Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to transport a windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkos
I already broke one windshield (dropped a 2x4,off the rafters in my garage, thru it!). I don't want to break this one. I need to drive it home, about two hours. I don't have a pickup truck. The biggest vehicle I have is a Taurus Wagon with a roof rack. Any suggestions?
GWN7
wrap it in a quilt and put it in the back seat...
dkos
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Dec 28 2007, 10:39 AM) *

wrap it in a quilt and put it in the back seat...

that sounds easy enough...with the bend facing up or down?
GWN7
bend down....more surface area being supported by the seat
bdstone914
Go to a bike shop and get a big long bike box, they fit in them snug and I have transported about 8 this way and never broke one.
dkos
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 28 2007, 10:49 AM) *

Go to a bike shop and get a big long bike box, they fit in them snug and I have transported about 8 this way and never broke one.

good idea. Thanks.
dkos
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Dec 28 2007, 10:48 AM) *

wouldn't bend up put more windshield in contact with the seat?
mack914-6
QUOTE(dkos @ Dec 28 2007, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Dec 28 2007, 10:48 AM) *

wouldn't bend up put more windshield in contact with the seat?

I think is might fit best if you bend over....
bootyshake.gif
dkos
I think is might fit best if you bend over....
bootyshake.gif
[/quote]

wow WTF.gif
blitZ
I typically see glass transported on its edge and believe that is the preferred method. Set it in the back seat floor between the front and rear seats. Stuff some pillows in the voids to keep it from moving. Don't do any off roading.
sww914
The edge is a much safer way to transport it. Every glass truck hauls it's glass on the edges. I would put the outside of the windshield against the seat back and strap it in with the seat belts and some pillows. I you pull the seat belts all the way out and then let them retract the should lock. It's a feature for using child seats. After you lt them retract all the way they'll unlock again.
dkos
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 28 2007, 02:47 PM) *

The edge is a much safer way to transport it. Every glass truck hauls it's glass on the edges. I would put the outside of the windshield against the seat back and strap it in with the seat belts and some pillows. I you pull the seat belts all the way out and then let them retract the should lock. It's a feature for using child seats. After you lt them retract all the way they'll unlock again.

nice idea. I could probably bungee it to the seatback
Sallachie
As stated above, transport on the edge. Have the windshield standing, so it doesn't flex.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.