Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 oil tank mounting? Are gaskets needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Yes another question on my /6 conversion. I purchased a DW Design oil tank for my conversion. I have cut all the holes in the inner fender area and have painted everything including the cut edges so no rust ( hopefully ) in the future. My question is when I do mount the tank are there gaskets/weatherstripping that should be sandwhiched between the tank and the inner fender? I was thinking I would get some closed cell weathstripping foam maybe 1/2 inch thick and install it on the tank around all the openings. And put rubber washers between the tank and the inner fender where the two mounting bolts go thru, does this sound like a good approach?
IronHillRestorations
The factory method uses a closed cell foam gasket over the tube for the oil filler neck and breather tube. These compress to seal around the two upper holes. There is a rubber boot with O ring for the filter console, and a flat rubber washer for the lower oil line connection. IIRC all the boots and gasket stuff runs around $90. I wouldn't install that tank without the filter console boot and clip. The others you could improvise.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 27 2007, 06:31 AM) *

The factory method uses a closed cell foam gasket over the tube for the oil filler neck and breather tube. These compress to seal around the two upper holes. There is a rubber boot with O ring for the filter console, and a flat rubber washer for the lower oil line connection. IIRC all the boots and gasket stuff runs around $90. I wouldn't install that tank without the filter console boot and clip. The others you could improvise.

agree.gif

If you drive your car around at all in the rain you'll get a bunch of dirt around the fittings and filter over time. Makes a mess of things. I trimmed down a 911 gasket and it seems to have worked really well. I drive mine daily.
smokey
monkeydance.gif

smoke.gif agree.gif
rfuerst911sc
Anyone know the part number for this rubber boot? I looked on Pelican but couldn't find anything.
Steve
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 27 2007, 10:15 AM) *

Anyone know the part number for this rubber boot? I looked on Pelican but couldn't find anything.

There is also rubber fittings on both sides of the bolts that bolt the tank to the car.
The rubber fittings go on both sides of the sheet metal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.