Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 Route 66 Ramble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gregrobbins
The 4th Annual Route 66 Ramble 2008, is just around the corner. Scheduled for March 7-9.
NOW is the time to make your plans to attend.

The event will start with a BBQ in Scottsdale on Friday March 7th at Michael Wills home.
Saturdays twisty drive will take us to the northern part of Arizona to the town of Winslow on Historic Route 66. The route will take you from the Sonoran Desert of the Phoenix area through the pine forests of the Payson, Pine, and Strawberry area north to Winslow. You know, “Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, ……”

The Host Hotel for Saturday night will be the historic LA POSADA.
BOOK YOUR ROOM NOW IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND. Book a room now if you even think you might attend. There are only 20 rooms available. The price is $99. For a few dollars more you can get a balcony, jacuzzi or fire place.

The La Posada is a really cool place. This National Historic Landmark is located on Route 66. Look here for more photos.

For more information, PM me or call at 602-291-3525.
gregrobbins
There is an active thread about this event at the link below.
LINK
effutuo101
Winslow:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0822/p14s01-litr.html
for all of those old school rock-n-roll types. Sorta funny that this shows up in the Christian science web page.
orange914
i looked over the links and didnt see a route plan, pheonix to windslow thru kingman? can you point me to exacts on time/route beerchug.gif

mike
gregrobbins
I can be a little more specific.

Meet at the Coffee Plantation on Shea Rd./72nd Street at 8:00
Leave Scottsdale at 9:14 heading north east
Coffee stop in Payson
11:00 +/- proceed north to Pine, Strawberry
Still working on a lunch stop
Then on to Winslow. Hotel check in and group dinner.

Sunday, everyone is on their own. Some will head West on 40 to California/Nevada, some East to New Mexico/Colorado. Others will return South to Phoenix.
MoveQik
QUOTE(orange914 @ Dec 29 2007, 04:46 PM) *

i looked over the links and didnt see a route plan, pheonix to windslow thru kingman? can you point me to exacts on time/route beerchug.gif

mike

FWIW, this has never been a big event but it always proven to be a great drive and a great group. Last year was a little more "official" than previous years with the event ending up in Laughlin after some crazy roads and white knuckle drives. This years run looks to be shaping up as another great drive through some very fun and winding roads here in AZ. Make it if you can!
orange914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 4 2008, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Dec 29 2007, 04:46 PM) *

mike

FWIW, this has never been a big event but it always proven to be a great drive and a great group. Last year was a little more "official" than previous years with the event ending up in Laughlin after some crazy roads and white knuckle drives. This years run looks to be shaping up as another great drive through some very fun and winding roads here in AZ. Make it if you can!

we're building a 2056 for my sons 73 and am hoping to have it on the road soon driving.gif i am having a big delay with p&c issues headbang.gif it would be really cool to make the run and meet some az. 914r's. i'd be coming from the central valley area in calif. i lived in tempe years ago and the mother in law lived in kingman for years until recently.

i'm assuming/figuring you'll probably come up 93 to 40 to laughlin? about how many miles do you usually cover?

mike smile.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 4 2008, 05:33 PM) *

we're building a 2056 for my sons 73 and am hoping to have it on the road soon driving.gif i am having a big delay with p&c issues headbang.gif it would be really cool to make the run and meet some az. 914r's. i'd be coming from the central valley area in calif. i lived in tempe years ago and the mother in law lived in kingman for years until recently.

i'm assuming/figuring you'll probably come up 93 to 40 to laughlin? about how many miles do you usually cover?

mike smile.gif

I hope you can make it. No Laughlin this year. We BBQ in Scottsdale on Friday. Leave Scottsdale Saturday morning for Winslow via HWY87(Payson/Strawberry) Party in Winslow Saturday and head home Sunday. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(orange914 @ Dec 29 2007, 03:46 PM) *

mike

Just follow Slits. Then when he gets stopped for speeding, just wave and keep going. No, really, it's fun.
Cheers, Elliot
Gint
I might be able to make this one this year.
boxstr
DOH.
AZ914
Alright GINT!!!

