woobn8r
Past or present as above???
SirAndy
yes biggrin.gif

FG bumper based on the '75 bumper

bye1.gif Andy
woobn8r
Thanks Andy,

But I couldn't find a Sheridan "reproduction" bumper...only racing parts "based" on the general shape .....

Does anyone know of a "street car" REPRODUCTION '75 bumper in fiberglass that is (or was) available.
rick 918-S
I don't have a bumper source for you but I noticed your selling your Touring. You didn't mention that when we talked. I want one of those!
andys
I've often wondered how the late ('75+) bumpers would look if they were body colored, shiney, and fiberglass. Love 'em or hate 'em, I think they change the look of the front of the car not necessarily in an unfavorable way, it's just that they look big probablty because they're only available in black. On a black car, they tie-in better, but on any other color they really dominate.

I've got a '75 bumper and even considered duplicating it in fiberglass to see how they'd look. Problem is that since it's rubber the edges are wavy and it would take some work to get the finished part right.

Andys
SirAndy
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 2 2008, 05:26 AM) *

But I couldn't find a Sheridan "reproduction" bumper...only racing parts "based" on the general shape .....

Does anyone know of a "street car" REPRODUCTION '75 bumper in fiberglass that is (or was) available.

Roger Sheridan makes his parts to order.
Call him and ask if he can make you the bumper part only. His parts are based on the '75/'76 bumper, so he should be able to make you what you want ...

bye1.gif Andy
woobn8r
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 2 2008, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 2 2008, 05:26 AM) *

Roger Sheridan makes his parts to order.
Call him and ask if he can make you the bumper part only. His parts are based on the '75/'76 bumper, so he should be able to make you what you want ...

bye1.gif Andy

That's good to know...thanks again Andy....
woobn8r
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 2 2008, 11:05 AM) *

I don't have a bumper source for you but I noticed your selling your Touring. You didn't mention that when we talked. I want one of those!

I wasn't really trying to sell it....but there's only about 5 in Canada.....and this guy had been bugging me......and he came over during the holidays.....well, the price was right!

Now we have to decide on a replacement for the wife. Looks like a Cooper S coming our way.
woobn8r
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 2 2008, 12:27 PM) *

I've often wondered how the late ('75+) bumpers would look if they were body colored, shiney, and fiberglass. Love 'em or hate 'em, I think they change the look of the front of the car not necessarily in an unfavorable way, it's just that they look big probablty because they're only available in black. On a black car, they tie-in better, but on any other color they really dominate.

I've got a '75 bumper and even considered duplicating it in fiberglass to see how they'd look. Problem is that since it's rubber the edges are wavy and it would take some work to get the finished part right.

Andys

I had always dismissed them because they were rubber (and heavy). There are a few styling cues I could do without, but I like the shape and concept...just look at the COTM nominees #3 (blue)....sweet.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=982222

If we could loose the accordion sides and the mini tits...basically just keeping the main shape and the turn signals....whoa....not too shabby, me thinks.

Sheridan kits really look nice, and I think that gives an inkling of an idea on how this nose would look in body colour.
andys
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 2 2008, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Jan 2 2008, 12:27 PM) *

Andys

I had always dismissed them because they were rubber (and heavy). There are a few styling cues I could do without, but I like the shape and concept...just look at the COTM nominees #3 (blue)....sweet.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=982222

If we could loose the accordion sides and the mini tits...basically just keeping the main shape and the turn signals....whoa....not too shabby, me thinks.

Sheridan kits really look nice, and I think that gives an inkling of an idea on how this nose would look in body colour.

It's difficult for me to envision how a body colored bumper would look when viewing that #3 blue car. Those black rubber bumpers are so dominant it's hard to tell. The early front bumper make a 914 look slightly stubby in the front, but we're all so accustom to that that we define the 914 look that way. If I squint real hard, the rubber bumper creates a slightly more flowing shape (with the emphasis on "slightly") by extending the hood slope a bit more forward.

Perhaps you're right. The Sheridan front bumper portion of his kit does give an idea of the "look" of what a body colored bumper would be like. I wouldn't mind doing a project like this, but for now I'm consumed with trying to finish my conversion.

Andys
tod914
How about making a lightweight frame for the rubber cover and attach it to the existing bumper shocks? The rubber cover in itself isn't heavy.
woobn8r
Ya, but, you still have to make a frame of some substance...which can be lighter...but not light.... And you still have the issues of rubber degredation, wavy edges, freaky deeky lookin' contour lines moulded in the rubber etc...

A clean design f/g bumper would be the answer...if one existed.
Dave_Darling
Doesn't Rich Bontempi over at HPH sell those? At least the front ones, IIRC.

--DD
woobn8r
Thanks for the lead Dave....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.