Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 902 Transmission.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So has anyone made these to use on a 914? I see one on ebay, and I know it has the S gear in it. I need that gear and for the price it is at now it's less than most would pay for gear, but I am wondering if you could use these cases on a 914. Would it be any better as it is aluminium?
smontanaro
I see the auction. How is a 902 transmission different than a 901 or 915?

Skip

PeeGreen 914
I know that the gears in the 902 are different, and the S gear is rather desirable. The 901 is made out of magnesium, and I think the 902 is aluminium. looks like it is a tail shifter too. Just don't know if anyone has thought about using the 902 case or if it would be anything worth while.
914Sixer
I have an 902/01 trans on the stand right now. The case is aluminum. The gear set will be unkown until you take it apart. They were set up for the 912(356C) motors. Gear set will depend on the 4 or 5 speed. Differentials and cases are weak compaired to the 914.
Cap'n Krusty
Unless you're buying it for parts, I wouldn't bother. Smaller, much more fragile diff, smaller (12mm vs. 14mm) threaded mainshaft (where the nut holds 1st gear), well known for breaking. It's true that it's a tail shifter, but none of the shifter components are applicable to the 914 tail shift setup (the 914 setup is sort of a tail mounted side shifter). It has early synchro mechanisms which were subject to a running change in 1970. The 914 end cover isn't a bolt up, and the stub axles don't interchange.

Not all 902s, BTW, had the S 4th gear. There are FIVE different 902s, one a 4 speed, and only 2 of 'em have the S gear.

The Cap'n
PeeGreen 914
OH, thanks guys... That's why I asked biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I have a 5 speed one that I just gutted for the MSX gear set to sell (fairly cheap if you are interested). The whole 902 would not make a good candidate for the 914 for the reasons John said.
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Mike. I was really only interested in it because of the S gear, but it looks like it would end up being a wash as I know I can get an S gear for about the same as the case is right now.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 26 2007, 01:08 PM) *

I have an 902/01 trans on the stand right now. The case is aluminum. The gear set will be unkown until you take it apart. They were set up for the 912(356C) motors. Gear set will depend on the 4 or 5 speed. Differentials and cases are weak compaired to the 914.

The first 902s (both 4 and 5 speeds) were used in 911s as well as 912s, and the gearing was the same for both applications. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.