Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STOCK, TRIAD, BURSCH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Im back dating my exhaust system on 75 2.0, to 73-74 SS exchangers and debating on which muffler to go with. On a scale of 1-10, and the stock banana
muffler being a 5 on loudness/decibals, where would the TRIAD and Bursch fall into that scale. I don't want something that is too loud (aka Monza). I read alot of the previous posts on the Triad and listened to sound clips, but haven't really seen anything on a "loudness" rating/comparrison to stock. Also the 1 pipe for the Triad, would I be correct in assuming that would be slighly quieter than the dual? Thanks for your input.
PeeGreen 914
Well, if you're talking about loud I think it is important to factor the sound. The bursch, to me, sound louder than the Triad, and it isn't a great sound. The triad sounds very nice and smooth. If I were toi rate it on a 1-5 scale with 1 being stock I would say a Triad is a 3, bursch a 3.5, My custom Triad a 4, and staight pipes 5 biggrin.gif Go with the Triad, you will not be upset.
SGB
Both the Triad and Bursch are LOUD. I love my Triad's mellow, tuned tone. It reminds me of a bass trombone. The Bursch is a bit more grating. It has got to be the big resonance chamber design on the Triad that is the source.
tod914
the bursch i currently have on my 75 set up, is fine as far as noise level goes. so if the triad is a tad quieter that would be perfect. that monza was too over bearing. thanks again for the feedback guys. I'll email triad and see which of the 2 ( 1 pipe or 2 ) is the more subdued and place my order. have a great holiday!
rhodyguy
dave ellison (triad) only produces a dual outlet system.
tod914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 25 2007, 09:01 AM) *

dave ellison (triad) only produces a dual outlet system.

Our high performance 911 and 914 mufflers are custom built for your specific model and engine size. Single or dual outlet models are designed to meet your noise-level preferences. Compare our Triad mufflers to others: In house muffler test, Craney Engineering

I'm just going by what he has posted on his site. I'll see what he says when
he replies back.

rhodyguy
perhaps i'm mistaken. when i was down at the shop last month for morgan's engine install, dave made no mention of pulling the single outlet version jig out of mothballs. he did mention the new system for 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers.
Gint
FYI - the Triad (any muffler for that matter) is significantly louder if you have carbs.
JRust
I agree go Triad. I've got one waiting to go on with SS HE I bought from John Kelly a while back. Hopefully sometime in the next 2 months anyway. Still working on the the 2.0 to go in too smile.gif
Brando
I've heard all three, and driven in cars with all 3. The sound of the stock muffler setup is pretty quiet in comparison to aftermarket options - mainly because it has a 2-chamber setup - and some later ones with a catalytic converter. If you're talking about the banana style muffler that is on 911s... Those can range anywhere from mellow toned silent to raspy loud with some deep grunt in the low RPMs.

The Bursch with the muffler it comes with is a few paces over the stock 2-chamber setup. It has a 4-2-1 collector setup on it and will net you a few HP gain over stock. The sound it puts out is dependent on what muffler you run. With the original magnaflow it can be pretty tinny and just plain loud - barely any thing inside to absorb the sound. With a glasspack on there, expect LOTS of noise - maybe a 9.5 with 10 being open exhaust. You'll hear it and feel it in the cab - regardless of how much sound-deadening you have. If you chop that off your options are endless for quiet and flow with the bursch's plumbing.

Now, the triad is the hot ticket - short of a race header system - like Eurorace or Tangerine's setups. It offers the most performance gain over other muffler setups with a tolerable sound output. Some claim it makes your type 4 sound like a six; but that might be an exaggeration. On the noise scale it may be a 6 or 7.

Keep in mind, a lot of the noise heard in the cab is from the engine itself -- not just the exhaust. The sound of noisy lifters and/or carburetors will drown out most all of the exhaust sound. I'm surprised that once my car is warmed up I can't even hear the exhaust over the normal running of the engine (with well-adjusted valves and no more exhaust leaks). When I did have an exhaust leak before, it was very noticeable, it sounded like grenades going off behind my seat! Thankfully that's fixed now.

If you're thinking affordability, the bursch is more affordable than the Triad exhaust. But the bursch also has a longer reputation of having the muffler rust out within a short period - so add the price of having a muffler shop add a decent muffler on there (maybe in a year or two). Cost me $60 for a small turbo muffler out the door.

But in the end, it will come down to which you like the most. I would suggest taking a ride-along with a few people who have each, and choose from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.