Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To hone or purchase new
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
I been contemplating re-ringing my pistons and honing my cylinders. Should I bother or should I purchase a new set. There is some minor scoring in the cylinder walls but the compression in the cylinders was between 110 and 130 across all cylinders.

I noticed this on ebay anyone have any comments (I assume that if they are Chinese manufactured they will be garbage)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-94mm-2-0...sspagenameZWDVW

Thanks,
Dan
TheCabinetmaker
No one gonna comment? Ok, here goes. If your looking to just make the engine last another few years, take the cyls to a machine shop, get them honed professionally, and new rings. I've got 25,000 on my new rings with no problems. If your looking for an upgrade, spend the extra bucks for the 96mm with a mild cam. Raby kit maybe? Either way, your prolly better off than with p&cs of unknown quality.

Disclaimer: only my personal views based on my experiences.
davep
Charles Navarro can refurb your cylinders, and make them better than new. I've been thinking of this myself. Old cylinders are pretty much done warping/ relieving stresses, and once refurbed perhaps with coatings and cryo might be far better than new originals, and certainly better than Chinese.

http://www.lnengineering.com/reconditioning.html
dfwteenerpr
those ebay pistons are for a Vanagon. They will give you compressions below 7 to 1 with your stock 2 liter heads, and you probably don't want to do that.
Elsewhere there there are "flat top" sets that will work better. Most guys go with 96mm when they are replacing them, unless they have to keep stock size for racing rules. A better way is to buy KB Pistons and have your cyls bored/honed to fit. Absolute best way is buy some kb 96mm pistons and have your cylinders bored/honed to fit by Charles at the link above.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.