Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone Rewired with aftermarket wire kits.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howie's 914
Ok, so my baby has come home. idea.gif I am thinking about rewiring the car with a new aftermarker 18 circuit system. The wires I took out I would not put back. I am also going from a 4 to a 6 so I will not be needing the EFI. Please let me know if anyone has done this and if so any tips and pic's would be great.
Cap'n Krusty
Right off the bat, there aren't any FI related wires in the main harness, other than maybe the wires for the fuel pump. Secondly, the wiring in a 914 is pretty well organized, non-redundant, and well thought out. The fuses aren't asked to carry anywhere near the load they can, and any shared circuits supply related consumers. Unless the wiring is rat-eaten, burned, scraped through, or hacked by a person of less skill than is required to do the job properly, I've rarely had to replace any of it (and I'm coming up on 35 years of working on 914s on a near daily basis). The Cap'n
Howie's 914
Thanks. The problem is alot of the wires have lost the plastic covering.

LvSteveH
I recently did a complete rewire using an American Autowire highway 22 kit on one of my cars.

It's a really big job, especially if you want to use all the factory switches and accessories. On the up side it uses modern GXL wire which is a huge improvement over the original wires. The fuse panel I used is a little large, but it is way more than would ever be needed.

By the time you're done you'll have a really thorough understanding of how everything works and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. You could of course just make a carbon copy of the factory harness using new wire, but I think it makes a lot more sense to source a nice used harness if you plan on going that route.

As Mr. Krusty said, as long as they are properly wired up the factory setup is pretty reliable. I usually install a supplemental relay and wires for the headlights, but otherwise haven't had too many issues.

degreeoff
yep EZ wiring 12 kit. I only did the basics and had to modify it a bit for the 'mid' engine config....but I think it'll work!!! (ignition, lights, signals, brakes, gauges and wipers) see my thread for ppics...to detailed to explain it all but the folks over there @ EZ were very helpful I being ANAL as I am even used heat shrink tubing on it ALL what a PIA!!
Bartlett 914
If your wiring is trashed, I would suggest getting one from a parts car. There should be plenty around. If you need a new fuse panel. Engman sells a nice one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.