Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howie's 914
What size wheels do you have. I am looking for some advice on size. I have steel flares.

Thanks
Dr. Roger
Bigger is better!!!

LOL

only kidding. totally not true.
Rand
Advice for what? Street car? Race car? Concerned about looks? Weight? Traction? Tell us about the rest of your car.... Power plant? How do you drive it? What are your goals?

beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
I like my 17" Cup1 replicas. I wouldnt go bigger unless your roads are pothole free.
McMark
For me 16s are slightly better than 17s, aesthetically. And 18s are right out since they're too big.
Sallachie
I read an article about rims, and it didn't recommend going bigger than a 17" rim. The 'big shoes' that’s all the rave, actually is bad for performance. It seems the weight further from the center of the hub is a bad thing. They explained it all logical, and dyno less hp at the wheels with 20s than with 16s.
Eric_Shea
Howie's 914
It's just for a driver. I am think 17's but I can get a great deal on a set of 18's. Thou...

Thanks
Eric_Shea
If it's just a driver then I would go 16" for sure. I drove a 911 back from LA that had rubber bands on it for tires. Handled like "s-h-i-t". The new owner put the proper rims on the car and it's rumoured to be much better.
John
I'm torn between 16" and 17" rims.

Jerry
Go with 16 inch for sure. Better ride and handling and it looks right for the size of the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr.C
18in BBS
I wish they were 17s though. Already bent one on a railroad crossing.
stateofidleness
15x8

Click to view attachment
boxstr
I am going 17" one piece $1400-1500 for four +shipping. I think there will be a better tire selection and they will fill out the flares better.
Thats just me.
CCL
marks914
17X7 Boxter S al the way around w/ 205 50/17
The car rides pretty rough, even with a 50 series tire, espescially here in Michigan

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
degreeoff
well I have 2 sets of 15x8 & 15x7 trying to stay @ the stock GT size. I know one thing it handles differently with the 225 / 245 meat than it did when I had the 245 on 17's all the way around. It stuck better in the turns with the 17's but felt more nible with the 225 up front. I believe that the 15's are also better for ride as you have more TIRE to absorb the bumps.
rick 918-S
I have a set of four 15"X8" Fuch copies. I purchased them from the Tire Rack like 20 years ago. They performed very well. They are a little heavy but proved to be a fine wheel for a street car. I replaced them when I couldn't get the staggered tire sizes I liked in the same brand. There in my garage in storage.

I replaced them with 16"X8" and 16"X9 copies purchased from Performance Products. I think I have something like $ 1000.00 in the set of 4. I'm very happy with them so far. They are very light. Tecnology has come along way since the early days of reproduction wheels. I'm now running 255/50/16 Yokohamas on the front and 245/50/16's on the rear. They do a good job of maintaining the old school look of the original GT with tallish sidewalls with nice traction for a street tire .

I would stay away from 17"s myself. Just my preference. Too much wheel, too little sidewall for 30+ year old suspension design.
woobn8r
15" look "right" on the car and are more period correct...however, good rubber is getting hard to find in the correct 15" sizes... so 16" is the next best solution....lots of choice there, can still use real 16 x 8 FUCHS (if you can find and afford them)....this is the best solution for performance IMHO.

I will be giong 17" on my (street) car as the tires I want don't come any smaller that 17"....looks like fake Fuchs for me...or RUF 17" classics if I win the lottery....YMMV

BTW I already own both 15x7 Fuchs and 16x8 Revolutions (on 5 bolt pattern) and will STILL be buying new wheels....
smokey
very hard to find rubber 4 the 14 inch fuch .
jaybird840
FWIW, here's a pic of mine with 18x8.5's up front and 18x10's in the rear. I personally like the look. However, this is a weekend hill country car for me, not an AX car....

Click to view attachment
TINCAN914
Anything above a 16 and your going to really feel the road..
I went from 16's to 17's (Revolutions) and I can feel a big difference.
boxstr
That looks sweet. Do you have any more pics of the flares. Or the whole car.They look like they have been enhanced.
CCL
Eric_Shea
I'm sticking with 15 x7 and 8 but again, as others have pointed out here, anything above 16 and you're going to feel it. After driving 18's for an extended period of time I wouldn't want to go with anything larger than a 16 on this suspension.

The reason I recommend 16's over the 15's is the available tires especially for a flared car (you did say flares right?)
Dr Evil
My 17s feel just like the stock wheels to me. I have 50 aspect tires (235/50 R17 in front and 255/50 R17 in back). Sticks like glue......smells like poo dry.gif (Fixing the oil leak from the broken cylinder)
degreeoff
Jaybird do you have any more pics of that sweet assed car?? I must agree with eric on the tire selection...dunlop is the only brand with 245/50 for my 8's and goodyear is the only brand with slicks that fit well.
Howie's 914
Yes, I have the metal flares from AA. I also have a set of unused fiberglass ones if anyone wants to make an offer since I don't need them.
Elliot Cannon
Seventeens are the way to go.
luminarycrush
Hi, newbie 914 ('75 1.8 carbed) owner here - I don't even have plates on it yet, but first thing's first, I'm looking at wheels lol ... mostly because the brakes are shot, and I need new rotors...so, looking at brake upgrades and then I came across a deal on a 911SC front suspension fully ready to bolt-in (rotos/calibers/shocks/springs/etc the works for $500) but will need to replace the wheels to make it happen.

The car has a GT body kit/flares on it (fiberglass) so I should have some room. Currently my car has P205/60R15's on old-school chromed steel rims w/ center moon hubcaps.

How wide can I go? I came across some Boxter wheels, 17x7.5 front (w/ P205/50's) and 17x9 rears (w P255/40's) for a good price. I think the fronts will work (?) but the rears - are they too wide? How wide can I go w/ 17's?

Is there a wheel FAQ around here somewhere - I didn't see anything in the FAQ or stickies...

Thanks!

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 30 2007, 03:47 PM) *

Seventeens are the way to go.

PeeGreen 914
You should be fine with the 9's in the rear. you may need to trim a little, but it should fit. I could put nines in the rear of mine rather easily.
luminarycrush
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jan 7 2008, 08:10 PM) *

You should be fine with the 9's in the rear. you may need to trim a little, but it should fit. I could put nines in the rear of mine rather easily.

I picked up the rims tonight and yup, they will fit - thanks for the info. How do you like that color combo?!?!

IPB Image

This is proof that I'm now a 914er! (excuse blurry cameraphone pic)
wbergtho
Hey Jaybird,

I voted for your car because it totally kicks ass! Like the color. Like the flares. Like the wheels! The thing rocks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.