Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition timing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lorenzo the Scribe
Guys,
I just signed on to this list now that my 1971 914 is up and running on a two barrel carb system. I have the timing set at the notch which is supposed to be TDC, and it appears to be running pretty well. I have been moving the distributor around but can't seem to find the other marks that my Haynes manual tells me are supposed to be there. Any hints on the "easy" way to time the beast. I have to say working with a mirror in one hand, a timing light in the other doesn't leave a lot of arms to move the distributor.

Lorenzo the Scribe
toon1
With the car at idle you will not be able to see any marks.

spin the engine by hand and bring it up to TDC( the 0 on the fan linned up with the notch on the fan housing).

Spin the engine(by hand)slowly clockwise and there should be another mark. that is your 27* @3500 rpm mark. paint the SECOND mark white for visibility.

The proper way to time the car, disconnect BOTH vac. lines from the carb to the dizzy.

with the engine running, bring it up to 3500 rpm and look for the 2ND timing mark. and line that up with the notch on the fan housing.

the notch on in the housing is on the back side of the hole.

Its a PITA to time these things because of the confined space.

There is also an article on the pelican parts website.
swl
Emphasis on 'back side of the hole'.

Removing the rear lid is really simple - 2 nuts. Makes timing a whole bunch easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.