Mike (Orange).. Central Valley, is that San Bernadino area? (forgive me I'm not from Cali). If so, just take I-10 to FEEENIX (Scottsdale).. easy drive. You can get back via 40, etc.
orange914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jan 4 2008, 08:46 PM) *

Alright GINT!!!

Mike (Orange).. Central Valley, is that San Bernadino area? (forgive me I'm not from Cali). If so, just take I-10 to FEEENIX (Scottsdale).. easy drive. You can get back via 40, etc.

naw... it's more or less inland of the s.f. bay area about an hour. in the last 15 years i've done the kingman trip to the inlaws 2x's a year- 99s to 58 to 40 - 9 hrs. i absolutely love the drive! the kids have grown up knowing the freedoms of shootin' and wheelin' the kingman desert. ar15.gif i miss it though as since my accident the mother in law moved to ohio, no more trips. sad.gif i did live in tempe as a 18 year old, i know it has really changed since.

i dont think the motor will be together in time with all the delays, icon8.gif but i'll follow the progress anyway

mike
MoveQik
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 4 2008, 07:51 PM) *

That would be awesome Mike. All I hear from "other" people in CO is a bunch of wining that it is too far. hide.gif
Gint
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jan 4 2008, 09:46 PM) *
Alright GINT!!!
I really dig automobile history and the Route 66 thing.

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 5 2008, 08:10 AM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 4 2008, 07:51 PM) *
That would be awesome Mike. All I hear from "other" people in CO is a bunch of wining that it is too far. hide.gif
They just don't really appreciate a good road trip.

Twise
Okay - This will be my cars debut. Now with a deadline set and money spent on a hotel room, I have to get it done, right? Here is where I am at - right now. Lots of putting together to do.......

See you guys in AZ - I cannot wait....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
MoveQik
The car looks great. So I guess you won't have much spare time between now & then! Hope to see you here.
Sleepin
I just got confirmation that I will be making it! I had to trade weekends with my counterpart at work...but it all worked out!
Gint
Shar booked us a room at La Posada for that Saturday night so I guess we're in.
effutuo101
Have fun everybody! Post cool pic's like this
Gint
Just checkin the dates again and found the thread on page 2! icon_bump.gif

Happy to see this won't interfere with the RMR PCA swap meet later in March.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 12 2008, 08:36 AM) *

BTW....what day do you guys plan on heading down Gint?
MoveQik

Thanks for the bump Mike. The all the latest information is HERE and it will be continually updated as the last few details are nailed down.
TROJANMAN
I've had the chance to read the planning forum for this event.
The planners are doing a great job.
Whoever attends is going to have a great time. smile.gif
Twise
Well we are in the Mary Colter Room 210 - I thought I would come out on THursday and have Jim Patrick maybe tweek my engine after its first 371 miles (from Temecula). We plan on staying at a friends house in Mesa on Friday night, and meeting you guys at 9:14 in Scottsdale at the Starbucks. Any body got a cel phone number of someone to call in case we get lost? How far from Mesa to Starbucks? Really looking forward to this event - The wife, not so much, but she is on board. She wants to know if there will be really curvy roads involved? I told her "I don't know, maybe". happy11.gif I may end up bringing one of the kids instead. Okay - back to work, gotta get this car ready. I am a definite for sure attendee...
Gint

Shar and are trying to plan a few extra days of vacation in the area since wee'll be there anyway.

