Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ears, ears.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
....Sorry. biggrin.gif
The ear is now 1/4 inch thick. I can't come up with anything obvious to brace the back side of the ear.....the angles are too great for anything to be of much good...tho I'm open to suggestions. Summore welding & grinding and we can move to the other side.
Mugs914
Looks good! thumb3d.gif

This is something I was planning to do on the turbo but haven't actually done yet. It uses a section of tube, or just formed sheet, to reinforce the "back side" of the ear. It would wrap around the bottom of the ear under the pivot arm, and connect to the front side of the console and the long. Pardon the quickie P-shop job, but it should give you the general idea...
McMark
Back to the tranny brace... confused24.gif

Looks pretty sturdy otherwise. thumb3d.gif That shouldn't go anywhere.
eeyore
Look beautiful, but if the ear is 1/4" thick, and trailing arm has roller bearings, how is toe and camber adjusted?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Mark Garriott @ Dec 30 2007, 10:47 PM) *

Look beautiful, but if the ear is 1/4" thick, and trailing arm has roller bearings, how is toe and camber adjusted?

confused24.gif How would that change how you adjust the toe and camber? You set those by using shims and adjusting out the trailing arms.

Looks nice JP. When you're done you can come up here and do mine biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Mark Garriott @ Dec 30 2007, 10:47 PM) *

Mark brings up a valid point. There is enough slop in bearing set-up (in and out) to allow for it. The is washer not parallel to the bushing face. The result is uneven wear on the inner washer.....which was apparent with the original ear.
The alignment guy was cussing at it last season....I don't suppose I've made it any easier. I run -.5 camber & 0 toe. Were I going for -2 or thereabouts, we could have a problem.
Joe Ricard
I imagine camber and toe would have to be designed in with a hunk of iron that thick.

You could always put in a spherical bearing. But for what JP is using for static alignment settings this should be more than adequate to maintain those settings under load.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.