Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Washer question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
I read Sir Andy's article and it poses a question.
I recently replaced this switch with one from a 73.
I have a 72, but it has movable seats...

So,
now I have no wipers, but that could just be cause I did not push the connnector on the right way.
But, here are the two questions.

If I have the early wiring harness, without the intermitent wiper function, would the newer switch work at all?
Currently my blinkers now work and shut off when the wheel it turned, but the wipers do not function.
I am heading out to track this down, but I would hate to chase my tail when the answer is I have the wrong switch in there. If so, I can put the old one back and fix it with parts from the newer one...
Pinout the same? different?

Second question.
If I have the newer switch, and I ge that to work, can I add the two wired to the plug (or pillage a plug from a 73 out back) and along with the relay make it work like stock????

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2007, 10:53 AM) *

Second question.
If I have the newer switch, and I ge that to work, can I add the two wired to the plug (or pillage a plug from a 73 out back) and along with the relay make it work like stock????

yes. if the '73 assembly supports the intermittend option, it's as simple as running a single wire (brown/black) to the cowl area. this wire supplies the switched power for the relay.
all you need is the relay harness and the relay, install as per my article and use your own wire to connect the relay to the column switch.

bye1.gif Andy
r_towle
I have three 73 parts cars in the back. I should be able to scrounge up all the needed parts and wires...

Rich
r_towle
So, Im confused.
I have put a newer switch in the car, I cant remember ever using the wipers since I did this.
I put the switch in to fix the blinkers.

So, anyways I have no wipers now.
I checked the power at the fuse. Fuse 8 (counting from the left) power while key on, power while switch on, power while swith off.

So, maybe I need a new switch?
There is no relay in the front trunk (its a late 72) so I dont have intermitent wipers (yet)

What to check...any ideas aside from removing the steering wheel?

I am starting to think that maybe the switch that I put in was from a 73 (most likely, all the parts I have are from 73 or newer) is wired up differently to allow for the relay/intermitant wipers.

So, does anyone know if these wiper switches on the column are interchangable?
The blinker side works, the wiper side does not.

Rich
r_towle
Still no wipers, I replaced the switch on the column.
Is there a realy I am missing?
Under the fuse panel?

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 28 2007, 12:46 PM) *

Still no wipers, I replaced the switch on the column.
Is there a realy I am missing?
Under the fuse panel?

was your wiper switch originally on the column or on the dashboard?

i know the pin layout between early and late columns don't match. there also might have been a switch in pinlayout for the later style columns right at around '73 ...

make sure the wire colors match on both connector parts ...
idea.gif Andy
r_towle
For future reference.
The pin layout for a 72 and 73 are the same.
4 pins, all colors the same.

The relay under the cowl is coming off the wiper motor and its a ground relay, which I do not have.

The difference in the column switch is a small tab that physically stops the handle from going into the lower position. This is the intermitant position. This position has no way of retaining the handle, so it pops back up once you let go.

The logic for the intermitant function is in the relay.

So, I learned all that crap, and fixed my wipers.

I had my son drive the car to a car show, he has big ass feet.
Somehow the wire on the rear of the fuse panel, the pushed on tab connector on the back was loose, about 1/2 way on.

Pushed it on tite, at better.

Now I just need to figure out how I switched the wipers to lay on the passenger side at rest. I want to get them back to the correct side again.

I have a few linkage setups so I will go see the difference.

Oh, now I will do the washer also.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.