Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: puzzling alternator problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
Trying to figure out a charging system issue I'm having. My alternator doesn't appear to be putting out any juice... 12.7 volts by multimeter coming from the battery with no key on. 12.5 volts with car running. Idiot light on the alternator appears to be working. If the idle drops under about 400 rpm, my gen light will come on (making me think the light's working as designed, I guess). Voltage meter in the console shows a flat 12v while running (drops to 10v with headlamps lit). All that said, is the voltage regulator internal or external on 'teeers ('75 1.8). If it's external, how can I test it. Best course of action??? Thanks all!!!

--jaybird headbang.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jaybird840 @ Dec 27 2007, 04:14 PM) *

Trying to figure out a charging system issue I'm having. My alternator doesn't appear to be putting out any juice... 12.7 volts by multimeter coming from the battery with no key on. 12.5 volts with car running. Idiot light on the alternator appears to be working. If the idle drops under about 400 rpm, my gen light will come on (making me think the light's working as designed, I guess). Voltage meter in the console shows a flat 12v while running (drops to 10v with headlamps lit). All that said, is the voltage regulator internal or external on 'teeers ('75 1.8). If it's external, how can I test it. Best course of action??? Thanks all!!!

--jaybird headbang.gif

the quickest check is to replace the external voltage regulator on the relay board and clean the ground at the right firewall from the battery and the rear trans ground strap and recheck. (also make sure the battery terminals and posts are clean
davep
I agree with George.
Never trust the console voltmeter, only a voltmeter attached to the battery posts. Also test the voltage from the negative post to the fan shroud on the engine. There should be very little voltage (drop) on the ground circuit. If there is, try a heavy ground strap between the ground on the wall and the fan shroud, thus bypassing the body and the transmission ground strap entirely. The alternator is grounded to the fan shroud.
jaybird840

the quickest check is to replace the external voltage regulator on the relay board and clean the ground at the right firewall from the battery and the rear trans ground strap and recheck. (also make sure the battery terminals and posts are clean

Is it possible to test the voltage regulator (like, with a multimeter) so I don't end up purchasing one to swap and then not need it? (serious personal pet peeve). thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!
draperjojo
Yeah, you should read about 12.5 volts at the battery with a Digital Multi Meter. Then fire up the engine and it should read 13.8-14.5 DCV. The factory gauges are only good for a reference point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.