It would seem that Winslow is a fair distance from Pahonix, and RT66 ran pretty much parallel give or take with I40 from Holbrook to Kingman. I guess we're starting at Pahonix/Scottsdale because that's where the local gang lives?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 14 2008, 05:02 PM) *

It would seem that Winslow is a fair distance from Pahonix, and RT66 ran pretty much parallel give or take with I40 from Holbrook to Kingman. I guess we're starting at Pahonix/Scottsdale because that's where the local gang lives?

the drive up 17 from phoenix to flagstaff is pretty scenic, once you get into the hills ...
driving.gif Andy
TROJANMAN
If you have a few extra days do the Grand Canyon and come home through Four Corners. Monument Valley is pretty impressive. Also check Narp. I think Greg or someone gave a few ideas for sights in the area. wink.gif
Gint
New career as a tour guide? Not looking for places to visit (especially those I've already been to laugh.gif) or a AAA drive plan home. Although we are going to do a day at the Grand Canyon.
TROJANMAN
You said you were trying to plan a few extra days. I thought you were looking for ideas.

Tour guide? hmmmmmmmmmm..............idea.gif

biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 14 2008, 07:28 PM) *

New career as a tour guide? Not looking for places to visit (especially those I've already been to laugh.gif) or a AAA drive plan home. Although we are going to do a day at the Grand Canyon.

Mike,

If you can swing it, do the plane tour. You'll see some amazing scenery that you would never see from the ground.
Gint
That would be cool. Is there a local chopper tour available? Choppers are trippy!
MoveQik
Here is a peek at the theme of the awards....Best Interior biggrin.gif

***EDIT - No running 914's were injured in the making of the awards***
SharonG
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 12 2008, 10:52 AM) *

BTW....what day do you guys plan on heading down Gint?

Hey Eric, we're not ignoring you... we just don't have firm plans yet. beerchug.gif
Gint
Actually I didn't see that post until just now.

What she said...
Sleepin
I see how you guy's are! biggrin.gif

Well we are probably headed down on Wednesday if you want someone to caravan with! drunk.gif
MoveQik
Bump.....and a preview of the much coveted Best nonNARP award. biggrin.gif
Gint
icon_bump.gif

driving.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 18 2008, 11:25 PM) *

I see how you guy's are! biggrin.gif

Well we are probably headed down on Wednesday if you want someone to caravan with! drunk.gif

Hey Eric, we're not heading down until Friday but thanks for the offer! beerchug.gif (and Mike and I are caravan challenged anyway. biggrin.gif )
MoveQik
QUOTE(SharonG @ Jan 28 2008, 08:02 PM) *

(and Mike and I are caravan challenged anyway. biggrin.gif )

Wha??? That is the only way I'll travel. You know...go in a group and support eachother and help get the group there as a group. Sorta the "no man left behind" theme. Surely in a group as tight as the CO contingent a caravan is a no brainer.

Ok...ok...I almost got through that without a laugh. Looking forward to seeing you guys. Whenever you get here!
Krimee Ariver
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 12 2008, 12:05 PM) *

All the latest information is HERE and it will be continually updated as the last few details are nailed down.

This was buried on page 3 or 4. Here is a icon_bump.gif

Click on Mike's link for all the latest info.

The who's who of who's coming is growing quite large.

This is going to be a great event. biggrin.gif

-Greg

oops, wrong log in

TROJANMAN
biggrin.gif
SharonG
4 weeks from tomorrow!!! beerchug.gif
MoveQik
icon_bump.gif back up from page 3. Officially less than a month. biggrin.gif
Sleepin
icon_bump.gif We can't have this on page 4!!!! Coming up! Are you ready?
TROJANMAN
Nice banner ad smile.gif

And icon_bump.gif
MoveQik
2 Weeks..... icon_bump.gif

A little more hardware up for grabs. Complete with firing order decal in case we need to rebuild one while we are there.

MoveQik
icon_bump.gif one week
MoveQik
Ummmmm yeah......

Make it if you can:

Friday at the Route 66 BBQ:

Sunny High
71°F

Precip
10%

Wind: NE 11 mph
Max. Humidity: 21%
UV Index: 6 High

Sunrise: 6:49 AM MT
Avg. High: 75°F
Record High: 95°F (1972)

euro911
Gee - sounds like fun party.gif ... can I come? laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.