiber optic letters on the engine cover to give it a soft glow at night. Sounds cool , but ya never know when it turns out looking ghetto. if i successfully do it clean I will post a gude how to do it.

Any other sugestions for custom lighting or wiring guides you would like to see I am more than happy to make a guide or attempt to do it. To repay for the free info you guys are giving me! Thanks again
jim912928
I had my targa top sanded smooth and painted the same color as my car (also painted the valences/rockers same color). I love it. Check my blog for some pics.
Gint
QUOTE(James914 @ Dec 24 2007, 08:48 AM) *

914World FAQ Forum - Adding Pictures to Your Post
SGB
QUOTE(James914 @ Dec 24 2007, 07:55 AM) *

I have built performance M3 Bmw's previously ...

WELCOME!

I'm a BMW -currently got a 91 318is- junkie too (there are a few othors on-board here also)
And F-1 is my other weakness. Its gonna be a crazy season...

Here is my Triad exhast on a 2.0 liter engine, but it is not stock.

Triad exhaust vid
xperu
James, just aome advice/my 2 cents. taks some time to go through the may picture of member photos in this forum, ther are some real beauties and find what you have in mind what you wnat your car to be (Road, track or both) then make the car you want, remember it's your car, your preferance, your wallet. Enjoy your 914 they are great cars and a lot of fun. Get behind the wheel and drive it, and over time you will be rewarded for your decissions about how it looks and what you want it to be. You will find a lot of knowledge in this forum and I have benifitted a great deal from it. Best success Mike
boxstr
You are welcome to stop at CAMP 914 and I will let you try a smooth top on your car. I can also give you names for repair work who are good and know the 914.
Welcome to the World.
CCL
James914
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 24 2007, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(James914 @ Dec 24 2007, 07:55 AM) *

I have built performance M3 Bmw's previously ...

WELCOME!

I'm a BMW -currently got a 91 318is- junkie too (there are a few othors on-board here also)
And F-1 is my other weakness. Its gonna be a crazy season...

Here is my Triad exhast on a 2.0 liter engine, but it is not stock.

Triad exhaust vid

Nice I like that deeper tone , sounds good man. You get the 318 hatch? I love those ! I was an intern for a BMW tech for 2 years , got to mess around with alot of M5's , M3's and alot of the Z series.

F1- was crazy last year , i hate alonso with a passion and I have been a die hard fan of Kimi since day one.

Nice to have another F1 fan , I dunno anyone else into it.

Thanks for the welcome , I am gonna buy that exhaust...where do you recommend I get it?
James914
QUOTE(xperu @ Dec 24 2007, 03:15 PM) *

James, just aome advice/my 2 cents. taks some time to go through the may picture of member photos in this forum, ther are some real beauties and find what you have in mind what you wnat your car to be (Road, track or both) then make the car you want, remember it's your car, your preferance, your wallet. Enjoy your 914 they are great cars and a lot of fun. Get behind the wheel and drive it, and over time you will be rewarded for undefined decissions about how it looks and what you wanted it to be. You will find a lot of knowledge in this forum and I have benifitted a great deal from it. Best success Mike

hey thanks , I have been a sponge in here absorbing as much as I can about the 914. you guys are kick ass!
SirAndy
welcome.png
Sleepin
Welcome! I am fairly new as well....and new to 914's for the second time! There is a lot of knowledge here to be soaked up for sure! Glad to see I'm not the "brand new" FNG anymore!

Enjoy your car! I have had 13 years and a lot of fun cars since my last 914......and it still drew me back! Welcome to the madness!
Gint
This is still...

Everything you need is right here. I'll post the link again. And contrary to what was posted earlier, there is no minimum post limit to post pictures.

914World FAQ Forum - Adding Pictures to Your Post
rhodyguy
if you are clicking on the "preview post", DON'T!! just "add this". do read the tutorial.

k
bperry
Rather than going with an electric solenoid or actuator, you could go with a completely
manual release. So simple, not much to fail, and you don't have to have a
battery hooked up to open your trunk.

Here is a member kit:
Engman Manual Trunk Release Kit.

--- bill
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif
jim912928
I installed the engman manual trunk release...it's great..two finger pull and the trunk is open. Very well engineered!
Allan
QUOTE(James914 @ Dec 24 2007, 09:50 AM) *

I was wondering if anyone has sanded their targa top and made it smooth? if so do you like it ? I was considering it.

I did and love it... BTW, welcome.png
jonferns
I do like the look of the smooth painted top, but being fiberglass, when it flexes, cant the paint crack or split?
Allan
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 25 2007, 03:14 PM) *

I do like the look of the smooth painted top, but being fiberglass, when it flexes, cant the paint crack or split?

I think that would depend on the prep and the quality of the paint. The DuPont paint I used will flex an incredible amount before it cracks.
boxstr
Try this for more info on the Triad.
http://www.triadwestperformance.com/Products.htm
CCL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.