Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking from the accelerator pump diaphragm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I rebuilt one of my 44idfs on Charlotte today. There was black silicon around the accelerator pump diaphragm that I took out. I cleaned it all up, put in the new diaphragm, buttoned everything back up and put the carb back in the car.

Car started right up. Settled into a nice idle. I looked into the engine bay and there is a nice dribble of gas coming from the accelerator pump diaphragm cover.

How do I best deal with this? Do I need to go the silicon route too? Are there other options?

Please let me know.
Twystd1
Yo,

1: Yank the carb

2: BEFORE you remove the 4 accelerator pump cover screws. Look to see if the pump diaphragm/gasket is pinched or waffled.
If so. Theres your leak.
If not.....
Read on.

3: Next move, is to make sure the sealing surfaces on both the carb body and the accelerator pump cover is flat. The easiest way I know of is the following.

4: Take cover off. Grab a BLACK felt pen (Sharpy) and put black ink on all the mating surfaces. Chuck the carb body softly in a vise or some other holding contraption. And lay a WIDE, fine, flat file against the mating surface. Make a couple of strokes on the accelerator cover to carby mounting surface. If there is a high or low spot. It will become immediately evident from the shiny surface VS the black surface you will see with a couple strokes of a file. If it ain't flat... File it flat. Keep even pressure on the file. Go slow. Keep it flat. Keep your fingers in the middle of the file. Use 2 hands. One for motion. One to keep the file flat.

5: Then do the same thing to the cover. Once flat... It won't leak.

6: More often than not. The problem is with the diaghfram/gasket getting kinked because the 4 screw holes aren't punched into the gasket squarely. Then as you tighten the 4 screws. The gasket bunches up and won't let the cover seat flat. Thus a leak....!!!!! Sometimes. You will need to SLIGHTLY elongate or SLIGHTLY enlarge the cover holes to match the gasket to keep the gasket from bunching during assembly. Been there.... Done that.....

7: Carry on Soldier.

Cheers,
Claytonobitch
KaptKaos
Grassy Ass wink.gif
KaptKaos
The outside housing definitely is bowed. It doesn't sit flat at all. The carb body's surface seems to be flat and true. Going to try your methods tomorrow and see how I do.
Sallachie
Silicone usually doesn’t work well for gasoline, kinda freaks out.
Twystd1
Surfacing the cover of the body will change the amount of "Squirt" or volume put out by the accelerator pump.... Eye ball the amount of fuel the pump squirts and compare it to the other carb...........
To make sure it is squirting the same amount.

Kewlio... Hope it works out.

NOTE: If you need to. You can remove the roll pin for the pump arm and remove the pump arm if needed. It's easy....

Cheers,

Clayton
KaptKaos
I tried this today and it didn't go too well. It still leaks. I thought I had it pretty good, but it still leaks.

Are those available as a replacement? Anyone have a spare?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.