Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electronic ignition installation help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
hey,
so i started trying to install my pertronix electronic ignition today while the weather was warm. after getting the engine lid removed and the cap off i found that the installation wasn't going to be a plug and play operation like i thought it was
here's a pic of my dizzy setup:
IPB Image
the green wires coming from the dizzy to the coil and condensor need to removed? or, do i cut the wires to length on the new electronic ignition so they fit inside like the existing setup? the plastic piece where the wires exit the distributor doesn't seem to be removable without breaking it. further, the green wire to the condensor is hardwired into the condensor. non of this is even mentioned in the instructions...i love it.

here's a pic of the electronic ignition. notice the lenght of the wires.
IPB Image

anyway, do i have the wrong kit? i must be doing something wrong...t says it's four a four cylinder bosch dizzy. purchased this from auto atlanta...
thanks guys...
banger
The kit will work. It will probably be easier if you pull the dizzy to work on it. Just mark where it is, so you can put it back in easier. You will have to re-time the engine anyways, so as long as its close, you are fine. The plastic wire holder does come off, I believe there is a screw holding it. Needless to say, you will see better when you pull the dizzy.
pete914
damn...i don't have a timing gun so i'm worried about pulling the dizzy off. i was told i could switch over without affecting the timing. perhaps they mispoke. thanks for the input banger...
Brando
You can switch over without setting the timing - although it is recommended to re-time the car. If you have small flat-bladed screwdrivers and an extendable magnet you can accomplish this without removing the distributor. You shouldn't have to. It makes it easier, yes, but unnecessary. Changing points and condenser should take maybe 5-10 minutes.

Don't cut the wires. leave them that length.

It's fairly easy and simple...

-Pull rotor.
-Unscrew points and disconnect from condenser - then throw away.
-Unscrew condenser from side of distributor housing and throw away.
-Attach new sensor to distributor plate, run wires through old hole for condenser wiring. It should also have a plug to fill the hole.
-Attach wires to coil per instructions.

From here out, keep a new set of points and condenser in a plastic baggie with the screws you removed from your old ones, and a piece of cardboard about the thickness of a business card for setting the gap. It's a good "just in case" to have in your glove box if the electronic unit ever fries.
Jake Raby
Changing to the electronic unit will change the timing!!!!!!

You MUST verify timing after the unit is installed, no matter what the instructions say!!
Spoke
QUOTE(Brando @ Dec 31 2007, 04:25 PM) *

From here out, keep a new set of points and condenser in a plastic baggie with the screws you removed from your old ones, and a piece of cardboard about the thickness of a business card for setting the gap. It's a good "just in case" to have in your glove box if the electronic unit ever fries.

agree.gif

I've run Pertronix in my 71 and 74. Good stuff. Definitely need to re-time after install. Own a 914? You should own or be able to borrow a timing light and voltmeter.

Spoke
Gint
You'd be a lot better of pulling the dizzy to install and borrow or buy a timing light. It's a royal bitch getting that condenser block hold down screw off with the dizzy installed. And as already pointed out, you're going to need to re-time anyway.

Taking short cuts will almost always cost you more time/effort/money in the long run.
pete914
alright...sounds good. so the condenser isn't needed with the electronic ignition and can be discarded? in the instructions they outline a set-up using it and not using...i'm never sure.
my main issue was getting that clip holding the green wires off the dizzy...but it sounds like i'm going to have to remove it so that answers that problem.

computers4kids
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 1 2008, 08:33 AM) *

You'd be a lot better of pulling the dizzy to install and borrow or buy a timing light. It's a royal bitch getting that condenser block hold down screw off with the dizzy installed. And as already pointed out, you're going to need to re-time anyway.

Taking short cuts will almost always cost you more time/effort/money in the long run.

Gint is absolutely correct..."shortcuts will almost always cost you..."

I do partially disagree with the statement above that mentions removing and throwing away the "condensor." If your pertronix fails at an un-opportune time, which it will, you will be need to pop your spare points and condensor back in while sitting on the side of "who knows where."

You might consider leaving the condensor attached to the distributor and just leave the wire loose and unattached. I know it's not as glamorous, but how do you plan of attaching it broken down when that condensor attaching screw is so hard to get to with the dizzy installed?

Now that I'm done preaching, "did I follow my own advice"...NO
Gint
QUOTE(pete914 @ Jan 1 2008, 09:48 AM) *

alright...sounds good. so the condenser isn't needed with the electronic ignition and can be discarded? in the instructions they outline a set-up using it and not using...i'm never sure.
my main issue was getting that clip holding the green wires off the dizzy...but it sounds like i'm going to have to remove it so that answers that problem.

Yup. Throw the condensor in a bag with the points and keep them in your trunk in case the electronic unit ever burns up.

The first thing I do with every 914 is put the motor on #1 TDC and verify timing marks on the fan and flywheel and the distributor orientation. Then I can pull the dizzy at will whenever I'm doing tune-up. My current car is carb'd and the dizzy is 180 degrees out. Runs great. On of these days I'll pull the drive gear and turn it 180 degrees so that the dizzy oriented properly. But since I know it's out and where all of the timing marks are, it's a non-issue.
McMark
Pull off the points and condenser. Don't worry about breaking them, you won't need them (buy a new set to throw your tool kit).

Install the Pertronix adapter plate inside the distributor.

Thread the new black/red wires through the little hole. This can be a PITA, but I promise that they will fit through one at a time. Then poke the grommet through.

Attach the Pertronix unit to the adapter plate.

Slide the Pertronix trigger ring onto the center shaft. Turn as you install so the lobes line up with their respective grooves. This is a part that some people have trouble with because they fit rather tightly and so you must first make sure that it's lined up correctly, and then push rather hard. Some are harder than others.

Set the air gap using the provided clear plastic 'feeler gauge'.

Check that everything is nice and tight, put a couple of drips of oil down the hole in the rotor shaft top (this should be done at each oil change), and install the rotor and then the cap.

Hook the black wire up to the - (1) side of the coil, and the red wire to the + (15) side of the coil. IF YOU GET THESE BACKWARDS YOU WILL FRY YOUR NEW PERTRONIX IN 0.0001 ms when you turn the key.

Set the timing using the Haynes instructions.
Jake Raby
Installing the entire Mallory Uni-Lite dizzy is much simpler... :-)
Rand
I wish there was a simple and affordable Djet FI trigger solution for the Mallory.
SirAndy
also, make sure the new wires inside the dizzy don't rub on the moveable part of the mounting plate.
it will wear through the soft insulation on the wires and shorten out in no time ...

ask me how i know ...
dry.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.