Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2056 Engine build parts list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I can't seem to find the spreadsheet on jake's site:
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/vw_2056.htm

Can someone post a link or send it to me? Just looking to get an idea of all the parts and prices for a hot 2056 engine rebuild.

Thanks
hydroliftin
Doesn't seem to be out there anymore. I can e-mail it to you if you PM me your e-mail address. I think the file was from April 2006, so it probably doesn't represent what is in the kit now.
i love porsche
woah, yarin, so will you have a megasquirted 2056?
Jake Raby
All our kits are disabled purposely and have been for a month while we reconstruct the engine kit program for 2008-2009. One of the biggest changes is not offering kits to anyone using MS or a similar non proven, experimental EFI system to feed the engine. If you wonder why, just ask Dave Hunt. I have no desire to assist another kit prurchaser for 4 years with failure after failure only to have the EFI system be the culprit of several thousand lost dollars and a scar on the reputation of my kits.

ANY PRIOR KIT LISTS OR SPREADSHEETS ARE SUPERSEDED AND NO LONGER VALID!!!

But people will no longer be able to use our spreadsheets as a baseline to build their own similar kit, due to the format changes we have made :-)
orange914
if your switching from 1.7 or 1.8 to the 2056 like i am doing the list gets alot longer and the build cost are driven up. stuff i didnt really think about at the first stage of desiding the builds direction.

locating/repairing 2.0 harness, 2.0 fuel injection stuff like intake, injectors, cht and resistor, other sensors, air cleaner, ect..., reprograming m.p.s., possible e.c.m. (depending on year). 2.0 tin.

do you want the better breathing of s/s or 2.0 h.e.'s and muffler? what about electronic ign and coil to handle more demand?

yada yada yada

wishing you the best, we should put together a 2056 registery there are quite a few of us building one it seems driving.gif

mike

DanT
2056 completed in April, '07. AXed ~9 times, 3 days at Laguna Seca and still ticking.
no oil leaks, consumption or other problems.
starts everytime on the first try, idles better than it did as a stock 2.0L
runs cooler with Jakes 9550 cam, my stock 94mm Mahle cylinders bored out to 96mm, and 96mm KB aluminum pistons.

power is definitely an improvement over stock. biggrin.gif

considering a 2270 kit in another year or so.

anyone thinking about building a 2056 should just go ahead and do it.

I was lucky since I had a 2.0L so I did not have to go looking for harnesses, ECUs,
tin, etc.
I run stock D-jet and have been very happy with it so far.
won my PCA AX class running against 987Ss, 986Ss, 993s and 996s, all on sticky tires.
Pulled a '65 911 at Laguna with a Jerry Woods 175HP 6.

Oh and I won the Improved 914Cup....
not bad for a garage built 2056 in an old Puttputt. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Dan your car is hardly a putt putt. It is absolutely BE U T FULL !!!!

A well prepared car with all tha attention to detail as yours is has an upper haand on most of the other cars.

Being faster than other Porsches seems to be the general consensious of 914's Maybe thats why nobody with a real Porsche likes us.

I see no reason that you can't buy all the parts to build a 2056 2270 or 2316.

HOWEVER, it will not be a Raby kit it will be your kit. There is a lot of work put into a "kit".
You will quickly figure this out when you have a pile of parts on your bench and you are scratching your head because this needs clearancing that isn't right, the whatchma call it don't fit the case. You are fighting with the local machinist to balance your entire rotating assy to .02 grams. (they can't).

So good luck.
yarin
I'm not looking to buy the entire kit, more like a 2056 on a budget. I really don't know exactly what is in my motor right now, no clue if there was any head work done, what cam is in there, compression, etc etc. I'm considering building a 2056 neither next winter or the following winter, really no concrete plans. I have some other stuff to take care of first.

What I do know about my motor is: 2.0L, 4-2-1 1.5" header system, stock 2.0L injection parts, Megasquirt (yes I'm sticking with, i'm a happy MSer). I have the hardware to support a hot 2056.

My thoughts right now are get Jake's cam kit, misc hardware kit, maybe 96mm KB P&Cs, but really don't know as I don't know what in my existing motor. A 2270 would be great, but sounds like it would require a fair amount of modification and non-stock parts. I'll keep the existing clutch, PP, flywheel, crank, rods and just have everything balanced. Also planning on sending out the heads for inspection/rebuild to a qualified head guy like Len.

Target budget is $2000-$2500.
I believe Dan built his for around there, right Dan?

DanT
Yes my build was about $2k +or-.

I used Jakes 9550 cam and then had my 94mm jugs bored out to 96mm to match the 96mm KB pistons/rings.
case was align bored and all oil galley plugs were tapped and plugged
crank was checked and polished
rods were checked, and new small ends.
2.0L heads were repaired (one very small crack), new valves, seats, guides
flywheel was litened and then balanced with the Pressure plate
then I put it all together in the garage with help from my neighbor (Porsche trained mechanic). He has an actual certificate from Porsche about successfully completing the type IV training, for motor rebuilding. biggrin.gif

Machining was the biggest cost, the parts from Jake were relatively inexpensive.
yarin
Sounds like a plan!

How much did it cost you to rework the heads? (part + labor)
How much labor for the crank, rods, jugs, flywheel, etc?

Just trying to get an idea of what to budget for labor.

Thanks

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 26 2007, 11:43 AM) *

I used Jakes 9550 cam and then had my 94mm jugs bored out to 96mm to match the 96mm KB pistons/rings.
then I put it all together in the garage with help from my neighbor (Porsche trained mechanic). He has an actual certificate from Porsche about successfully completing the type IV training, for motor rebuilding. biggrin.gif

Machining was the biggest cost, the parts from Jake were relatively inexpensive.

Brando
I've got a (waiting for a few misc parts) 2056 which I did my own kit with a lot of Jake Raby's parts. I used his 96mm AA Cylinders, KB Pistons, his 9550 cam. Also running his reccommended MSD setup, will be running a unilite (more than likely bought from his store), and I'll also have to buy one of the 6-spring clutch discs from his site. The only parts not used are the heads he provides and the nikasil cylinders he sells... Maybe a lot more since the R&D coming out of his shop changes on a weekly basis.

Most of the rest is stock 2.0L components; case, crank, rods, cooling assembly. Flywheel is a different beast (webbed 10lb light flyhweel).

My total investment thus far is about $1600 -- that includes the repair work I had done to the heads and case (cracks).
Jake Raby
You will quickly figure this out when you have a pile of parts on your bench and you are scratching your head because this needs clearancing that isn't right, the whatchma call it don't fit the case. You are fighting with the local machinist to balance your entire rotating assy to .02 grams. (they can't).

People have to experience this before they understand it.. No one can beat it into their head until then and most can't see past the fact that kits are not just a box of parts...

I can always help someone get a good running engine for less money, but they'll never get what a kit can provide.

TRhats because everything is in the combo- including simplicity and effectiveness.
DanT
QUOTE(yarin @ Dec 26 2007, 09:04 AM) *

Sounds like a plan!

How much did it cost you to rework the heads? (part + labor)
How much labor for the crank, rods, jugs, flywheel, etc?

Just trying to get an idea of what to budget for labor.

Thanks

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 26 2007, 11:43 AM) *

Yarin, IIRC, the cost for all my machining including the new valves, guides, valve springs and retainers, jugs, case, flywheel,etc was just about $1600.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.