Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake caliper...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Okay, here's the thing. I'm getting into my leaking brake caliper and I notice that neither side has the inner adjustment screws for the e-brake. I looked on Pelican for replacements, but all I found were the outer screws. Are they the same, or am I missing something? I would think that another part would be needed to turn that gear in there. Am I missing pieces, or am I just an imbecile? Thanks much.
Mark D.
John
914 brake caliper adjusters

Do you mean like these?

BMXerror
QUOTE(John @ Dec 29 2007, 02:39 PM) *

914 brake caliper adjusters

Do you mean like these?

EXACTLY!! Thank you. I didn't look on Automotion. It's that gear mechanism that I don't have. What is that 8 and 10 mm? Is that the size of the thread in the caliper?
Mark D.
John
I'm not certain what they are. Eric Shea may be able to answer. He rebuilds a lot of calipers.

I know I have seen several rear calipers with the missing gear (shown in the picture), and thought that is what you were describing.

BMXerror
Does the gear ride on something or does it just float in there with a lock bolt or something? Maybe This :
http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...&pid=100392
Sorry, this is my first time into ANY calipers, so bare with my ignorance. I looked again and both the 8 and 10 say 'outboard', so I guess that's irrelevant. Thanks again.
Mark D.
davep
It is the top part of each of those adjusters that the Allen key goes into. You cannot be missing the 8 & 10mm adjusters without having a big hole in the outer half of the caliper. It is the short one that can and often does go missing. The caliper can function without it, but you cannot adjust it. Eric would have some spares, but they are getting scarce since so many get lost. Even though I have a lot of calipers and also rebuild a lot of them, I cannot afford to sell any spares since I just cannot find enough for my own use.
Joe Ricard
I might have one in an old caliper.
Send me a PM and I'll look in the morning.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 29 2007, 06:11 PM) *

I might have one in an old caliper.
Send me a PM and I'll look in the morning.

Thanks, but I have no problem with buying what I need. I just need to know what to buy. Do I just need the rear adjusters, or do I need the 'caliper plugs' too? I've never been into this before and I need to know what all I'm missing. Thanks for the link John.
Mark D.
Eric_Shea
8mm and 10mm reffers to the adjusters themselves. This is the threaded portion of the two adjusters shown in John's pictures. 8mm is for the 1970 through 1972 model calipers. 10mm adjusters are for the 1973 through 1976 models. Those adjusters pictured are for the "outer" pistons.

Mark found what he is looking for. It's the inner adjuster gear and yes, they are basically free floating in there. And... yes, this is why it needs the cover or "caliper plug".

So Mark, to answer your question; Yes, this is what Automotion calls the rear adjuster (It's actually the inner adjuster "gear". The rear adjuster is actually "inside" the caliper and not pictured.)

I have plugs and gears if you want them. The plugs we use are the best I've found. The ever so handsome Ed Morrow turned me on to them as a VW fuel filter plug. This is the same in appearance as the original however it has a much deeper hex seat and it's a 5mm hex vs. a 4mm hex on the original. What's cool about them? They're flat so you can install them (as you would the originals) prior to mounting the caliper. The 10mm variety some are selling are nice but, on many of our control arms they have to be installed after the caliper is mounted. Not a big deal, as they have to come off once the caliper is mounted but... you get the picture. What's also nice is, the 5mm deeper socket will not strip like "ALL" of the 4mm stock plugs.

The problem with the original ATE 4mm plug is, there is not enough surface area for the hex to engage to overcome the surface area of the threads, especially once x number of years of rust and road grime has set in.

Help?
Eric_Shea
Where is it leaking BTW?
BMXerror
Thanks Eric. I just wanted to make sure I had the right stuff before I plunk down the money.
BTW, it was leaking out the hole for the inboard adjuster on the driver's side. I found out later that the guy that rebuilt the calipers last didn't replace the seal on the adjuster piece that the piston mounts to. It wasn't leaking until I hooked up the handbrake and started moving that lever. Anyways, I think that's fixed now. Thanks again, everybody.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.