Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Newest Porsche Mid Engine Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades
My wife and I happened to visit the Penske compound at RennSport III while they were getting the RS Spyder ready for its track laps. First off, the crew checks all four tires by rolling the car back and forth.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The engine bay looks more like the satellites I have seen close up than a car. There is lots of gold heat shield foil, high tech connectors, and everything is neatly labeled and perfectly clean.

Click to view attachment

FourBlades
Notice the muffler??? at the end of the exhaust and how short the whole exhaust run is. Until recently, Porsche did not want anyone photographing this engine. Penske crew is not allowed to service the engine, but they can change clutches if needed. Penske guys were great about answering our questions.

Click to view attachment

Suspension arms are highly polished metal, maybe titanium, instead of carbon fiber. Must need reliability rather than weight savings.

Click to view attachment

Each connection is labeled.

Click to view attachment

I asked what race was their favorite and the crew guys said, "the ones we win".

Click to view attachment

More next post...
FourBlades
How do you warm up the engine of an RS Spyder? You take off an access panel and press down on the gas pedal with your hand while your teammate keeps an eye on the laptop.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Putting the rear cover back on.

Click to view attachment

Helping Timo Bernard get into the car and get strapped in.

Click to view attachment
FourBlades
All ready to go.

Click to view attachment

Pushing the Spyder out of the Penske tent.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The car fires up instantly with no smoke, no drama. I am standing 10 feet away and it is not at all loud even without ear plugs. Just a very Porsche like growl as Timo eases the car through the paddock.

Click to view attachment
FourBlades
Cruising through the paddock on the way to the track and I am thinking, "You are one lucky dude to be driving this car." None of the crew guys had ever gotten to drive the car, only the test drivers and race drivers. The RS Spyder is for sale if you have around $2,000,000 handy. The crew guys said they expect there to be between 5 and 9 racing next year.

Click to view attachment

On track for some demonstration/parade laps. While they could not do full speed laps due to all the other cars, they did some fast blasts down the straights. At one point it looked like he was setting up a drag race with a 962 but they never really went full out.

Click to view attachment

At the concours the next day.

Click to view attachment

Hope you enjoyed the pictures...go to RennSport IV in three years if there is any way you can for pure Porsche overload...

John
Krieger
Lucky dog!!!!!!! Beautiful car! I like those pics better than the ones in Excellence/Pano the last few months...Thanks
plymouth37
Wow great pictures! Thanks for posting!
championgt1
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Awesome car and awesome pictures. I always wanted to see that car driven in anger, hope to some day very soon. aktion035.gif
lotus_65
what, no audio file for us when they fired it up?

oh well, nice outing.
FourBlades

I'm glad people enjoyed the pictures. Next time I will shoot a short video for the engine sound, good idea.

I am collecting the racing 914 pictures I took that day...
McMark
Pictures = drooley.gif

Thanks for sharing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.