Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru 3L 6cyl into a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
finstermojo
Has anyone done a 3L 6cyl to a 914 and does Renegades stuff fit that engine. The engine stock is about 220 hp and I am told by Out-front it can pump out 270hp with just an aftermarket ECU by links. Does anybody know about this?

Thanks
Matt
lotus_65
locust.gif
Grasshopper, all you seek and more is behind this link:

Search page
toon1
If memory serves, the first Subie convert was a 6.

He was the pioneer of the subie conversion and the car recently sold for a resonable price.
finstermojo

I have a Rabys 2.3 that i built about 3 years ago loaded with just about everything to max it out it has a mallory distributer along with a mallopry 685 Vl programmable ign weber 44s a header exhaust and when i had the car dynod it came up 135hp and with this engine the car does 0 to 60 in 6.5 sec I did a full 2 year resto and every thing about the car is stock except the engine and now comes boredom and i am looking to do something that will give me at a min 200hp and no more than 275hp this way i don't have to mess with the tranny. I was looking into a 2.5 suby non turbo and im told i can max out at 190hp and i get mixed info if on that so i was looking at the newer suby 3L that has the right hp but I don't have much space to work so i want something that will fit with minimum fabrication. I will also be selling the 2.3 turn key with everything i have 2 head temp gauges hooked up so i flip a switch and it will read the front cyl and then the same gauge will read the back cyl and it was a great way to tweak the engine. it will come ready to go exhaust ign gauges if you live in NY you can come and see it. If i was to do a Porsche 6cyl will they match up to the tranny and what would i need for that kind of swap? any info is greatly appreciated.
jaybird840
QUOTE(finstermojo @ Dec 29 2007, 08:13 AM) *

I have a Rabys 2.3 that i built about 3 years ago loaded with just about everything to max it out it has a mallory distributer along with a mallopry 685 Vl programmable ign weber 44s a header exhaust and when i had the car dynod it came up 135hp and with this engine the car does 0 to 60 in 6.5 .....

If you decide to do the suby swap, lemme know. I'd be interested in buying your Raby motor......

--jaybird
shelby/914
JSteele22 in Colorado Springs is doing a Suby 6. I think he is getting close to being finished. Nice guy, give him a PM.
Jake Raby
You could always do an upgrade of the MassIVe engine...

We are up a solid 40 HP over what was offered 3 years ago, and all these things have been designed for possible upgrades to earlier engines.

It would be the most cost effective way for sure, since most of the parts can be reused and the parts that get upgraded will sell fast on my forums...

Basically all you'd need is a different cam, heads and CR..
jaybird840
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2007, 10:48 AM) *

You could always do an upgrade of the MassIVe engine...

Dammit Jake!!! I'm trying to backdoor my way into his motor so I could do what you're suggesting.... Oh well, back to saving pennies for the 2270. chair.gif
--jaybird
Jake Raby
Yeah, most people don't know that we offer the upgrade service for Turnkeys and engine kits.... We did several upgrades this year and most guys had to spend less than 2500 bucks for FORTY HP and no loss of reliability..
Chuck
Upgrade the 4 or put in a six - it's what the car was designed for.

I bought my car with the intention of doing a suby swap. The more I looked, the more I just could not stomache cutting the front for a radiator. Plus, the more math I did, the more I realized that there really wasn't that much cost difference between any of the alternatives if each of them were done correctly. If you are a great fabricator and/or have most or many of the parts already for one or the other, then the math may be different for you.

Because you already have a Raby kit, that is by far your most cost-effective way into additional hp. I chose a 3.2 6. With a freer flowing exhaust and a rechip, the car should be approximately 240-250hp at the crank and it is right for the car. My 4 will be stored for a future project. biggrin.gif

Whatever you decide, do it because that is what you really want. Better to save your nickles and wait than do something less than what you want to get it done. In the long run, you'll be happier with your car. Good luck with your project.
finstermojo
Jake so $2500 would get me 200hp what would be the next step for more hp and how much would that be also what parts need to be changed for that and how long and reliable would the engine be. sorry for the 100 questions but this is a good option b/c i hate to cut a mouth in the front of the car.
What would i need to send back for work and what is the lead time for this.
Jake Raby
finster...
Feel free to ask this question over at my forums, I try to keep all the specific info off public sites to avoid complaints...

I don't recognize your user name, be sure to state if this was a turn key or an engine kit when you post on my forums. If its a kit we can offer the parts to upgrade the engine, we only complete upgrade work on our turn keys (at 1/2 labor too!)

None of the upgrades we have available offer a loss of reliability, our development has retained the longevity and reliability while making more power.

MORE POWER DOES NOT MEAN LESS RELIABILITY OR LONGEVITY!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.