Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Seal Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
How do I get the input shaft seal out of the transmission? The input shaft gets in the way of applying an leverage.

Thanks,
Dan
KaptKaos
QUOTE(solex @ Jan 1 2008, 11:50 AM) *

How do I get the input shaft seal out of the transmission? The input shaft gets in the way of applying an leverage.

I think I pushed mine out from the inside. I don't recall for certain.
solex
Joe,
I'm just replacing the seal, the transmission is still together and I do not have plans to take it apart.

Thanks,
Dan
KaptKaos
Just the input seal?

I did all of mine when I resealed it. You know "while you're in there."

I am pretty sure I pushed it out. The question becomes, how do you press it back in with the input shaft there? Assuming you get the old one out, how will you make sure you get the new one in right?

That's why I think I did mine with the input shaft out. Others will know better than I.
McMark
Get a seal puller.

IPB Image

Cheap and available at any parts store.
solex
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 1 2008, 03:31 PM) *

Get a seal puller.

IPB Image

Cheap and available at any parts store.

This tool is what I'm using and am having difficulty getting leverage with the input shaft in the way, I guess I have to try harder.

Thanks,
Dan
McMark
You really need to jam the hook in there deep. Just be careful not to push the seal inside. It's one of those things that is tricky the first time, but each time is gets easier.
ejm
agree.gif That seal can be really difficult to remove. Be careful not to gouge the mainshaft or the case.
911quest
The seal puller works great but you can also screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and use pliers to pull it out.
TimT
screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and use pliers to pull it out.

or a slide-hammer..... Ive done that more than once

wertygrog
seal puller worked for me! Just be real careful tose. not gouge the tranny case...
Cap'n Krusty
I've used a long 1/4" flat blade screwdriver successfully for about 40 years. The Cap'n
racunniff
QUOTE(TimT @ Jan 1 2008, 10:42 PM) *

screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and use pliers to pull it out.

or a slide-hammer..... Ive done that more than once

agree.gif

That's how I did it today. The "seal" actually is largely metal - drill a pilot hole (being careful not to drop metal shavings into the guts of the tranny) then insert a screw on your slide hammer, bang, bang, and it pops right out:

Click to view attachment

Installing the new one is as simple as finding a piece of pipe the right size to use as a drift:

Click to view attachment

Per Dr. Evil in a different thread, you just need to get it in far enough that the release bearing guide tube can be installed flush. Like this:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.