Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EXPERIENCED welders please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
It is coming down to the wire for me to have to buy a new tig welder. As much as I would like to get a Dynasty DX I just can't afford it right now. My question is an age old one Miller vs. Lincoln. Anyone used both and which ( and why
) do you prefer.

Specifically I am looking at the Lincoln precision 225 and the Miller Synchrowave 200.

Both are about 2000.00, air cooled

I have always had a Miller and with the exception of my current mig, have been happy with them. But my current mig has me a little p.o'd with Miller right now. I have a small Lincoln I use at werk and am very happy with it. Guess I'm just looking for any bad experiences or why one is better than the other confused24.gif

Thanks
scotty b
FWIW it will be used primarily for low amp sheet metal and sheet aluminum body werk but I do want the higher amp option for occasional heavier aluminum werk.
JPB
Sup local broskillet? I'd say Miller is blue cuz it blows and Lincoln is red cuz its goes!!! Today, all that stuff is good unless ya get the cheapo version of any of them. beer.gif
McMark
I have a Miller. Heard from a few people that Lincoln support /warranty can suck. But no first had experience. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either. But I like the color blue more than red. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(JPB @ Dec 30 2007, 04:18 PM) *

Sup local broskillet? I'd say Miller is blue cuz it blows and Lincoln is red cuz its goes!!! Today, all that stuff is good unless ya get the cheapo version of any of them. beer.gif

Damn son I thought you had kicked the bucket ! hadn't seen you aroung here ately. How'd the house deal go??
JPB
Like on the fourth house deal and still dealin. Lost way to many to be proud of myself. How's the 356 rat rod going? There is one at the Samba that I've been droolin over. I'm just one house deal from getting a flock of cars biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(JPB @ Dec 30 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Like on the fourth house deal and still dealin. Lost way to many to be proud of myself. How's the 356 rat rod going? There is one at the Samba that I've been droolin over. I'm just one house deal from getting a flock of cars biggrin.gif

That's in the planning/collecting stages still. 944,BMW motorcycle and dads 914 are in front of it.
JPB
I feel your wirk load bro, we gots ta get together at your wend some time and chill by the grill with a couple of cold ones. beer.gif
andys
scotty b.

What kind of work are you planning for? If there's any amount of aluminum welding or heavier gage steel in your future, you may find the air cooled torch a limiting factor. A water cooled setup will cost a few more $$. I tried a Lincoln Econo-Tig and it was a very decent machine, but after a while the torch handle got pretty warm. With that, you usually need to increase post flow to keep the tungsten happy.

Andys
Jeff Hail
Miller 180/220. Fully adjustable voltage/ heat control. I also have a Lincoln 100HD in 110 and it does not even come close to the Miller in any capacity.

I have welded steel, stainless and aluminum with the Miller. I would not consider even trying with the lessor Lincoln.

If you are looking for a TIG welder wait until you have the money. Do not compromise for anything less. Talk to your local welding shop. Ask to see the some work they have done. Most welders will take pride showing you their work.
Look around and see what they are using.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.