Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to test fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beamer13
Ok, so this might be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. How do I go about bench testing a fuel pump?? It is one of the 3 port type for my 74.. how do I connect it up?? Is there anything that I should do to prep it?? I thought I had seen somewhere in here about submerging it in gas for a bit??? Picture of where the connections would go to do the test?? HELP!!! biggrin.gif
Thank you very much, in advance!!
Ron
Joe Ricard
You don't submerge the pump.

You an however test to see if it will work.

Multimeter set ot read Ohm's measure across the two terminals.

Then you can hook 12V to it and let it spin for a fraction of a second (don't want to run it dry very long)

Then put it in the car hook it up and put gas in the tank. it will work so go drive it.

warrenoliver
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Dec 26 2007, 01:02 AM) *

Ok, so this might be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. How do I go about bench testing a fuel pump?? It is one of the 3 port type for my 74.. how do I connect it up?? Is there anything that I should do to prep it?? I thought I had seen somewhere in here about submerging it in gas for a bit??? Picture of where the connections would go to do the test?? HELP!!! biggrin.gif
Thank you very much, in advance!!
Ron

Ron,

C'mon man give the poor beast a rest - it's cold out here! laugh.gif

I checked my fuel pump before install cuz it is such a bitch to get it in there and take it out. What I did, was:
Take a length of electrical line and attach spade connectors on one end and alligator clamps on the other. I got about 20' of wire so I would be away from the car and out of the garage when I did this. I was very concerned about a fire as you should be. Next, I got about 10' of clear plastic line large enough to connect to the fuel ports on the pump. Using a pump oil can, I forced some clean 30W oil in the "S" port to help prime it - (per instructions). Helpful hint here: warm the fuel pump and the oil can first - I store mine in my house overnight to get it up to 70 degrees instead of the 20 degrees in my garage. Just be careful of residual gas in the pump-I sealed mine in a ziplock freezer bag. I then put a 4' line on the "S" port and 3' lines on the other two. I attached the pump to a board and plugged the spade connectors into the fuel pump - be careful that you are connecting + and - correctly because apparently, the pump can run backward. I then took a small funnel and attached it to the 4' "S" line and carefully filled it with gas and left a few inches of gas in the funnel. Gas may begin leaking slowly out of the other two lines at this time. The other two lines I had running out into a shallow pan to catch the gas. I then connected the negative alligator clamp to the negative terminal of my riding mower battery. Be sure to check that you have the correct polarity and then clamp the positive clamp to the positive terminal. Be careful of a spark and keep it back from the gas! It should start right up and you will see the gas pump out of both lines if successful. Hope that all makes sense.
Good luck.

Warrenoliver
Beamer13
Actually today it is balmy:-) In fact I was thinking about taking the top off of the Jeep and goin cruizin :-) jk LMAO This is awesome info!! Thank you very much. I can't really give it a rest if I want to achieve my goal of having this done by Spring... Plus I don't want to lose momentum!! Hope your holiday went well!
Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.