Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tagtmeyer914
hello new to the forum there seem to be a lot more people here as compared to the pelican parts forum. anyway ive got a 74 1.8 fi and im not getting any fuel pressure. the fuel pump appears to be pumping all of the fuel back to the gas tank instead of through the engine lines i can see the fuel coming in the "s" port and it appears to come out the "R" port with the y in the fuel line isnt it supposed to come out of the"d" port? the car has been sitting for 3 years i guess i gave up on it for a while. and ive even put a spare fuel pump i had lying around on it with the same result. is the a possible clog in the tank? maybe a wiring problem
toon1
Have you checked to see if there is fuel at the engine??

seeing fuel returning to the tank is normal.

warrenoliver
QUOTE(tagtmeyer914 @ Dec 24 2007, 01:35 PM) *

hello new to the forum there seem to be a lot more people here as compared to the pelican parts forum. anyway ive got a 74 1.8 fi and im not getting any fuel pressure. the fuel pump appears to be pumping all of the fuel back to the gas tank instead of through the engine lines i can see the fuel coming in the "s" port and it appears to come out the "R" port with the y in the fuel line isnt it supposed to come out of the"d" port? the car has been sitting for 3 years i guess i gave up on it for a while. and ive even put a spare fuel pump i had lying around on it with the same result. is the a possible clog in the tank? maybe a wiring problem

Man, that sounds familiar! I just went through that with a newly rebuilt fuel pump. When I hooked it up, the car wouldn't start. I took it out and it was doing the same thing as yours WTF.gif . I could not get it to pump out of the "D" port. I sent it back and HPH sent me a new one. I tested that one first, when I knew it worked, I hooked it up and it started right up.
I know that doesn't really help your situation other than to reassure you that the darn thing can and will only pump out of the "R" port. Wish I knew how to help you fix it, but I didn't dare to tear mine apart to see if I could fix it myself.

Warrenoliver
tagtmeyer914
well warrenoliver you seem to be some what helpful i checked to see if it goes to the enine. i put the tube in my mouth from the passengers side fuel rail and my cheeks were full of air so i have no fuel but air out of the d port but not enough air to show up on a pressure guage. i read another article on this forume relating to a rubber nipple or something but it didnt contain enough info should i stick something small in there and push or try spraying gummout in the holes. i have a very limited budget and both of my fuel pumps do the same thing and my old fuel pump is unable to be removed due to a stripped bolt the bottom one rusted out the top one is stripped. maybe time for a front trunk fuel pump install.
swl
There is a pop off valve that holds the return port open until you get all the air out of the line. It has a little rubber tip on the end of it that seals off the D port. That rubber gets really sticky with time and when it does there is not enough pressure from the fuel flow to close the pop off. I had no luck when I tried to bring my pump back from that - no replacement rubber available. If the fuel is flowing well out the R with little or no bubbles then I would guess that the problem is that valve. Probably looking at a new pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.